Wow A Terrible Search/Places Bug LL Should Fix ASAP

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2287 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You may disagree what it is a "big store". I never heard of Blueberry. Things can loom large if, say, you are a mesh body user and it's a mesh body store, but if you aren't, it doesn't.

It's not that "no" big stores use this. It's that many do not, and hence there is no screaming.

AND As I've explained they DO NOT NEED search/places so they aren't screaming.

They have so many other sources of traffic that they aren't standing on their totally idle store lot like I and dozens of small merchants. They don't see it. Yet, anyway.

Please note again that there is no screaming, no affirmation from any big merchant of SL, and that is why seven hours have passed with this five-alarm fire and no attention, only claims it is not reproducible.

That's how my point is proven. When/if you see the very big names that command the Lindens' attention say, hey, what's up, call me, as it may be fixed then.

14 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

No. The reason this problem isn't fixed already or admitted by LL is because not a single big merchant or creator shares it. It is a "little guys" problem.

I think you likely haven't researched this. Spend some time trying to find the big events and big stores in search/places. You'll find they aren't there. Because:

1. A store names their entire island after themselves so they can have people come directly by the map search, not web search

2. They don't want traffic -- events are overwhelmed.

3. They don't need traffic -- they have Marketplace sales and inworld is merely an add-on.

4. They don't even know about search/places -- yes, I have schooled several major names on this issue over the years and they marvelled at it and then put themselves in search.

5. Some people who make thousands of dollars in real life every month don't like a recurring $30 expense -- well, one of the reasons the rich are rich is they cut costs like this.

I'm relatively new to second life and I still use the in-world search for the overwhelming majority of my shopping or whatever. A lot of keywords I use now return only a handful or no results at all. For any new user, the primary way they're gonna look for new places is to click the magnifying glass button on the default browser, which takes them directly to this search which is currently broken. This ruins the 'new user experience' which is why I'm surprised LL isn't sitting upright and paying attention.

• Like 1

I would say from the chronic negativity and animosity you have shown in the forums for years, particularly to innocent newbies, that you do not know anything about commerce and your inworld experience in general may be surpassed by your forums experience.

But perhaps you'll admit that the stores in your picks are not showing up in Search.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

3 minutes ago, heygeeksandgamers said:

I'm relatively new... I'm surprised LL isn't sitting upright and paying attention.

Huh? A Linden ask for more information within an hour of the post saying a bug report had been submitted and it's still rather early on the west coast of the US. That suggests to me someone is paying attention. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Minuet Voir said:

Huh? A Linden ask for more information within an hour of the post saying a bug report had been submitted and it's still rather early on the west coast of the US. That suggests to me someone is paying attention. 

Huh? A Linden in fact said a bug any of us can see is "not reproducible" (likely due to ANOTHER bug) and that means they refuse to validate it.

That's not paying attention, that's getting rid of customers with an urgent matter using a typical geek response. 

They've blown off a prominent filer of a JIRA and told them to put in examples which anyone could have instantly supplied without a JIRA, also unaware that people outside the approved inner circle can't file comments on other people's JIRA's.

And it wasn't "within an hour". 

Only persistent adversarial clamoring will get attention to something a Linden has *already* pronounced "not a problem because I can't reproduce it". You have no idea...

1 minute ago, Prokofy Neva said:

You may disagree what it is a "big store". I never heard of Blueberry. Things can loom large if, say, you are a mesh body user and it's a mesh body store, but if you aren't, it doesn't.

It's not that "no" big stores use this. It's that many do not, and hence there is no screaming.

AND As I've explained they DO NOT NEED search/places so they aren't screaming.

They have so many other sources of traffic that they aren't standing on their totally idle store lot like I and dozens of small merchants. They don't see it. Yet, anyway.

Please note again that there is no screaming, no affirmation from any big merchant of SL, and that is why seven hours have passed with this five-alarm fire and no attention, only claims it is not reproducible.

That's how my point is proven. When/if you see the very big names that command the Lindens' attention say, hey, what's up, call me, as it may be fixed then.

