Scamming

SilkenSydney

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2161 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

11 answers to this question

While logged in world, go to Help/Report Abuse.  Fill in the requested details and submit the report.

There are definitely counterfeit versions of popular products like the Catwa mesh heads.  When you rez or wear these items, they will request permission to take $L from your account.  DO NOT CLICK "ALLOW"!!!!!  Detach the item, then report both the person you got it from and, if the creator is a different account, report that person as well. Genuine products will never ask for this permission.

• Like 2

You mean someone is pretending to be the creator of such store and people falls for that scam? I mean  on the official group they often say that no one but the original creator can sell stuff in their behalf.

• Like 1

This is the profile I got when it took my lindens.  Its really not the amount they got but what they tried for.   They started with 100,000L and worked their way down.  All I ant to do is have LL trace it and see if they can stop this.   Once the problem happened, I started looking and found this profile ...1 month old.  I know its not Catwa and they are reputable.  But this clown...grr.  I hope LL can find and stop it before more people get their money gone.

catwaabuse.thumb.jpg.9475616db61d99ab98ee0977eb4df7ff.jpg

19 minutes ago, SilkenSydney said:

... when it took my lindens.

There is nothing in that screenshot which would explain how anything or anyone would take L$ off your account without any permission. 

Yes, that's one of the many scammer profiles attempting to pass off as a Catwa representative.

And as it's been written before, there's nothing else you or anyone of us can do, except for abuse reporting.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

there's nothing else you or anyone of us can do,

except look twice.. or even one more again when something asks to debit/credit your balance  ... a store assistant/store wil never ever do that, it should raise all red flags from around the globe.

Also a lot of places warn for false giftcards... sometimes people accept everything ( so put that setting off in your viewer! )

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

except look twice.. or even one more again when something asks to debit/credit your balance  ... a store assistant/store wil never ever do that, it should raise all red flags from around the globe.

Alright, that's true. So true that I guess I considered it set in stone.

There used to be gifts from a rather popular skin brand, usually during Christmas time, where the creator put a full vendor into the gift box. Upon rezzing, that vendor would - naturally - also ask for debit permissions, without any ill meanings. I always found that a little problematic, considering that lots of new folks got those gifts. The support group rather shushed all concerns, unfortunately.

well its theft if they are stealing your cash because you can turn lyndons into real cash,  but again if the person doing it is untraceable due to a vpn or proxy server it would be difficult to trace there real ip address especially if they are using strong encryption,  some sites now have stopped ip addresses that are from known vpn companies, so good luck hope u get it sorted 

13 hours ago, SilkenSydney said:

UPDATE:  Linden Labs was able to recover my money and returned it to me!! 

Thank you Everyone!

Sydney

Count yourself amongst the lucky few - I don't think most people that get scammed get their money back.  Often the scammers will immediately send the money to a different avi who then likely sends it to another a few more times until someone finally cashes it out.  That makes it more difficult to track and recover the L$.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2161 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.