Physics randomly "jitter"

Danni Silvershade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2309 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So today I observed something weird that i don't think was there before.

When my character is standing still, her boobs randomly jitter every few seconds. Not full on bounce, but just a glitched out looking jitter.

My physic settings are pretty low, since I am going for realistic medium sized boobs and belly and butt physics are all the way turned down.

Now my main question is: Is some setting possibly causing this, or is it more likely that it's graphics or lag or whatever performance related and just shows up for me?

Don't think the slidersI use have anything to do with it, so I'd rather not put in the time to write them down here and will only do that if people say they might be the reason.

Body physics are a little weird at times.  For one thing what you see may not be what everyone else sees.  It is also calculated on what is happening from one moment to the next.  The further a point moves the more physics is applied to it.  What can happen is that everything looks smooth but if you lose a frame or two, the physics sees twice as much movement than it should.  Then whip-boom-swish, the boobs go flying.

If this happens rarely or your hardware usually has a little trouble keeping up, don't sweat it.  Most people wont see it anyway.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress

3 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Body physics are a little weird at times.  For one thing what you see may not be what everyone else sees.  It is also calculated on what is happening from one moment to the next.  The further a point moves the more physics is applied to it.  What can happen is that everything looks smooth but if you lose a frame or two, the physics sees twice as much movement than it should.  Then whip-boom-swish, the boobs go flying.

If this happens rarely or your hardware usually has a little trouble keeping up, don't sweat it.  Most people wont see it anyway.

Ok, that puts me a little at ease, but just want to point out again that I wasn't moving and it wasn't even in the range of a normal bounce.

It's just a jittery back and forth once. More like a shiver or tremble but glitchy (so not a smooth motion either). Hard to describe, but i also don't know how i would make a gif/movie out of it

Last night, every time I got on my pose stand, my head started bobbing up and down - it really difficult to adjust hair and necklaces with that happening.  I don't even have any physics specified at all.  It took a relog to fix things.  I can't say as I've ever had that issue before.

So, sometimes..... just SL weirdness that eventually goes away

Which viewer are you currently using? You can find the exact viewer build number in the top menu bar of the viewer, Help -> About Second Life/viewer name.
Paste the first line into a comment here.

LL have recently been trying to fix the problem with the way avatar physics bounces depending on the viewer FPS & some of those fixes have caused twitching as shown in your video.
There is a bug report filed here: BUG-139224 - [Martini] Boobs constantly twitch/vibrate when wearing avatar physics on Maint-Martini

This particular bug was fixed by backing out the change that caused it, but if you are still on an older viewer build or you are using a TPV that merged in that buggy fix, you'll still see the problem.
The new LL Maint Nalewka RC viewer (http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/5.0.10.330035)  includes some more tweaks to avatar physics too & it's possible the twitching bug is back on that viewer.  I didn't have time to test it yet.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
Typos again
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

When we had the old OLD world map on the old website, you could call up an area over mainland near the shores or where some of the new sims where located to the north and if you looked close enough, you could literally see the edges of those sims jittering .

Now I know it had nothing to do directly with the physics engine and the website portal but it was one of those strange phenomena we had back then.

Besides trialing it for less than a minute soon after I first noticed it I've never used 'physics'. There's just something rather tacky about all those jelly boobs and bouncing butts wobbling about. I prefer my firm buttocks, pert milkies and 6-pack abs on my sub-5'3" non-child-like frame. 

As I rarely, if ever, bump the attachment maximum of 38 I wonder if I could trade my 'physics allowance' for a few more group slots for more non-social VIP joins. That would be nice.

Oh damn, somehow i didnt get notifications for the thread, so I didn't check it out.

I'm using FirestormOS-Releasex64.

Can that be the issue? I chose that cause it was the continuation from the phoenix one I used years ago before i stopped logging into second life til now.

Also I probably just leave physics off. Since I tend to make the sliders pretty realistic and don't really run around nude, which means support for those near default sized boobies, they are very minimal for me anyway.

Edited by Danni Silvershade

4 hours ago, Danni Silvershade said:

I'm using FirestormOS-Releasex64.

Can that be the issue?

Firestorm should be fine - it doesn't suffer from that new boob twitch bug I mentioned above.

I'd be curious if you still had the same problem on the new Firestorm Beta though. It includes all the boob bounce fixes LL have been working on, not all of them in publicly available LL viewers yet.  The fixes actually work really well for me - the bounce no longer spazzes out at very low or very high FPS.

If you want to try the Firestorm Beta, you'll need to join the group "Phoenix-Firestorm Preview Group" (secondlife:///app/group/7ba4569c-9dd9-fed2-aaa7-36065d18a13c/about) & check the group notices to get the download links & info.
If you have any problems with that viewer, please report it in the group chat.

• Like 1

On 24.12.2017 at 2:12 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

Firestorm should be fine - it doesn't suffer from that new boob twitch bug I mentioned above.

I'd be curious if you still had the same problem on the new Firestorm Beta though. It includes all the boob bounce fixes LL have been working on, not all of them in publicly available LL viewers yet.  The fixes actually work really well for me - the bounce no longer spazzes out at very low or very high FPS.

So reporting back after finally testing it. Seems that the beta viewer fixed it.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2309 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.