Well Prok the reason you never heard of blueberry is you are largely living in the past and tend to use a male avatar and they make primarily fitted mesh female clothing. They are one of the largest stores in second life for several years now along with many of the stores that are affiliated with the region they are located in. You not hearing of them when you are not really a person that is really out there. The mesh clothing stores that sell stuff for mesh bodies are the large stores period. The other stores you may shop at you may think are large because you shop there, but that doesn't mean they are anywhere in near the same league or anywhere near the same sales volume or foot traffic etc. When I define a big store I am talking about a store that is large, one that puts out releases and has people clamoring to be there, places that can cap out a region on a new release of an item etc. Not just a place I shop, but a place that is doing well and has been for a long while now. 

Though as stated you'd realistically have to be living under a rock to not of heard of blueberry at this point, but lets not derail here entirely. This is again affecting almost everyone be they large or small. My place is fairly popular and people spend a lot of time there and it can usually be found pretty easily (keyword optimization for what community I serve) and isn't in search today when it was just the other day and no changes were made by me or any of my staff. Same with people that rent from me in an entirely different region. And it also seems to affect the entire region and every parcel inside the region.

Search for your regions where ravenglass is by name and see if the regions even show up because both regions I have do not show up at all in search by name (they show up on the map, but not in search like is typical). So it is almost like the regions are disappearing entirely from search outside of legacy search and the map...

2 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Just to add - the viewer always shows the "Show place in search" setting  disabled unless you are the owner of the parcel.  I'm presuming you checked the parcel settings while in God mode though, or you checked at the back end.

What's interesting that I've just discovered that on group land at least, this isn't always the case.

That is, I know for a fact that the checked-off box doesn't show for non-officers in my land groups, because customers in stores renting parcels, for whom I have the box checked off, can't see that check and get exasperated. I deal with this several times a week.

But just now, trying to alert store owners to this problem so that LL may begin to care, I discovered that merely by being a member of a VIP group for some stores, I could see that check, i.e. not an officer with land powers, but their "VIP" role. So I'm not sure which group ability is affecting it, but see for yourself.

1 minute ago, Prokofy Neva said:

What's interesting that I've just discovered that on group land at least, this isn't always the case.

That is, I know for a fact that the checked-off box doesn't show for non-officers in my land groups, because customers in stores renting parcels, for whom I have the box checked off, can't see that check and get exasperated. I deal with this several times a week.

But just now, trying to alert store owners to this problem so that LL may begin to care, I discovered that merely by being a member of a VIP group for some stores, I could see that check, i.e. not an officer with land powers, but their "VIP" role. So I'm not sure which group ability is affecting it, but see for yourself.

I can definitely attest to that being the case. Unless you have the proper group role with that authority it will not show to you period. 

20 minutes ago, Lina Pussycat said:

Well Prok the reason you never heard of blueberry is you are largely living in the past and tend to use a male avatar and they make primarily fitted mesh female clothing. They are one of the largest stores in second life for several years now along with many of the stores that are affiliated with the region they are located in. You not hearing of them when you are not really a person that is really out there. The mesh clothing stores that sell stuff for mesh bodies are the large stores period. The other stores you may shop at you may think are large because you shop there, but that doesn't mean they are anywhere in near the same league or anywhere near the same sales volume or foot traffic etc. When I define a big store I am talking about a store that is large, one that puts out releases and has people clamoring to be there, places that can cap out a region on a new release of an item etc. Not just a place I shop, but a place that is doing well and has been for a long while now. 

Though as stated you'd realistically have to be living under a rock to not of heard of blueberry at this point, but lets not derail here entirely. This is again affecting almost everyone be they large or small. My place is fairly popular and people spend a lot of time there and it can usually be found pretty easily (keyword optimization for what community I serve) and isn't in search today when it was just the other day and no changes were made by me or any of my staff. Same with people that rent from me in an entirely different region. And it also seems to affect the entire region and every parcel inside the region.

Search for your regions where ravenglass is by name and see if the regions even show up because both regions I have do not show up at all in search by name (they show up on the map, but not in search like is typical). So it is almost like the regions are disappearing entirely from search outside of legacy search and the map...

