Pondering buying land and/or premium

Damian Mills

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2059 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I need to drop a casper dropbox somewhere and it needs to have some permanence.  So for the first time I'm pondering buying land as opposed to renting and I'm trying to understand how a premium membership might help.  I mean... in theory I should be able to get the premium membership along with a linden home and put the dropbox in my home and presto... "permanent" land for a year and no further fees, right?

And while I'm talking about that linden home, I'm assuming it's going to a poorly constructed, textured, scripted, and animated home in an ugly neighborhood.  In other words, it'd be useless for actually living in.  Is that about right?  Can it be scraped and replaced with a nice sky platform?  Where are these linden homes?  Can they be visited?

Thanks in advance

7 answers to this question

No, you cannot remove a Linden Home or alter its exterior, and you may not build anything in the sky.  Ugliness is in the eye of the beholder, so I can't advise you there.

You can learn all you need to know about Linden Homes at

Well, almost everything.  As most residents who follow the news know, Linden Lab is likely to be rolling out a new incarnation of the Linden Homes sometime reasonably soon .  It's anyone's guess what they will look like and what "reasonably soon" means, but you can read for yourself in any of the SL15 posts in the official blogs, or you can follow the speculations in any of the threads in the General Discussion forum where people have been theorizing recently.

18 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I'll send you some landmarks to Linden Home areas so you can check them out yourself in world.

That landmark package was appreciated, thanks.  A picture is worth a thousand words and all.

For anyone else reading this, my assessment is that the living conditions in a Linden Home were not that bad.  In fact, pretty good for economy-class lodgings.  The homes appear to be unfurnished meaning they can be populated with reasonable furniture and animations.  The neighborhoods themselves are designed and controlled by the lindens so they are not eye sores.  Here's a view looking into a cluster of homes which seem to be arranged around a small central courtyard.

kdRSFUP.jpg

For my purposes this will serve.  It gives me a place to rez my casper dropbox for business purposes and offers somewhere other than a telehub to call home.  I could have my own radio!!!

Note that there may be some big changes on the horizon. You might want to wait a week if you can until after the Town Hall meeting on Sept 13th. It appears from recent developments that things will be changing some in the land area.  ALSO, you can rent a 512 lot VERY cheaply or even a small "home" for as little as $5 a week. So if you aren't going to USE that 1024 tier allotment that might be a better option. 

It's worth noting that Linden Homes, which you can't remove, take up an area of 512sqm. You could otherwise acquire a 1024sqm parcel on the Mainland with no Linden Home.

It may come down to what you want in the neighbourhood. Some people love the diversity of (most of the) Mainland - a rustic beach house next to dance club next to a steampunk air ship next to a castle with high walls. Some people don't like that and prefer a themed and tidy neighbourhood, which Linden Home neighbourhoods are. 

I live in a Tahoe Linden Home. I'm currently looking for a Mainland parcel, but I do like how tidy, quiet, and low-lag my Linden neighbourhood is. It will be a while before I move out.

It's probably worth mentioning that you can also use your Premium land fee waiver to cover the monthly cost of a 1024 sq m parcel on the Horizons subcontinent, which is Linden owned.  Those parcels offer a choice of 5 different styles of homes  that you can change at will or can remove entirely and replace with one of your own.  Like the Linden Homes, Horizons homes do not count against the parcel's L.I. allowance.  Unlike Linden Homes, there are no restrictions against commercial use of the property or against building in the sky.  Your parcel can also be group-owned. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2059 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.