Weird hair effect with bento head

Myth Valeska

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2368 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I recently joined the mesh head club and got a Genisis Lab Bento head which I love! The only thing I don't love is that when I put some hair on it does something weird (see pic below) and I don't know if there is anything I can do to fix it other than not wearing the hair. Not all hair does this thankfully, my Wasabi Pills hair most notably since two of my favorite go to styles are from there. But I find some styles that I love and want that do, such as the Truth hair in the picture below........the only problem seems to be in the forehead area. Any suggestions?

WeirdHairEffect_001.png

Agreed that it is the shape of the head with some hairs. I have always had that problem -- with SOME hairs. So part of your head is too big for the way it was designed and since it is rigged hair you can't actually FIX that other than to change the shape of your head (sometimes fairly dramatically which you may not want to do. 

For ME with a non-Bento head, it is usually the "head stretch" that I need to change. Playing around with the sliders in the HEAD section of the shape appearance will be the key.  SOME mesh heads let you alpha out the top of the head (which is usually MY problem area) but that won't help with the style shown.  It isn't the way the hair was made (as in a flaw) but more how it was designed. Before rigged hair we could usually resize and reposition to fix the issue. No longer. 

Did the hair come with a resize script? If so you might have to make it slightly larger to fit your head - or make your head smaller to fit the hair (which you can do without the script).

4 hours ago, MaggiJin said:

I hate to butt in but this doesn't look like a clipping issue. it looks like an alpha issue, as if shes got an alpha blending hairbase on thats interfering with the hair. maybe its invisible rather then disabled?

I agree, notice that the freckles on her skin seem to stop at the same line.

• Like 1

If it is an alpha glitch, then a trick that will only work on modifiable hair that doesn't also contain an anti-rez script is to rez the hair and set the alpha masking on any hair strands that have this problem to about 10. You may need to play around with the numbers, but I've found that - for many hairstyles - 10 is the sweet spot that fixes the issue. You will lose the 'fine strands' texture effect on the affected strands, though. They will look solid, but not to the point of looking awful. A lot of masking options are all-or-nothing (eg: the 100% or 0% of 'mask or blend' that many mesh heads give you for applier hairbases) but if you can rez and edit the hair you can try different percentages and see if you can find a number that works.

Here's a quick couple of comparison shots I've just done with one hairstyle that caused a problem with an applier hairbase, to show the original hair (with the alpha issue) and the version with those two front strands edited to have alpha masking of 10:

5a3670f7cba37_alphamaskmode10.jpg.33654a22f36d2fb6d1a57559c2810684.jpg

Caveat: This may work better with some hair colours than others. Also, it depends on how fine the alpha texture is, and how much changing the masking will affect the overall look of the hair (eg: the style shown above is sleek enough that it could take it without any real difference in look, but very curly 'fine-stranded' hair might not look as good with this trick). However, it's worth a try. (Note: if it works with your hair, then it will also fix such things as cut-off applier brows and other makeup.)

Edited by Skell Dagger

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2368 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.