It's merely one example. It doesn't matter if I've heard of it or not, I don't care about mesh bodies and many don't and won't. But it's not about that. I don't even care about men's clothing/bodies/shapes. But I shop at all the top and second-tier house & garden stores for my rentals so I am hardly "living in the past". I go constantly to the big merchants' events. Blueberry just wasn't memorable *shrugs*.

It's not the point -- the point is: stores that loom large in your mind do not represent the norm, nor stores that loom large in my mind or any individual's mind. They are only one example. Sure, you can prove "objectively" that Blueberry is a "big store" but that isn't the debate -- the debate is ARE THEY A BIG STORE THAT DEPENDS ON SEARCH/PLACES FOR THEIR INCOME? And the answer is -- no. People come from blogs, picks, merchant events, whatever. Not search/places.

I have a shopping survey I have run for years, asking people how they find things. Search/places is more important than the Lindens and some oldbies admit, but it is not THE way that people find things. They find them other ways.

I've just visited a half dozen stores that I shop at all the time which aren't THE biggest names, but let's say the second tier -- well known to house and garden shoppers, let's say, present at many major events. I can even see the checkoff box on search/places. But they aren't in search. They are victims of the bug.

Yet they haven't complained yet. Or if they have (I know a few have in fact), it isn't registering with LL on their Care-o-Meter yet because they do not represent large amounts of tier or income or reputational enhancement.

PS -- we also don't know if they realize it yet, because they don't take part in the toxic forums. But let's see when various forums regs with second-tier stores start waking up today, maybe they will care. 

I already know my regions don't show up. It's not about me proving it, it's about top names in SL getting LL's ear.

Go to Blueberry. See if you can see the check (likely you can't). See if there are customers there. If there are, they didn't come by search/places - hello! IM the Blueberry owner. See if you can get them to care, and then LL to care. 

Edited by Prokofy Neva

• Moderators

It looks like we're waiting for everyone to get in to see the fix pushed, but it should be deployed here soon.

FYI, God mode allows us to see the check box. It's possible that I wasn't in a parcel that was checked, which is why I asked for a specific SLURL. Thanks to those that provided them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Jagix Linden said:

It looks like we're waiting for everyone to get in to see the fix pushed, but it should be deployed here soon.

FYI, God mode allows us to see the check box. It's possible that I wasn't in a parcel that was checked, which is why I asked for a specific SLURL. Thanks to those that provided them.

You said my parcels were not showing up in search because the boxes weren't checked. I assure you they are checked. You wrote:

Ravenglass, specifically, did not appear to have the box checked on any of the land I investigated,

So that suggests to me that god-mode isn't overriding this bug-not-feature. 

Or I suppose you are looking at some parcel already rented, and then it wouldn't have the box checked. The examples I sent all definitely have the box checked.

You can see group debits paying for them, for one. And they remain in place.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

My Main Store on Southpointe is gone and only one of my small satellite shops is showing.

I was wondering why my traffic had been so slow as of late!!

Here is my Main Store, it is ALWAYS checked ad Show in Search.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SouthPointe/60/130/30

It is not showing up at all. And my store traffic is next to nil.

I and colleagues 100% rely on the Show in Search feature to work, and we are paying for it.

I have had a store in SL for 10 years. TEN years. And this has always worked.

I literally cannot stay in SL as a business person if this is not fixed. And if I am not a business person in SL, then I will not stay in SL at all, since I will have no reason to stay. I own land and I spend a LOT of money in SL on uploads of all my designs. Please fix this ASAP if you want to keep people like me in here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Just to add - the viewer always shows the "Show place in search" setting  disabled unless you are the owner of the parcel.  I'm presuming you checked the parcel settings while in God mode though, or you checked at the back end.

What I've just learned is that a major second-tier store owner who tried to get the members of the Casper Vendors group to care about this bug found out they DID NOT CARE

They don't see it

They don't use search/places

They use Classifieds. Those still work. But not all of us have tens of thousands of dollars to spend on multiple CLASSIFIED ads as distinct from SEARCH PLACES ads.

