Bryanne Darkwatch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

Just now, Bryanne Darkwatch said:

How can I get my avatar to stop gliding and start walking?

Do you wear an AO? I had the same problem when wearing an AO for my tail.. found out I could fix it by adding a regular body AO too (FS AO didn't work to cancel that issue out)

An inbuildt AO could be hiding anywhere (inbuildt in head, tail, wings, hair...) might be easier to just try if adding a body AO fixes it than finding the culprit...

• Like 1

It could be either the situation described by Fiona or Lillith.  For lag, you can 1) teleport to a different region which (hopefully) is less laggy, or 2) investigate possible problems with your internet connection.  See this blog post: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

As for the possible AO problem, try taking off various likely items...your AO, your shoes, your other attachments...one at a time and see if the problem stops.

Avatar gliding is a combination of viewer, server, and connection issues. Generally, I find the default animations system laggy. So...

There are two types of animation... The System Animations are the default animations. There used to be the Duck Waddle walk that was the default. The system detects what the avatar is doing and supplies a default animation for that behavior, walking, standing, etc.

The default animation has to be delivered to your viewer and then it can play it. When this is lagging you see the avatar glide when you start walking. Once the animation arrives, the avatar walks. The animations get cached so this generally is not an on-going problem.

The second type of animation is handled by an old style Animation Overrider, AO. The script in the AO polls the avatar, repeatedly asking what are you doing now? Then supplies the proper animation. These too are cached. They are used so frequently they tend to behave as if permanently cached. Very seldom do I see a glide. If I change the walk styles/animation I may see a second or two of glide while animation downloads.

The AO polling is script intense. So, a plan was made to do away with it to improve overall performance. The new AO's tell the servers to use specific animations in place of the system defaults. Firestorm's built-in AO is one such AO. The AO does not poll and the system once again decides what to play based on what it sees the avatar doing and what the AO has told it to use. 

I have enough problems with the new system that I typically use my older AO's like ZHAO II. 

When an avatar never walks something between the older polling AO's and newer substitution AO's has gone wrong. Multiple AO's can create a race of changing animations that never gets resolved.

To troubleshoot, switch to the Linden viewer (you didn't give us your tech info, so I have do some guessing) and wear the Character Test avatar. In the top menu, Developer (Ctrl-Alt-Q to reveal/hide)->Avatar->Character Test->Test [Male/Female]. Once the avatar walks, gliding should stop. If not then there is some other problem.

Next revert to your viewer (presumably Firestorm). You'll still be the Test avatar. If you have a gliding problem (beyond an initial second or two) the problem is a Firestorm setting problem. Have the in-world Firestorm Support group help you. Explain what you have already done in your request for help.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
Dumb spelling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.