Kliofiria

Radio ads, is there a way to disable them?

Question

Greetings! Recently I encountered an issue with radio stream on my parcel - there is an extremely annoying advertisements appears each time radio is being turned on and from time to time during the stream itself, sometimes right in the middle of songs. 

These ads are NOT part of the original station and acts more like overlay. For example if you toggle radio on-off-on-off--on-off  - this ad starts broadcasting from the beginning each time radio is "on", plus I Reeeeeally doubt that famous 181.fm will broadcast some *****ty russian car reselling service ads during their stream =_=

So, question is - Is there a way to disable/block these ads without muting the radio itself? enabling/disabling media filter does not affect these events.

7 answers to this question

No.  The ads are a part of the radio stream.  This is not SL's fault, it's the way streaming media works on the internet.  (You're right, they are an overlay, but they are overlaid by the stream's provider, not SL). You can:

• Listen to the stream and put up with the ads;
  • Turn off the stream, and listen to your own local music on your PC or other device;
  • Change the stream to one with fewer or no ads.  One way to do this is to use Winamp or another streaming app on your PC to find stations (use only MP3 format stations, SL does not work with AC3 format.)  Copy and paste the station's URL into your About Land/Music URL window.  An SL "radio" device can make finding or tuning streams more convenient.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Uh-huh, gotcha! So there's a hope that this thing will eventually go away? I mean - this particular station was playing on my parcel for more than week without any advertisements, they only appeared today 

If you were streaming the station outside of SL, you might be able to pay a fee to get the stream without the ads, but there's no way to do that in world.

Get a ASCAP New Media Statutory license, CDBS FCC License, and Amateur Extra radio broadcasting licenses like me and you can broadcast anything you want yourself without any ads, lel

I guess I need to review the Amateur Radio rules again.  I didn't think an Extra Class license conferred the ability to broadcast music.

57 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I guess I need to review the Amateur Radio rules again.  I didn't think an Extra Class license conferred the ability to broadcast music.

No amateur license level allows broadcasting...

https://kk6jyt.com/ham-radio-broadcasting-deliver-your-message-legally/

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

That's for my ham radio, I just included it for the sake of having more things on the list.

the ascap is the important one for music broadcast (and actually does let me broadcast music over frequencies my HealthKit can handle)

05C2E8BB-8056-414C-851C-E4BAC818BA55-6330-0000063AEE252EEC.jpeg