This is why @Lina Pussycat you need to hear. The users of the virtually monopolist leading vendor system DO NOT CARE because THEY DO NOT USE SEARCH/PLACES

3 hours ago, ChinRey said:

That's easier said than done when the JIRA is closed for comments. Here is one example. maybe Whirly or somebody else who has the permission to comment on the JRIA can forward it?

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Keswick/150/230/39

Added to the JIRA.

Just to note, the JIRA is still locked down to comments on issues you did not file because of the recent spam attacks.

However you can request access to comment on any JIRA issue by sending an email to LetMeIn at lindenlab dot com

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

It's merely one example. It doesn't matter if I've heard of it or not, I don't care about mesh bodies and many don't and won't. But it's not about that. I don't even care about men's clothing/bodies/shapes. But I shop at all the top and second-tier house & garden stores for my rentals so I am hardly "living in the past". I go constantly to the big merchants' events. Blueberry just wasn't memorable *shrugs*.

It's not the point -- the point is: stores that loom large in your mind do not represent the norm, nor stores that loom large in my mind or any individual's mind. They are only one example. Sure, you can prove "objectively" that Blueberry is a "big store" but that isn't the debate -- the debate is ARE THEY A BIG STORE THAT DEPENDS ON SEARCH/PLACES FOR THEIR INCOME? And the answer is -- no. People come from blogs, picks, merchant events, whatever. Not search/places.

I have a shopping survey I have run for years, asking people how they find things. Search/places is more important than the Lindens and some oldbies admit, but it is not THE way that people find things. They find them other ways.

I've just visited a half dozen stores that I shop at all the time which aren't THE biggest names, but let's say the second tier -- well known to house and garden shoppers, let's say, present at many major events. I can even see the checkoff box on search/places. But they aren't in search. They are victims of the bug.

Yet they haven't complained yet. Or if they have (I know a few have in fact), it isn't registering with LL on their Care-o-Meter yet because they do not represent large amounts of tier or income or reputational enhancement.

PS -- we also don't know if they realize it yet, because they don't take part in the toxic forums. But let's see when various forums regs with second-tier stores start waking up today, maybe they will care. 

I already know my regions don't show up. It's not about me proving it, it's about top names in SL getting LL's ear.

Go to Blueberry. See if you can see the check (likely you can't). See if there are customers there. If there are, they didn't come by search/places - hello! IM the Blueberry owner. See if you can get them to care, and then LL to care. 

And my point is they aren't "large in my mind" they are large because they are large and have a high volume of sales with a good product line  that is updated regularly enough to keep people coming back for a new item at least once or twice a month. Thinking a store isn't big just because they aren't memorable to you doesn't mean they are small. Shopping at big furniture or housing stores is diff than shopping at clothing stores and again almost every big furniture and housing store still uses search listings.  Trompe Loeil,  cheeky pea does, barnswurth anubis does etc. Almost all the top tier stores that have a  regular base of customers use the search listing and while many "doin't need it" anymore because they have a high enough customer return rate who use their subscriber things for updates or their groups for invites. Again I shop at the same stores you probably do and I have always seen them show up with land parcel search.

And I'm sure Blue does care and LL does care to a point. You need to stop with your fetid inner core ***** that you've been spewing for the last 12+ years now it doesn't exist. Nor does your little made up toxic 20 (we had jerseys made up back in the day just to mock you because of the way you acted you know that right?). Your whole ideology that LL only cares about top stores is severely flawed logic and it has been for a long long time now and you are still under this assumption that somehow SL is controlled by a few elites whom you have accused several people including myself in some fashion over the years. I don't have a linden's ear at all. 

I think you go off because back in the day you used to (if you were friendly and non hostile toward them) be able to get the help of a linden. I remember Linden's used to frequent my establishment back then on alts and even as themselves and would be helpful if asked and you could actually contact them in world. I was nothing special and someone just wandering around back then when I met Jack Linden and he'd help out because the linden's at the time were active in world regularly. 

