Firestorm downloads for. Android

TriciaLangford

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

As you might have seen Lumiya isnt on the 3rd party list anymore, this can have several reasons ... just not want, or don't meet the requirements for it anymore... in the last case i'd reccomend not to use it.

Whether or not a viewer is listed in the viewer directory doesn't mean anything.

"The Viewer Directory is a self-certification program. Linden Lab does not represent or warrant any independent testing or verification of compliance of any application listed in the Viewer Directory. We disclaim all liability associated with applications in the Viewer Directory." - Third Party Viewer Policy, 6.c.

1 hour ago, Jules1979 said:

I am using Lumiya Viewer for Android OS. http://www.lumiyaviewer.com

As you might have seen Lumiya isnt on the 3rd party list anymore, this can have several reasons ... just not want, or don't meet the requirements for it anymore... in the last case i'd reccomend not to use it.

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Whether or not a viewer is listed in the viewer directory doesn't mean anything.

"The Viewer Directory is a self-certification program. Linden Lab does not represent or warrant any independent testing or verification of compliance of any application listed in the Viewer Directory. We disclaim all liability associated with applications in the Viewer Directory." - Third Party Viewer Policy, 6.c.

Pretty much yes... it means little.

But, if the Lab gets complaints or the viewer causes problems it vanishes from this list. So, if it is in the list, the Lab isn't having problems with it.

Viewers may not be in the list because the author objects to something in the agreement they have to make with the Lab to be in the list. So, exclusion from the list is not necessarily a bad thing. 

There is no guarantee of safety with any viewer. The Lab is likely the safest source of a viewer. They have a vested interest in keeping you safe and providing an as advertised product. But, they are not hack proof. None of the viewers are.

Firestorm is extremely popular. Back in the day when the ancestor was Emerald the programmers got caught abusing users. These days the team making Firestorm strives to live down a smeared reputation. So, that viewer too is likely way safe as viewers go. Sort of like Jack-n-Box burgers are the least likely to present health problems because they got burnt and now have extensive testing in each store. Similarly FS has safety features not in the Linden viewer.

Just turning on your computer is a risk... Quantifying the risk with viewers is difficult. I think the best evaluation tool is reputation and users experience. Do you know the viewer's reputation? Do you know the reputation of those compiling the viewer?

Speaking of viewer safety, there's a scam going on related to Firestorm.  Messages are being sent encouraging people to download the "Pro" version of Firestorm and directing people to a malware site.  THERE IS NO "FIRESTORM PRO".  For more details, see Inara Pey's blog post: https://modemworld.me/2018/11/13/firestorm-fake-website-and-downloads-warning/

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1547 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.