Missing Inventory Folders and items

earthgirlkelli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

The last few times I have logged in I have found my inventory messed up. I sort my inventory into folders (skirts, tops, hair, clothes specifically or ebody or kemono, ect). Well Id log on and find folders moved around: for example, I found the folders for ebody clothes scattered around in different folders. I log in today and an entire folder and all of its sub folders are gone. I checked my trash and I used the search feature to see if it was yet another folder that moved on me but nope its just gone. It was a folder full of tops, so now I have no tops. Has anyone else ever had this issue? Do I need to put in a support ticket or do I just need to forget about it and start collecting new tops? 

11 answers to this question

Most likely, your inventory is NOT gone for good.  The inventory cache folder on your local hard drive may have become corrupted, though.  Try clearing that cache (the Firestorm viewer has a command for exactly this in Preferences, Network and cache), then log out.  Log back in to a quiet, empty low lag region like Pooley or Heckendorf and wait patiently for your inventory to fully load.

Other things to try may be found here: http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_missing_inventory

If nothing you try helps, it is possible the problem is on LL's end.  Tech Support can solve some inventory problems, but you will need a Premium account to get that level of tech support.  If you are not Premium, it may be worth a one month Premium membership to see if your missing tops can be found.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, earthgirlkelli said:

The last few times I have logged in I have found my inventory messed up. I sort my inventory into folders (skirts, tops, hair, clothes specifically or ebody or kemono, ect). Well Id log on and find folders moved around: for example, I found the folders for ebody clothes scattered around in different folders. I log in today and an entire folder and all of its sub folders are gone. I checked my trash and I used the search feature to see if it was yet another folder that moved on me but nope its just gone. It was a folder full of tops, so now I have no tops. Has anyone else ever had this issue? Do I need to put in a support ticket or do I just need to forget about it and start collecting new tops? 

There is a list of things you can check (Firestorm) here:  http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_missing_inventory  which I just pinned as I have an alt with some major problems and the inventory is THERE in the SL viewer and not in Firestorm (so checking to see if you inventory is actually still on the server via another viewer is a good first step. 

That being said most of the forum folks know that I have had continuing REAL inventory issues for-e-ver with them particularly bad this summer. I had exactly the same issue you are having. After many tries with support with them even logging in as me and testing things, nothing was fixed. I did  get back ONE item that I had the exact name of when I put in a second ticket for that.

So my personal advice would be to check in another viewer, then look though the things to do list (above and also info for the SL viewer in the wiki that Lindal mentioned). Personally, if that doesn't fix it, I doubt a support ticket will. They really did TRY to find all my missing stuff, but they couldn't get it back. As I said my problem this last time was EXACTLY what you describe. 

Sorry to report that. 

Redeliveries are good if you purchased things. Most of my stuff was blogger samples or items I had made (I could upload those again as needed).  

I wanted to add this screenshot from the Firestorm page on missing inventory because I just did this and it fixed my alts inventory. This is most likely not a solution for the OP but I didn't know how to do this (and had never had missing inventory in only one viewer before :D) so it may be something others don't know about. 

And I just found out (still sleepy I guess) that you can PASTE right into this pane and the uploader will up load AND put it in the forum post. So no real need to save screenshots and then upload (GOOD TO KNOW).  Onward. 

image.thumb.png.11c822395182eefab76d74599984225a.png

• Like 3

I wanted to thank you all so much cause I was naked for a long time (thank god on my private land) because my entire saved outfit section was gone. I knew the links had to be there ( not completely gone ) as I had my mesh body there and hair, basic items.. but damn. Thank you all for linking the right stuff and eventually clearing the firestorm inventory cache was the step that worked for me.

Any ideas on what’s causing this to happen, tho? It’s happened twice in very little time for me lately, specially after going into shopping events (a lag nightmare for me, forcing me to resort to only visiting those locations on odd hours) but yeah often enough if I do visit those shopping areas while it’s busy, when I return some inventory items in outfits are missing and in the main inventory section too. I think that’s the cause but.. is it tho? Could there be other factors ?? I love to shop :(

Again, thank you for helping me and others but I wish I knew the cause so I could prevent it. It’s incredibly .. stressful when you think you’ve lost so many times precious.. items, specially the naughty ones >///< 

Roguerie,

Your inventory cache is a copy of your inventory that's saved on your local machine.  Sometimes, it can get corrupted, which is what causes these problems.  Your real inventory, though, is stored on LL's servers.  Deleting your inventory cache and then letting it re-load solves the problem.  Fortunately, it's relatively rare.

I have had another, much more frequent issue, in which inventory folders seem to vanish, mid-session.  I have found that clicking the "gear" icon and choosing "re-set inventory filters" generally solves this one.

On 1/11/2019 at 2:50 PM, Roguerie said:

Any ideas on what’s causing this to happen, tho? It’s happened twice in very little time for me lately, specially after going into shopping events (a lag nightmare for me, forcing me to resort to only visiting those locations on odd hours) but yeah often enough if I do visit those shopping areas while it’s busy, when I return some inventory items in outfits are missing and in the main inventory section too. I think that’s the cause but.. is it tho? Could there be other factors ?? I love to shop :(

I have not seen a definitive answer to the why...

It seems the viewer side inventory list is getting corrupted. The inventory information now travels via HTTP, which is self correcting. So, there is a very small chance for errors from connection problems. With massive packet loss it is likely possible. So, check your packet loss numbers just before logging off.

The FSViewer does crash or is crashed when taking snapshots, logging off, or when you are crossing regions. Often the viewer fails silently when closed. We mostly don't notice those crashes when logging off. Occasionally we will get a crash notice on exit. It is more likely these crashes that create the file corruption or incomplete file problems.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DavionBrown said:

I just logged on into my account today and I had saw that my inventory option was missing not and I don’t know how to get it back I don’t know what’s going on but I will take any help I can get to get it back

What do you mean by inventory option?  

@DavionBrown, CTRL+i should open your inventory window.

If the button with the magnifying glass isn't on your screen, right click any of the other toolbar buttons and choose "toolbar buttons" to open a window showing all of them. Grayed-out ones are already on an edge of your screen. If the Inventory button isn't grayed out, just drag it from the available buttons window to the edge where you want it.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.