It has little to do with LL only caring about big stores or the like and yes many stores do fine without being in search when they are big. The fact is they still rely on them for people on occasion finding them etc. Foot traffic and the like definitely slows down when search isn't up because again while people may know the store many rely on search to actually get to a location they know about. Having customers there doesn't necessarily mean that lack of search being there isn't affecting their traffic in some fashion or new people finding the place that don't look at fashion blogs. 

2 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Oh great!  Thanks for the fast fix!

It didn't deploy yet. And something that cost people a day's business is devastating for the small business owner or even a big one. Imagine if Amazon dropped out of Google for a day. And note that it is being fixed because I jumped up and down and also got 10 merchants to go to JIRA, call Linden, etc. It's hard work.

Again, contemplate this: the entire users group of Casperlet say they DO NOT CARE because they DO NOT USE this.

Meanwhile, I see a Linden visited my store and possibly on that basis they concluded my land isn't in search so I'm the problem -- yet it IS in search.

Some of us have bought expensive classifieds today so as not to lose another day of business.

People who chat on the forums and don't do business inworld don't understand these things.

10 minutes ago, Lina Pussycat said:

And my point is they aren't "large in my mind" they are large because they are large and have a high volume of sales with a good product line  that is updated regularly enough to keep people coming back for a new item at least once or twice a month. Thinking a store isn't big just because they aren't memorable to you doesn't mean they are small. Shopping at big furniture or housing stores is diff than shopping at clothing stores and again almost every big furniture and housing store still uses search listings.  Trompe Loeil,  cheeky pea does, barnswurth anubis does etc. Almost all the top tier stores that have a  regular base of customers use the search listing and while many "doin't need it" anymore because they have a high enough customer return rate who use their subscriber things for updates or their groups for invites. Again I shop at the same stores you probably do and I have always seen them show up with land parcel search.

And I'm sure Blue does care and LL does care to a point. You need to stop with your fetid inner core ***** that you've been spewing for the last 12+ years now it doesn't exist. Nor does your little made up toxic 20 (we had jerseys made up back in the day just to mock you because of the way you acted you know that right?). Your whole ideology that LL only cares about top stores is severely flawed logic and it has been for a long long time now and you are still under this assumption that somehow SL is controlled by a few elites whom you have accused several people including myself in some fashion over the years. I don't have a linden's ear at all. 

I think you go off because back in the day you used to (if you were friendly and non hostile toward them) be able to get the help of a linden. I remember Linden's used to frequent my establishment back then on alts and even as themselves and would be helpful if asked and you could actually contact them in world. I was nothing special and someone just wandering around back then when I met Jack Linden and he'd help out because the linden's at the time were active in world regularly. 

It has little to do with LL only caring about big stores or the like and yes many stores do fine without being in search when they are big. The fact is they still rely on them for people on occasion finding them etc. Foot traffic and the like definitely slows down when search isn't up because again while people may know the store many rely on search to actually get to a location they know about. Having customers there doesn't necessarily mean that lack of search being there isn't affecting their traffic in some fashion or new people finding the place that don't look at fashion blogs. 

I do hate to break it to you, but many people do not care about Blueberry. SL is overwhelmingly middle-aged females who DO care, and I realize it seems important, but again, it's not WHETHER Blueberry is big, it's WHETHER Blueberry makes their sales on Search/Places and likely THEY DO NOT.

Read what I wrote about Casper users and so on. 

CheekyPea, Trome L'oeil, Barnesworth are big name stores but not THE BIGGEST. And none of them RELY ON search/places for sales. Ask them. They make sales at merchants events; the Marketplace; TPs from blogs or magagzines like LovetoDecorate; and so on.

I would hazard a guess that of those three you mentioned, all three make MOST of their sales at merchants' events, i.e. rounds like Fameshed, Collabor88 etc. Then MP sales. Search/places will be in 3rd or later place.

You just made my point for me: most of them have fan groups or subscribers' groups who TP to their store from a notice in the group. But even so, I would still say the largest volume likely comes from merchants' events. Which is why there are so many of them.

