Mesh, smooth shading

Mustang1943

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In the process if producing a tube with holes using Boolean, I would do back into object mode, and would see something disappointing. In flat shading it looks great. Though the smooth shading left some unwanted changes in geometry. For whatever reason, the process of inserting holes generates vertices and edges that render unexpected changes to the geometry of the final image. Such changes that if I removed them, it leaves gaping holes. I'm not above the notion that I'm simply missing something. The question is what. Even if the answer is "it's the nature of the beast."

Thank you for your time.

Rifle, flat shade.png

Rifle, smooth shade.png

I can't say that I have. That'll be something I should tinker with. In retrospect, and with in-game conversations, it's come to my attention that when it comes to in-game use, smooth shading would likely make it more detail intense than necessary. As far as real rifles go, it's not uncommon to see high end rifles with a more boxy look. If I proceed to make a match grade or display rifles where detail is more appreciated, this is where I would have to be more observant of the texture. For the purposes of this particular rifle, the flat shade is more practical. Since I will be getting more into the smoother textures as time progresses, I'm still interested to learn what I can.

In Object Mode, you can toggle between Flat and Smooth for the entire object. But in Edit Mode, you can select the faces you want flat (or smooth) and make them so.

For an item with a lot of small curves and large flat areas, it might be easiest to make it all Smooth in Object Mode and then switch to Edit Mode to change the ones you want Flat.

13 hours ago, Mustang1943 said:

Such changes that if I removed them, it leaves gaping holes. I'm not above the notion that I'm simply missing something.

I'm not sure I've followed your description, but it might be a case where you need to add new faces - select the edges for each new face and hit F. (I think it's F, my fingers are smarter than my memory with this sort of thing :) )

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mustang1943 said:

Not a bad idea. Would I have to put together a couple blender files, or can I do it all in the same file?

That is what the EDGE SPLIT modifier does that I mentioned at the beginning of this thread. One file. Very simple.  At least that would be ONE way. It isn't completely clear to me what you are going for :D. 

Edited by Chic Aeon

4 hours ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

In Object Mode, you can toggle between Flat and Smooth for the entire object. But in Edit Mode, you can select the faces you want flat (or smooth) and make them so.

Thank you so much for this.  I have been looking for it for some time.  It's in Mesh->Faces->Shade Smooth, and Shade Flat.  Mesh Faces is Ctrl-F in edit mode with one or more faces selected (Blender v 2.29).

Ahh, wicked!! I just added in the Edge Split modifier and it cleaned up the markings. It seems to be a half-way point between flat and smooth shading. The stock is all one polygon. Though I have also added new polygons for additional details, and likewise choosing between smooth and flat shading. The following image showing a final product with the use of both smooth and flat shading. in the various polygons.

Final Rifle.png

14 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

That is what the EDGE SPLIT modifier does that I mentioned at the beginning of this thread. One file. Very simple.  At least that would be ONE way. It isn't completely clear to me what you are going for :D. 

My understanding is that the EdgeSplit creates a second vertex at each vertex on the adjoining edges, so the edges are not joined, but co-incident.  The effect on the Land Impact of the mesh is that there are twice as a many verts - probably not an issue with most things, but something to be aware of.

I was sort of hoping that the Shade Smooth and Shade Flat options that Bitsy described would operate on the vertex normals to achieve the smoothing or flattening.  But I haven't checked that yet.

Still alive - still learning.....

11 hours ago, anna2358 said:

My understanding is that the EdgeSplit creates a second vertex at each vertex on the adjoining edges, so the edges are not joined, but co-incident.  The effect on the Land Impact of the mesh is that there are twice as a many verts - probably not an issue with most things, but something to be aware of.

It does but the uploader will do that for vertices shared by flat shading triangles that are at angles with each other anyway so it shouldn't matter.

But a modifier can only be applied to an object as a whole and that's generally not very useful.

11 hours ago, anna2358 said:

I was sort of hoping that the Shade Smooth and Shade Flat options that Bitsy described would operate on the vertex normals to achieve the smoothing or flattening.

Smooth Faces is the one you want, not smooth vertices. It works like a dream and you have total control over which face to apply it to. Combine it with manual face splits (in edit mode: Ctrl+V and then select Split). It does the same as the Ege split modifer but again with total control over which faces to split of with their own vertices.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, anna2358 said:

I was sort of hoping that the Shade Smooth and Shade Flat options that Bitsy described would operate on the vertex normals to achieve the smoothing or flattening.  But I haven't checked that yet.

Still alive - still learning.....

That is how it works. Best to use when you are "finished" and not going to play any more. Of course you can "remove doubles", make your changes and then edge split again.   

I just did a quick test on a complex and fairly large object (2.5 x 3.5 meters) and using the edge split modifier on the complete object (all vertices) raised land impact from 3.464 yo 4.040 -- this just using the default uploads as I was simply looking for confirmation.   For many things, as you say, it would not make much of a change -- especially on smallish items. I often use it on PARTS of an object (where needed) and not the whole thing :D.   

Sometimes (like on the head of a screw) there would be vertices that need to be smooth in one direction and flat in another, so for THAT it works perfectly -- and what it is mostly used for. But it is the middle of the night for me so don't take my words as fact :D.  Your own experiments will tell you what you need to know!

I am heading back to bed LOL. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.