I need a good viewer to stop the lag

Harloxzz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2336 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone I've been in Second Life for almost 2 years and I have enjoyed the experience however I always had problems with lag so I have never enjoyed second life at 100%

I've always had problems with lag so I want to find a viewer to help me improve these problems

I have already tried many viewers but none has helped me

This is my PC requirements  

Intel Celeron 2.60 ghz

4.00 GB

Windows 7 32 bits

I hope someone helps me and thanks

• Haha 1

The least taxing on your system are 1.23 based viewers (old blue buttons and such) and there are several in the 3rd Party viewer list. That being said your computer is not up to running SL well, it may not even make the minimum requirements these days. So if a 1.23 viewer doesn't help you really need to shop for a more powerful system. That's just the way it is. I have I computer similar to yours that is packed away and haven't used it to run SL in several years. So if you are even in SL and doing "OK" , then you are doing well. 

Your best course of action to upgrade your PC instead of downgrade your viewer. Your performance overall with a viewer change wont be very drastic and probably wont give you much of a better experience if your hardware just isnt up to the task.

If you have a more specific model name for your computer, or the full list of specs from a program like Speccy, i can suggest some options for upgrading or if it would even be worth upgrading at all.

That machine is choking and bottle necking and as old as it sounds, "upgrading" is not going to get you very far and another viewer is just going to choke too.  it's all to do with the low ram and cpu.

Ideally you want an i5 with 16gb ram and a 960 GTX. 

I was having bad issues on my asus machine before I built my new one.  once I was able to over come the constant issues sl makes. things have been smooth.   knowing I still only run with 30 draw distance and no shadows so I can maintain 65-90 fps.

On 31/12/2017 at 12:37 AM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Ideally you want an i5 with 16gb ram and a 960 GTX. 

Wowza, that's a lot of ram you certainly don't need!

Here's my current setup:

CPU: AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics    (3892.9 MHz)
Memory: 8144 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 15063)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2

As much as I'm looking to upgrade, I do find this to be totally suitable for general SL usage - you could even downgrade the card quite a bit, maybe look into the nvidia 950?

If anything, at least get a PC with a decent CPU as SL's foundation is OpenGL so you'll potentially get a nice performance boost there.

Edited by Zoxin
Syntax highlighting!

9 hours ago, Zoxin said:

Wowza, that's a lot of ram you certainly don't need!

Here's my current setup:

CPU: AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics    (3892.9 MHz)
Memory: 8144 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 15063)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2

As much as I'm looking to upgrade, I do find this to be totally suitable for general SL usage - you could even downgrade the card quite a bit, maybe look into the nvidia 950?

If anything, at least get a PC with a decent CPU as SL's foundation is OpenGL so you'll potentially get a nice performance boost there.

If you want to do more than SL you do need it.  I have 32gb currently and with all I'm doing and to keep from bottle necking.  yeah. 

2 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

If you want to do more than SL you do need it.  I have 32gb currently and with all I'm doing and to keep from bottle necking.  yeah. 

That's fine for you, but your statement only pertains to you in this case - 8 gig should be fine seeing as their current specs were bare minimum to begin with and don't seem to be planning on anything more than using the viewer.

11 hours ago, Zoxin said:

That's fine for you, but your statement only pertains to you in this case - 8 gig should be fine seeing as their current specs were bare minimum to begin with and don't seem to be planning on anything more than using the viewer.

well if they stick to running the 32bit viewer so it wont eat more then 1.5gb of ram. if they use the 64bit viewer, it will eat upwards of 4.7gb (currently what mine is using and it's not memory leaking, I'm just in a super busy area) so how much ram does that leave windows?  not much, it will be swapping to disk and bottle necking heavily because of it.  in this day and age, people should not be on machines that can not handle what they are trying to play or do. you want to do SL then build a system for SL, something where it will last years. dont half arse it. 

18 minutes ago, iamyourneighbour said:

Try checking your graphic card setting as well. I have found out my computer somehow had firestorm using integrated graphics instead of the GPU. My frame rate pretty much doubled on max setting after I forced firestorm to use the GPU 

How did you force Firestorm to use the GPU (what settings did you adjust)?

