Confuzzled with my Avatar

DeniseLecsx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey, so I am a bit new to SecondLife, and currently still am in the noob phase.

I notice a lot of people using mesh? bodies and heads, so I am curious which ones y'all would recommend. Also, being that I am broke on this game lol, where would be the best place to find clothing, hair, skins, and basic essentials for classic avatars/no mesh?? 

I have seen so many cute stuff, but then i find out that is for mesh bodies :(

I would really appreiate any help/recommendations y'all could toss my way. I may be financial UNstable, but I deserve to look smexy too :D 

Each mesh body and (especially) head has its own style, so it's really a matter of taste which one you go for, though in the case of bodies the availability of clothing specifically designed to fit it with no adjustment is also a major issue. People usually buy the body first before thinking about a head. Have a look at the Mesh Body Addicts website, which has reviews of most popular bodies and a selection of heads and links to the shops where you can get demos. As a guide, the most popular female mesh body currently is Maitreya Lara, followed by the Slink and Belleza models, then Tonic and others like EBody and Altamura. (Hint: EBody do free-but-limited* versions of their bodies) With mesh heads there is no clear market leader so just demo the ones you like the look of.

Clothing for system bodies is often heavily discounted, so there are plenty of freebies and bargains to be had. Try freebie meccas like the Free Dove and search the Marketplace by price. Hair will fit any mesh or system head. For skins, you could try the lucky boards at places like 7 Deadly Skins; some of them give system skins. Nice shoes for system bodies are hard to find - if you want to wear dressy heels then you really need a mesh body, or at least mesh feet. And of course make your own shape; avoid the overpriced shape scams that pollute the marketplace.

* OK OK, 1 L$

Edited by angeoco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I still had my system avi, I love Brii, they had a monthly hunt with a bunch of free outfits, have not been in a while since there mesh offerings never seemed as good. A lot of the older stores have closed in world but they still have a store in the MP, search there for things and select the pricerange you want. Above all do not be in a rush, take your time, it took me over a year before I made the jump to mesh. 

At the moment Rezology has there store discounted in the MP, most items are 25 to 27 lindens, but quite a few are just 1L

Edited by Talligurl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreed on beginning with the system avatar. Look for items bearing either the following 'classic avatars' logo on the ad -

5979b9f038fdd_ClassicAvatarLogo.png.4540ca8ee6ab6ba3c16548148345c9d5.png

- or the 'standard sizing' logo, for mesh items that include sizes that don't require a mesh body -

standard_female.jpg.ee3738aec8525cdd60df71750588cc59.jpg

There are thousands of really nice outfits and separates on Marketplace and at freebie places (such as The Free Dove) inworld. One example is the Sea Hole Outlet on MP, where everything is just L$1. Everything from system clothing to mesh clothing, to footwear for non-mesh feet is there. For skins, someone has already suggested the 7 Deadly Skins lucky boards inworld (click them when the first letter of your username appears on the board to win the skin that's inside, but you need to be fast in order to beat others whose names also start with that letter). Several more of them have now been set so that anyone can use them, not just group members.

Keep an eye on freebie blogs such as FabFree, which constantly blog cheap and free items. They have an 'under 30 days' list of items you can only get if your avatar is less than 30 days old, so definitely check that out. (The free under-30-days skins at Pink Fuel are a must!) And take your time. Learn how the basics of the system avatar work before you dip a toe into the pond of mesh bodies and heads. And be aware that the cheap and free mesh bodies are always feature-limited; usually in the form of not being able to change the skin. They're a good start to learning how to work with mesh body add-ons, but you're limited in how you can customise them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey, so I am a bit new to SecondLife, and currently still am in the noob phase.

Always remember that everyone was once new here as well so you are not a noob hehe.  I have many friends who have stayed with their classic avatar look mostly because they love the look of their avatar and have a ton of free clothes to wear.  My experience changing to mesh a few months ago is that it was expensive.  So far I estimate about 7000 lindens in total for the cost to go to mesh avatar and my wardrobe is significantly less with mesh clothing than my classic avatar. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.