not walking

SOLAR Xaris

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

10 answers to this question

Use Ctrl-Shift-1 to open the Viewer Statistics panel. Look at PING, Lost Packets, Time Dilation, and Server FPS. Ping and Lost Packets are indicators of how the connection is working. Ping should be 250ms or less. You can live with <=500ms but it will suck. Ping consistently over that and you'll start getting disconnected. A couple of seconds of high ping is annoying but the system will tolerate it. Packet Loss should be <1%. Even at 1% you'll experience problems. Often at login you'll see higher packet loss. Don't be too concerned. The serious issues are when when post-login loss is high.

Time and Server FPS are indicators of how the region server is performing. Time should be 1. Within the range 0.80 to 1.00 is tolerable. Server FPS below 40 is an indication the region is overloaded. These two numbers spike and dip. That is common and not a problem. But, seconds of less than optimal indicates a problem.

To locate the problem follow the steps at http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

Even with a good general Internet connection your connection to the SL servers may have problems.

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:
3 hours ago, 3DSunLoverGirl said:

You wouldn't have inadvertently activated Movelock, would you?

If you use the Firestorm viewer, check that by hitting CTRL+ALT+P

I have never had any reason to use that Firestorm feature, but IIRC it automatically disengages if you move.  I doubt that you can accidentally lock yourself in place with it.  It's just like sitting, which prevents a griefer from doing all sorts of nasty things to you until you decide to stand up again.

4 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I have never had any reason to use that Firestorm feature, but IIRC it automatically disengages if you move.  I doubt that you can accidentally lock yourself in place with it.  It's just like sitting, which prevents a griefer from doing all sorts of nasty things to you until you decide to stand up again.

An auto-disengage is news to me.  I've always had to switch it off manually.  But since I hardly ever use it, I could very well be wrong!

On 7/5/2018 at 9:57 AM, Rolig Loon said:

It doesn't release if you try to move.  Just tried it to be sure I wasn't imagining things.

I suppose that is why a constant stream of people that accidentally engaged it show up in the Firestorm Support asking what happened.

Re: Firestorm move lock -- You are all correct. Look in Preferences->Move & View->Movement. There's a checkbox under "If built in LSL Bridge movelock is active ..." that says "Lock and unlock position after stopping or starting movement." If it's checked you can have movelock on and still walk around. If it's not checked you're stuck in one place until you disable movelock.

Not my discovery ... it was posted somewhere else in the forums by someone else. I'd guess Whirly, but I'm not sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.