My Textures go Crazy on my Mesh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2361 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Might someone be able to help me understand this mess? I have made several mesh items and this is the first one to do this.. I already tried to "Clip" in the image mapping but this is the 3rd time I have exported this thing and it keeps doing this. Did I upload it wrong? I have normal UV's.. they're all in place every single time I check in Blender before uploading.. Nothing should have gone wrong.. but every texture I put into this object comes out like this mess as shown.

Whatisthis_001.png

1 hour ago, arton Rotaru said:

I would triangulate the mesh before exporting it. As well as the usual Apply Rotation & Scale operations, and see if that does do anything to it.

You know I had NEVER had this issue before this last month or so right after another post your replied to. Mine wasn't near this bad, but while things looked perfect in Blender and were no different that what I normally make (nothing fancy at all) the textures were off somewhat. I remembered what you said and tried that and it sort of fixed it. I actually had to BAKE the triangulated model and use that on the UNtriangluated (original upload) one to get things to work.

I am wondering if there has been some sort of change in the uploader.   All very odd. 

12 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I am wondering if there has been some sort of change in the uploader.   All very odd. 

Yeah, it's all very odd indeed. I don't know if there were any changes to the importer recently. But I pretty much have to pre-triangulate every mesh exported from 3ds Max now, or I end up with broken UVs. Usually I triangulate everything anyway, because it's essential for baked tangent space normal maps. But whenever I do quick test uploads these days, and did not triangulate before exporting (even if the Triangulate option is checked in the Collada exporter), I end up with broken UVs in-world.

I don't know when this started to happen? It's doing it for quite some time for me actually.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

Yeah, it's all very odd indeed. I don't know if there were any changes to the importer recently. But I pretty much have to pre-triangulate every mesh exported from 3ds Max now, or I end up with broken UVs. Usually I triangulate everything anyway, because it's essential for baked tangent space normal maps. But whenever I do quick test uploads these days, and did not triangulate before exporting (even if the Triangulate option is checked in the Collada exporter), I end up with broken UVs in-world.

I don't know when this started to happen? It's doing it for quite some time for me actually.

Well I had NEVER had this issue until lately but I use Blender so that might have something to do with it. Folks that have been writing with issues have Blender and it appears to be a NEW issue for them. It isn't the 2.79 Blender problem (many there from reports) as I went back to using 2.78.   I will just remember that if ODD things happen with the maps to do the Triangulate Modifier. Odd though that the finished triangulate modifier didn't work on the triangulated model ^^ . That was very much a surprise. Hopefully they will fix whatever is going wrong. MY issues have been on the beta grid since I always test there first.

I dont get it because I uploaded a total of about 4 meshes that same day and this was the only one that came up acting silly on me. It looked just fine in blender.. but I have yet to try to triangulate and rotate & scale .. but none of the other things I made that same day came out this way.. I tried every setting in SL.. on the uploader and on the viewer.. and in blender.. clipping and such I mean. Nothing got it. I am actively figuring it out today if I can..

I hardly ever have this issue (like once) and it wasn't on anything difficult or experimental. I am thinking perhaps it is a modifier that the uploader isn't happy with.  And this DOES seem to be a new issue. Mine was much more subtle than yours. Hopefully if folks read this they will remember that TRIANGULATE MODIFIER "solve".    The only reason I even got my item finished was because this had just been noted in a long post. 

Maybe @arton Rotaru remembers it as he had the fix.  I am not good at tracking down old posts. Would be good to link it into this one though -- for others. 

Ok I think I got it. I fixed it but.. I forgot entirely how I did it. I did a lot of futsing around. 

What I think what happened was .. well I did try to rotation and Scale.. and triangulated it but that did NOT work. It stayed the same upon the 4th upload..

So i opened blender in a second window and opened the last saved file of a mesh I uploaded the same day and copied every single setting it had between this mesh and the one that did not have problems. The differences Included the bad mesh having too many UV maps in the Materials/Texture section so I just made sure that I had deleted every single last material and texture there was until there was nothing there at all except the main UV map..there was one titled UV Map .001 or something.. It was unneeded and I left UV Map alone.I made sure nothing remained in the Texture panel either. At first there was NOT EVEN a texture panel.. until I deleted the random extra UV Map and unnecessary materials.

That is all I can remember.. It came out fine for the 5th upload.. finally.

Edited by Lexii Lungu

So while it doesn't appear that the OP WAS the same issue that is showing up (unexpectedly) these days. I just had another example of what I can only call a confused bake. In the render window this is lovely, and inworld the UVs are off. Last time the triangulate (thanks arton) modifier fixed it. Rebaking at the moment and hoping it will again. I could of course fix the baked texture in my graphics program, but so not sure why this is a new issue.

There are NO modifiers used in this simple stone couch. Two materials, very low on verts.  A mystery.

PS. Triangulating DID fix it. I could use the previous untriangulated mesh OR the newly triangulated mesh with the new baked texture. So something is very wonky here. Note this is 2.78 which I have been using since it came out without these issues.  A mystery. 

badbake.thumb.JPG.29ca079c89fbd70c174cc2ec4c9ce127.JPG

On 11/18/2017 at 2:00 PM, Lexii Lungu said:

It looked just fine in blender..

Just adding a note to this thread for others finding it. 

For those that do not know you can TEST the actual baked texture on your mesh withing Blender (rather than just looking at the render). Sometimes this is a handy thing to do. For me, it is always much darker than the actual texture appears inworld. That might be a setting that I don't know about (hints welcome on that) but you can see if anything is really wrong before uploading on the beta grid. Saves time.

5a1322e2af8cf_textureoptionforviewing.jpg.88e9167dc4a237e6db3f94e20bc1bae7.jpg

I checked the Stretch Textures.. and that mostly fixed inworld.. but now there is another minor problem I am not sure if this is a thing or not.

I have triangles set the same on high to medium.. so it looks good as I zoom out.. my texture looks okay up close but as soon as I zoom out it goes back to being silly.

Everything is triangulated and such.. but zooming out seems to be a problem. Is this a thing I should expect.. or is this still being an indicator I did not fix my problem yet?

Below are snapshots of the zoom out threshold I found.. zoomed out vs zoomed in by one notch.. a difference!

error1_002.png

error1_001.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2361 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.