Mesh hair disappears when zoom out

gr333nade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2205 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello guys, this is my first time playing SL and i'm 2 weeks old now :D I have a classic avatar and recently i bought a mesh hair. When i wear it, it looks completely normal but when i zoom out a bit, it disappears. I really like this hair and want to fix this problem so please give me some advices T.T Also this is my first post so if there's something wrong, please tell me :)

This is a Level of Detail problem. 

If you are using the Linden Viewer (rather than a third party viewer) your LOD settings are 1.25 by default. Most creators make things with a higher LOD level in mind (like 2 which is what Firestorm has as the default).

The result is what you see.  So it is always go to "zoom out" when trying the hair demo :D.  

The only way you can FIX (or make it work for you) the issue with this particular hair is to turn you LOD settings up (2 would likely be good -- too high and your computer works harder).  

Found out how to do it in the Linden Viewer in an old post:

Show the “Advanced” menu with Ctrl-Alt-D, or Opt-Ctrl-D on a Mac.

Select “debug settings” near the bottom in advance menu.

In the blank space, copy and paste the word:  RenderVolumeLODFactor

Set it as high as 4 . 

I strongly suggest trying 2. 

• Like 2

Chic's "fix" will also only work for you, not how others percieve you so I hate to break the news to you but most likley you should invest into other hair :( and when doing so listen to the mantra of the old and wise zen monks of SL "demo demo demo"....

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, gr333nade said:

Thank u guys so much for the advices <3 i'll definitely try the demo first before buying something from the store :D

You know I just wanted to say that I RARELY get a hair that doesn't work at LOD2 (Firestorm default).  Since I am the one I see most often standing around my building pad or making exhibits I don't worry too much about the folks at 1 or 1.25. :D. 

And the "fix" of course is not really a fix. The REAL fix is to get ALL hair designers to test at at least 2 and preferably 1.25. But you now know whose hair to watch out for. If one was faulty (unless it was an old one maybe) then there could certainly be that the others are not up to snuff. 

And no we don't want to know who the offender was :SwingingFriends: -- against the rules AND not nice :D

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

You know I just wanted to say that I RARELY get a hair that doesn't work at LOD2 (Firestorm default).

A lot depends on if it's rigged or unrigged mesh hair...

Rigged mesh benefits from that "LoD's not used" bug certain people complain about, but unrigged does not.

Unrigged mesh hair suffers from LoD's, and thus can be affected by the SIZE of the invisible root prim it's linked to, check the UNRIGGED hairs made by some vendors. The LoDs are fine it's just that the hair isn't a huge object, and unrigged small objects LoD to death all too quickly.

A friend wears one, they had to edit the root prim up to .25 x .25 x .75, then slice it so they didn't have a huge invisible block sticking out of their head, to stop people seeing them as bald at 20 m.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Klytyna said:

A friend wears one, they had to edit the root prim up to .25 x .25 x .75, then slice it so they didn't have a huge invisible block sticking out of their head, to stop people seeing them as bald at 20 m.

There is a growing evil trend in men's hair to make it nomod - for who knows what reason. The fix sadly can't be done for them.

Nor can fixes to make hat hair :(

14 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

And the "fix" of course is not really a fix. The REAL fix is to get ALL hair designers to test at at least 2 and preferably 1.25. But you now know whose hair to watch out for. If one was faulty (unless it was an old one maybe) then there could certainly be that the others are not up to snuff.

Yeah but can you imagine? It means extra work, and a higher complexity :P when you can instead just tell people that your product are exclusively for "high end" computers and to set object details higher.

1 hour ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Yeah but can you imagine? It means extra work, and a higher complexity :P when you can instead just tell people that your product are exclusively for "high end" computers and to set object details higher.

Actually  it doesn't mean more work or higher complexity. It just means making things differently :D.   There are tons of  hair designers doing a superb job with great LODS and low complexity. The biggest problem that I see  -- and this isn't only about making mesh -- is that people only look at things from THEIR point of view. So in this case if it looks good to them, they call it good.   

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2205 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.