The FIC definitely existed and still existed, although the list has changed. Today, the owners of Arcade, let's say, are the new FIC and some of the old FIC languish without sales.

SL is controlled by elites. I guarantee you if I had not come on the forums and made this an issue, others would have only slowly realized it after days, as they have only one search/place ad for their own store. 

This is not about the availability of Lindens inworld, something I have never sought and never see hardly any more. I called Jack Linden back in the day too. So what? Those days are gone, and I personally don't live in them.

You aren't grasping that Linden DOES NOT CARE about the Mainland. DOES NOT. DOES NOT. You are in deep illusion if you think they do. Business of group land rentals on Mainland; stores on Mainland; clubs on Mainland; these are almost of zero interest to them. They are about TOP-SELLING CONTENT CREATORS and large island rentals. And in their world, that is logical.

Relying on a search/place ad "occasionally" isn't making your point at all. It's not 0/1 thinking here that understands this problem. 

It's about harsh economic realities in a state-run economy and society, like Russia or China. The Party elites have the ear of the citadel and they win -- the oligarchs, if you will. This is a law of nature.

People think I am paranoid or living in a cave or something but that's because they actually don't get out as much as I do and work inworld. A number of store managers have told me starkly that they believe this Search/Places bug was done deliberately to drive them over to Sansar. This attitude is WIDESPREAD. I have customers and colleagues who constantly tell me that this or that bug or development or event is to drive to Sansar. I don't believe that this is deliberate. I think it's just a bug. But this conspiracy belief happens because Linden DOES NOT CARE about the Mainland and does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to show they do; hence no premium accounts buyers. Adding some stupid toy from THEIR game on THEIR land to a premium account is NOT caring about the Mainland.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

What I've just learned is that a major second-tier store owner who tried to get the members of the Casper Vendors group to care about this bug found out they DID NOT CARE

They don't see it

They don't use search/places

They use Classifieds. Those still work. But not all of us have tens of thousands of dollars to spend on multiple CLASSIFIED ads as distinct from SEARCH PLACES ads.

This is why @Lina Pussycat you need to hear. The users of the virtually monopolist leading vendor system DO NOT CARE because THEY DO NOT USE SEARCH/PLACES

Or maybe the few that responded in the group don't care. Many people use caspervend that doesn't mean they are good stores and why they trying to get a support group for a specific company to care? I use caspertech stuff and vendors as do most other people that have products of some sorts (even land) in SL... Casper is to busy to be running out and taking care of issues that have been reported and the individual vendors aren't going to want to run around trying to solve it themselves. They expect LL to fix it. Again almost no high end vendors are using classifieds anymore. Maybe *****ty shops that have subpar products that they hope to peddle off or people reselling products that they bought full righted and changed some textures on.  Go look at the big stores that are actually big and have a lot of foot traffic and sales in any marketplace and you'll find the places that use classifieds aren't really doing as well as you seemingly think they are.

Many stores do use classifieds on top of searches as it is a smart move on their part, but they are reliant on a whole and many are not reliant on the classifieds at all. Xplicit I know for a fact runs a classified, but doesn't get a lot of her traffic through that classified and instead talks to people she knows regularly, gets out there and mingles, and uses the search tools provided (i'm good friends with her and regularly test products for her). You seem to think that you are going to get people to get up and get on LL about this or that when most people are just like "Meh It'll get itself sorted out" or aren't technically inclined enough on the reporting tools in SL to really pester LL about it. It's not like back in the day when we could just talk to a linden in world about something and literally SHOW them a problem. 

Lina, you are merely making my argument for me. You keep saying that the biggest stores don't rely on classifieds and search/places. Yeah, they don't. Which is why this bug is not of interest to them or any other similar problem (remember when Classifieds you paid for stop showing on your profile? )

Funny you should mention "not really doing as well as you think". I am amazed when some of the BIGGEST creators and sellers in SL, world-famous even in real life, say their business is not doing so well because of the LindEx dropping in value, for example.

