Dash Deal Advertising Emails

Ishtara Rothschild

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Two of my alts, which I recently created to make sure that nobody imitates my legacy name by supplementing upper case i's for lower case L's or vice versa, have received an email from secondlife@e-secondlife.com. The email advertises a dash deal and informs me that some resident has a special sale, "50% OFF Camryn Gown Dress".

This sure is great advertising for this merchant, but I wonder why only new residents were informed of this special offer? Why wasn't it sent to the email address of my main account? Another question is if this kind of advertising is available to all merchants, including adult content sellers?

Perhaps you once blocked LL as a spammer? All my alts received the email I had to do a lot of deleting :D What I want to know is what criteria they will be using to get in this thing. I know right now is just a test but I read somewhere that if it works out well they will do it once a day and certainly there will be a lot of merchants trying to get in this thing. 

The process of how to apply is detailed here:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Commerce/Dash-Deal-Test-Program-Opportunity-for-SL-Marketplace-Merchants/ba-p/768033

And more here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Dash_Deal_Test_Program

This is, of course, detailing the test program. If it did go live I'd hope there were an easier way to submit entries from our Merchant's page on the marketplace.

Having said that, I doubt I'd apply anyway. I'm glad that LL are looking at some intersting ideas and running such test programs, but it isn't for me. I've been involved in similar inworld programs before run by residents and, in all honesty, I've never found any of them to be of real value as a marketing or promotion tool. In my expereience the best marketing and promotion someone can do is to simply use the freely available communication channels open to us all (social media, blogs, inwolrd groups etc), to make quality products and to offer good customer service. I do very occassionaly get involved in a hunt or similar, but only when it's for a charity or other good cause.

To be honest, I'm kinda hoping this doesn't pan out for LL and they go back to the drawing board. As i say, i'm glad they are looking at opportunites like this, but I think they are missing a trick here. I think they are a little behind the times and should be trying to think up a new cool promotion idea that hasn't been done ad-infinitum already (these "reduced price for a limited time" type deals have been organised inworld for years and the concept has become someone washed out and boring in my opinion). 

The customers and the merchants need consistency. All we have gotten from LL in the last 3 years, is the opposite. Yeah, things change all the time, but that does not mean you have to drop consistency all together.

Besides the 50% crap, it bothers me that they think up something for 1 day a week and a wednesday at that. This will do nothing at all. It should be a daily thing, so the first thing some1 does when they jump on the marketplace, is look to see what the dash deal is today. And, for gosh sakes, it should be right there on the first page, in your face. Then I might consider using it for promotions. Plus, this percentage thing should be a flat rate, not a percentage. This would eliminate all of the lower priced items from being submitted, and less work for LL to comb thru.

Actually tho, LL should stay away from any promotions that single out 1 product. The benefits of this kind of marketing are tiny, at best, and has even less affect on the overall market. There are 12 months in a year, and they should pick a genre for each month and promote that, with a special category for the month with all the products for that genre. And...... the marketplace should suggest places, related to the genre, to use your new products.

Just some thoughts!

My accounts have LUCKILY not received any of these LL Dash Deal Advertising emails.  BUT... the bad part is that I rarely get any of LL's important Merchant notifications or surveys either.

And before Linden reads this or - heaven forbid - posts the response saying that I have spam filtered LL... I HAVE NOT.  I did receive an email from LL back in ealy January from Brooke about an SLM change.  But nothing since.

LL cant even spam properly - lol !! 

i did get the email about this the email account for my alt didn't i'm not to fussed about it i don't mind about the 50% off deal because as merchants we were able to apply for this what i did object to was several months back when the breeding bunnies got their own advertising mail out from LL in some secret deal 

Claireschen Hesten wrote:

i did get the email about this the email account for my alt didn't i'm not to fussed about it i don't mind about the 50% off deal because as merchants we were able to apply for this what i did object to was several months back when the breeding bunnies got their own advertising mail out from LL in some secret deal 

To a certain level, LL's internal friends that we know include a Breedable Bunny merchant - are gettng free biased advertising again.  The past couple weeks LL SLM is pumping and promoting the Breedables industry.

I have been in XSTREET SLM since 2008.  I have never seen LL ever promote merchant industries like the building, landscaping, housewares. 

Outside of promote SEASONAL events (which makes sense), LL seems to only provide biased promotion of breedables (specifically Bunnies) and the clothing industry.  I can even agree that the clothing industry is sooo huge and wide spread with a huge group of merchants.... but Bunny Breeding or even the Breedables?  I know the market is huge in sales volume but how many merchants are in that category?  Then compare it to how many Merchants creates textures, sculpty maps, landscaping, housewares.

So, even the current BREEDABLE top front page promotion is absolutely no surprise.  This is LL promoting their internal friends in that industry.  Not fair.... but LL is God so I guess glad handing is the world we live in.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.