1 minute ago, Jerilynn Lemon said:

How did you force Firestorm to use the GPU (what settings did you adjust)?

I am on my mobile ATM so I can't recall the exact procedure. I opened up the nvidia settings, chose program specific and went to firestorm after someone reported a significantly higher frame rate than mine using the same GPU. Then I simply changed it from integrated graphics to force GPU use

1 minute ago, iamyourneighbour said:

I am on my mobile ATM so I can't recall the exact procedure. I opened up the nvidia settings, chose program specific and went to firestorm after someone reported a significantly higher frame rate than mine using the same GPU. Then I simply changed it from integrated graphics to force GPU use

No problem. Travel safe.

• Like 1

It's worth noting that most of these issues are caused by the excessively unoptimized content that makes up almost all of the original content created for SL, as well as a lot of the pre-made mesh content that was never intended for realtime 3D rendering environments (SL is not a Pixar movie, it needs game optimized content to run properly). Even ripped game content that is uploaded without proper LOD settings can kill performance when you take the horrendously bad advice of cranking up object detail.

People who build their own sims can get a bigger performance boost just from optimizing their creations and not straying out of them, than people who throw hundreds of dollars at hardware upgrades.

On 12/25/2017 at 10:35 PM, Harloxzz said:

Hello everyone I've been in Second Life for almost 2 years and I have enjoyed the experience however I always had problems with lag so I have never enjoyed second life at 100%

I've always had problems with lag so I want to find a viewer to help me improve these problems

I have already tried many viewers but none has helped me

This is my PC requirements  

Intel Celeron 2.60 ghz

4.00 GB

Windows 7 32 bits

I hope someone helps me and thanks

what you need is a 

ryzen 1400  32 gigs of ram and a gtx 1060 

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2018 at 12:33 AM, Quinn Lysette said:

what you need is a 

ryzen 1400  32 gigs of ram and a gtx 1060 

32gb of ram

Literally why lmao

Im on 8gb right now and SL runs fine, even on 64 bit firestorm i peak at maybe 3gb tops. People really overestimate the stuff you need for SL, im running pic related and its perfectly fine for SL in 1080p on general medium settings to get decent framerates, though dropping to 720p and its much better.

Note that everything in this computer except the SSD and Windows 8.1 is from 2007.

Untitled.png.9b51ccbd6fd8884304a01d0aa6c20973.png

A modern day equivalent in general performance is like an early dual core i3, and i mean like 2nd gen tops maybe, and a Nvidia GT 720. You can comfortably get away with a very mediocre system if that mediocre system can spread the load between the CPU and GPU well. The q6600 is an ok-ish processor that handles SL well from a CPU perspective, the FX 4600 is mediocre at best in 2018 but handles the graphics stuff fairly well (actually tested, compared to an 8800 GT from 2007, its consumer equivalent, it actually does perform slightly better due to workstation quadro drivers and how SL is laid out as more of a 3D workspace than anything).

In 2018 to smoothly run SL you probably only need a decently modern Quadcore with a good single thread score and a mid range GPU. Something like an i5 2500 and a GTX 750ti would be very mid/low tier nowadays and would play SL like a dream. For newer stuff, a Ryzen 3 1200 and an RX 550 or GTX 1050 would be plenty for SL.

In OP's case, if its a laptop, a 32 bit windows 7 era celeron is likely Meron-L or Penryn based system, Sandy Bridge at the latest, but by then you would see 64 bit OS's so i presume earlier windows 7 era. With integrated graphics from that time, SL will be barely playable. Its time for a new laptop basically.

If its a desktop, any of those eras would be a quick CPU upgrade and toss in an appropriate GPU for cheap and youre golden for SL. Because Windows 7 era LGA 775 celerons, ranging from the E1600 to the E3500, would've been later LGA 775 chipsets which means theres a lot of backwards compatibility and upgrades would be super cheap. My above Core2Quad Q6600 seemingly runs on just about any 775 chipset and they cost like 15 bucks tops. But again, that is IF this is a desktop.

Edited by cykarushb

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2336 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.