The LindEx dropping in value is a policy, not a free functioning of a free market. Otherwise, you couldn't explain why it dropped a point or two again during Christmas shopping season when there should be zillions of people buying Lindens, even if there are also creators cashing out.

I don't know the level of your business experience in SL past or present or if you sell anything now or have a store. Believe me, when I contacted 10 store managers just now, nearly all of them INSTANTLY answered me and took action. They were darn worried. 

The problem with the Lindens isn't that they are inworld as much. The problem is that they have a default to drive away concerns by doing this:

"I can't reproduce it"

"I can't let you add comments to another person's JIRA"

These aren't accidents, due to spamming, due to good faith mistakes. They are POLICIES to drive away customers to get rid of the customer-service state they were in.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

3 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I do hate to break it to you, but many people do not care about Blueberry. SL is overwhelmingly middle-aged females who DO care, and I realize it seems important, but again, it's not WHETHER Blueberry is big, it's WHETHER Blueberry makes their sales on Search/Places and likely THEY DO NOT.

Read what I wrote about Casper users and so on. 

CheekyPea, Trome L'oeil, Barnesworth are big name stores but not THE BIGGEST. And none of them RELY ON search/places for sales. Ask them. They make sales at merchants events; the Marketplace; TPs from blogs or magagzines like LovetoDecorate; and so on.

I would hazard a guess that of those three you mentioned, all three make MOST of their sales at merchants' events, i.e. rounds like Fameshed, Collabor88 etc. Then MP sales. Search/places will be in 3rd or later place.

You just made my point for me: most of them have fan groups or subscribers' groups who TP to their store from a notice in the group. But even so, I would still say the largest volume likely comes from merchants' events. Which is why there are so many of them.

The FIC definitely existed and still existed, although the list has changed. Today, the owners of Arcade, let's say, are the new FIC and some of the old FIC languish without sales.

SL is controlled by elites. I guarantee you if I had not come on the forums and made this an issue, others would have only slowly realized it after days, as they have only one search/place ad for their own store. 

This is not about the availability of Lindens inworld, something I have never sought and never see hardly any more. I called Jack Linden back in the day too. So what? Those days are gone, and I personally don't live in them.

You aren't grasping that Linden DOES NOT CARE about the Mainland. DOES NOT. DOES NOT. You are in deep illusion if you think they do. Business of group land rentals on Mainland; stores on Mainland; clubs on Mainland; these are almost of zero interest to them. They are about CONTENT CREATERS and large island rentals. And in their world, that is logical.

Relying on a search/place ad "occasionally" isn't making your point at all. It's not 0/1 thinking here that understands this problem. 

It's about harsh economic realities in a state-run economy and society, like Russia or China. The Party elites have the ear of the citadel and they win -- the oligarchs, if you will. This is a law of nature.

New people looking that don't pay attention to the blogs etc still make up a good chunk of sales for any store. Many larger stores are pulling back from doing events too as it gets to be too tiring to do releases for events at all. Blueberry used to toss out releases for events, but has largely stopped outside of a once in awhile thing. The whole thing plays into sales and the like. You take all of it and put it together to be successful. The tools are there you use them and while search may not be as important to some stores (once they are established) it can be the diff between finding a new place or not and establishing a presence to begin with. Search matters more than you may think it does. It's not a matter of what you think prok and what you think has never been the actual reality of the situation in SL and never will be. There isn't some conspiracy, there isn't some grandiose people that LL keep their ear to etc. There is no fetid inner core, there is none of this nonsensical conspiracy you've been peddling for well over a decade now. 

It isn't controlled by the elites. You seem to forget that I have again been accused of being an elite or involved in some of your conspiracy bull *****. If it is so controlled by the elites where are all those people you've accused in the past at and why isn't SL steered in their direction? They are no longer here or relevant in any way shape or form because LL has always done what LL have wanted and it has nothing to do with being steered by some mysterious elite group of people. You can guarantee it all you want that SL is run by a few elites, but it is the ramblings of someone that has long since lost touch with reality on the subject and has lost touch for about 10+ years now. If people don't agree with you they are part of something or uneducated in your eyes. All those so called elites of yours in the past died off in SL because LL steered SL in a way that was different from what those elites were effectively good at and  said people didn't want to keep up when sculpted prims came out, then again with mesh, then again with fitted mesh, then again with bento. SL has always been steered by LL in a way to attempt to bring in more and more content creators based on advancing skill sets not some super elites that control *****. 

