Blurry Avatar-New Viewer Problems

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4055 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone out there have problems with blurry avatars since downloading the new viewer? Yesterday I downloaded the new viewer and now my avatar is blurry 90% of the time. Everytime I take her clothes off, or put new clothes on, she is either blurry on the top, or the bottom. I can see almost invisible lines on her bottom part when it is blurry and the same goes with her top.

My friend sees her clearly when I see her blurry and vice versa. When I rebake, she is clear for me just before the rebake and once it takes place,she is blurry again. I never had this problem with the old viewers...only once when I I tried the first version of this viewer-I went back to my old one and stayed with it until yesterday.

I have three avatars and the same thing has happened with each one, so I know it is not my avatar. I have tried rebaking, clearing my cache, removing all of my avatars hair, clothes, skins, shapes,eyes etc. and then putting them back on again. I reset my browser and contacted live support for help, but have not been able to solve this problem.

My game was perfectly fine until I downloaded the new viewer....I had been afraid to download it because of the first one they released, but I thought by now they would have fixed this problem.

Does anyone else have the same problem or any ideas on how to fix it? Thank you.

I have had blurring problems from time to time with each viewer, and have had mixed results with the suggested fixes like rebaking and switching outfits. The blurring was worse on some days than others, and always seemed to go away and come back regardless of anything I did. Go figure.

I'm new to SL, but not to computers. A lot of people seemed to think it had something to do with the cache (on our individual PCs). I did actually find my SL cache once, hidden under layers of folders, but could not find it anywhere tonight. I had to restore my system a few days ago; maybe that moved or removed my cache, I don't know.

Anyway, after reading several threads, and resetting my cache on my SL viewer to no avail.  I tried something different.

Here is what I did tonight: I signed into SL. I opened me/preferences/set-up. Where it gives the option to reset the cache, it also offers the option to "create new folder". I created a new folder.

Out of curiosity I looked for "new folder" and sure enough, there it is under users/my name, all by itself instead of hiding away in my system files somewhere. After signing out of SL, I went back and opened new folder, and all my new cache data from SL is inside.

I don't really like having a file named new folder right there, and want to change the name, but my avatar seems to be nice and clear so far and I'm afraid I'll break the link and bring back the corruption.

I don't know if this is what really helped, but it seems to be, so you might try it. I'm sure when you are given the option to create a new folder you can rename it and put it where you want. But it does seem to work better than resetting the cache ever did.

If my problem comes back, I'll let you know. Meanwhile I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

(Just for the record, the only textures that ever seemed to corrupt were my avatar textures, so I'm pretty sure the problem arose from the link from SL to my computer files. Maybe it's from data being repeated and deleted over and over again in the same place on the hard drive???)

I used 2.x since Dec 2010 (2.4 version). But there is so much seriously borked in both 2.4 and 2.6 that i went back to 1.23.5. Borked issues are AA, Anisotrpoic, much slower texture load, micro freezes, high volatile fps, et cetera.

I want to enjoy SL inworld, not experiment with the viewer 80% of the time. 2.x Should not be out of Beta stage actually.

As i am never going to use 3rd party viewers 1.23.5 is very smooth, fast and easy to use for daily usage. Upto today it is the most reliable and smooth client ever.

Of course some features are missed like multi attachments and more of course. Should i really need those i log in with 2.4, however for daily play 1.23.5 is perfect, smooth and very fast. Even sim crossings aren't noticed, brilliant.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Old_versions

According to Philip Linden he will let 1.23.5 alive as long as 2.x isn't upto level and it is far from it.

Yes, 2.6.3 appears to have a return of blurry avatar disease. Later builds appear to be OK so I think that maybe the bug was already found and fixed for the next release. This problem has come ad gone since the new renderer appeared in Snowglobe, they are walking a tightrope with those texture priorities and LODs.

Thank you for all of the helpful information I have received since I posted last night. I am going to save all of the information, and am going to try it all.

For now I am going to go back to 2.3 (my fav. so far) and when I get over the frustration from yesterday, I will try the new viewer again and use all the info. posted to see if I can get it to work properly for me.

Thanks again, it's nice to know I'm not the only one having so many viewer problems :)

I found something interesting, right-click avatar, then edit My outfit, then exit, works better to stop blur than a plain rebake. I do not know why it works better, but I will guess that the little camera reset from appearance mode gets the textures a little priority bump somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This problem occurs for me too though its not my avatar that is getting blurry - but the one of my friend who for most of my time on SL is right beside me.

I already updated my viewer to the latest one 2.6.9 - yet to no avail...

This is really frustrating.

I deleted my cache folders in these locations just a few days ago to solve this problem:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\SecondLife

Note that this was deleting -too much- and as a result I also ended up wiping out my chat logs and landmarks (I didn't realize landmarks were locally stored). ALL of my landmarks from 2009 on, went poof. Actually kinda nice to have that happen after the first few seconds of horror I realized I'd just cut my inventory in half and gotten rid of a lot of junk. :)

But I think you only need to delete the one under Local - every few weeks or viewer upgrade most likely.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke too fast. Just after posting that the latest viewer worked ok, i tried to set the graphics higher and then the blurry clothing issue started again. even setting it lower again and clearing cache a many times, it still has blurry clothing issues. This is very frustrating. 

I removed my earlier post about the latest 2-7-2-232124_BetaViewer working fine, but must mention it again, since i'm going back to using it again.

• 1 month later...

I didn't have any trouble with blurry clothes until the most recent updates with Viewer 2 (on the Mac platform). I have discovered, however, that it occurs when I wear layers of clothing (e.g., a shirt, with the underwear part of the shirt and pants, or a jacket over a shirt). Some of the menus of HUDs also appear to be blurry. Anyone find anything to fix these other than simpy not wearing layers?

Baoluo Xue wrote:

I didn't have any trouble with blurry clothes until the most recent updates with Viewer 2 (on the Mac platform). I have discovered, however, that it occurs when I wear layers of clothing (e.g., a shirt, with the underwear part of the shirt and pants, or a jacket over a shirt). Some of the menus of HUDs also appear to be blurry. Anyone find anything to fix these other than simpy not wearing layers?

Disable HTTP Textures in the Dev-Menu. Then do a rebake. This should do the trick.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4055 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.