15 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Lina, you are merely making my argument for me. You keep saying that the biggest stores don't rely on classifieds and search/places. Yeah, they don't. Which is why this bug is not of interest to them or any other similar problem (remember when Classifieds you paid for stop showing on your profile? )

Funny you should mention "not really doing as well as you think". I am amazed when some of the BIGGEST creators and sellers in SL, world-famous even in real life, say their business is not doing so well because of the LindEx dropping in value, for example.

The LindEx dropping in value is a policy, not a free functioning of a free market. Otherwise, you couldn't explain why it dropped a point or two again during Christmas shopping season when there should be zillions of people buying Lindens, even if there are also creators cashing out.

I don't know the level of your business experience in SL past or present or if you sell anything now or have a store. Believe me, when I contacted 10 store managers just now, nearly all of them INSTANTLY answered me and took action. They were darn worried. 

The problem with the Lindens isn't that they are inworld as much. The problem is that they have a default to drive away concerns by doing this:

"I can't reproduce it"

"I can't let you add comments to another person's JIRA"

These aren't accidents, due to spamming, due to good faith mistakes. They are POLICIES to drive away customers to get rid of the customer-service state they were in.

You are aware that SL tends to have less people spending around the holidays than normal months yeah? Because typically speaking people tend to spend money on real life gifts and the like. SL also has the problem of you know not accepting gift cards so people can't readily use them. There are some big stores that are established now that don't rely AS MUCH (and pay attention to the AS MUCH) as other means because they are already established so they don't need to. There are also up and coming stores that have good products that don't have the bloggers, money for classifieds, or the like yet and don't have a name that people know on a large scale. While some stores may be big enough to get by on some basis they again are still losing traffic that ma not rely on the other sources as a means to find stores. 

You seem to think that because no one comes out and makes forums posts like you that nobody is doing anything about the issue at all or noticed it before you made a forum post. I noticed it as soon as I woke up and started to search for places. I even commented to Whirly about it diirectly in skype. I'd of made a Jira post myself about said issue and I'd of gotten others I know to do the same, but Whirly made one as I was talking to her about it and the like. Stores still rely on some traffic coming through search even when they do not need it as much. Much like the real world a store will still send out a weekly circular to your house even though you can pick it up there to let you know they exist and the like. Chinese places that are established in a town will still put flyers in the mail, people will still advertise at other places or in the paper or in valupak coupon things even though they "don't need to". It is how business works in reality. You use avenues you have to maximize your overall potential for people to come in and look around, eat at your establishment, or even to buy things with a special to get them in the door somehow even if you are established and have a solid customer base already you are always trying to reach new customers and that holds particularly true with SL where you want new customers frequently and many of those new customers are going to be relying on search as a means to find things when they first look around for places in SL to go and shop as they may not know the blogs yet etc. 

For *****s sake,  a Linden replied back on this forum thread an hour after the bug report was filed. A couple of hours later a Linden announced on this thread that a fix was ready to be deployed shortly. Bear in mind this all came to light before Lindens were even in the offices.
LL obviously jumped on the problem as soon as they were aware of it & got a fix ready in super fast time.

Stop complaining :|

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

• Moderators

The fix has been deployed, but reindexing everything is going to take a while. You should see some of the missing items already reappearing in search, but it might take some time. Specifically, I'm not yet seeing Wetwang, Ravenglass, OPQ Estates, or TFF Main Store in the index yet, though I had Governance8 Linden go check to confirm that all four places had the box checked.

FYI, a statement that I can't reproduce it doesn't necessarily mean there is no problem. It may mean we need more information to replicate the issue. This is the reason I requested some specific SLURLs, which enabled us to locate some of the affected parcels.

Edited by Jagix Linden
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2287 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.