Squatters and Bad Neighbors

Chinami1000

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm looking to buy another small piece of the mainland.  But I noticed 30 prims were already being used on vacant land... so I look up to the sky...

The neighbor has 4 skyboxes that overhang onto this property, almost all the way across. 

If I were to buy this property, do I have to track this person down, hope they are still playing, and ask nicely, or can I just 'return' the item to them - even though only part of their skybox is on my land?

What's the protocol and what rights do I have?

6 hours ago, Chinami1000 said:

If I were to buy this property, do I have to track this person down, hope they are still playing, and ask nicely, or can I just 'return' the item to them - even though only part of their skybox is on my land?

You don't have to ask permission, once you own the parcel, you can return almost any object that encroaches onto it.

But that being said, are you sure you want that particular plot? It does not sound like a good one to me.

There is no shortage of empty mainland parcels and there is this one unbreakable, universal rule:

If you and your neighbor don't get along, neither of you will have a pleasant Second Life.

Edit: I'm not sure what you mean by looking up to the sky and see skyboxes. But if you can actually see those from the ground, that alone is more than enough reason to avoid the area like the plague.

Edited by ChinRey
Editing
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Chinami1000 said:

You could only do a 'return' if the object is actually located on the land - i.e. the root prim is on the land.  

Yet, since you say the skyboxes overhang almost all the way, my guess is the person has anchored the root prim on their land and kept just enough on their land - probably because the vacant land doesn't allow them to rez objects on it.  In this case, if you buy the land, the objects might get returned automatically when you set the land to only allow you or group to rez - it depends on how much is on your land.  You might have to contact the neighbor or file a support ticket.

However, as Chin says - do you really want a parcel that is next to a neighbor that does this?  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

3 minutes ago, Chinami1000 said:

Could it be accidental though?

Anything is possible, but if there are multiple skyboxes and a large amount of all of them are overhanging, it is either someone that doesn't pay enough attention to where they rez things or they don't care or they are clueless.  The "don't care" folks are the ones that could spell trouble down the road.  

If you are really interested in the parcel, before you buy it contact the owner of the skyboxes and tell them that you are considering buying the land and if you do so then their objects will need to be removed.  You can gauge what type of neighbor they will be by their response.

• Like 1

Another alternative would be to simply reduce your draw distance down to 32m (the lowest setting) and you won't see anything above you at all - unless, as someone else said, they really have encroached upon your land - then return 'objects owned others'  but if they're truly not encroaching upon your space, then that won't do a blessed thing and reducing your draw distance is the most effective solution.

Or de-render + blacklist all their junk.

I got such a shock today when I bumped up my graphics to 'high' and forgot it meant the draw distance would also be bumped up; suddenly there were neighbours all over the place like rats in a sewer.  And here I thought I had the sky all to myself haha!

Gotta love the 32m draw distance - solves most ugly neighbour property issues, imo.

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You could only do a 'return' if the object is actually located on the land - i.e. the root prim is on the land. 

That's not quite correct. Generally you can return any object that extends even the slightest fraction onto your land. There are some exception but they are rare, system vegetation can't be returned and I've heard that phantom items can't either.

2 hours ago, AnyaJurelle said:

Another alternative would be to simply reduce your draw distance down to 32m (the lowest setting) and you won't see anything above you at all

Yes but the moment you have to reduce draw distance or derender or put up privacy screens to protect yourself from the view, there's hardly any point in living on mainland anymore. It's different if you already own the parcel of course but if you're buying and it isn't a very special location you just have to have, find another place. And if you're a considerate SL'er find a place where you new neighbors don't have to protect themselves from your build. It's not as if there is a shortage of mainland parcels so there is always another one to buy.

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

That's not quite correct. Generally you can return any object that extends even the slightest fraction onto your land. There are some exception but they are rare, system vegetation can't be returned and I've heard that phantom items can't either.

Do you thus have to actually select the object to do the return then?  Overhanging objects don't show as an object on my land from the Land Objects tab.  

I just assumed if it didn't show on the object tab, I couldn't actually do a 'return'.

24 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Do you thus have to actually select the object to do the return then?

Yes. And you have to find them too. The only way to locate them is to look around.

I used to sweep the borders of my land all the way from 4000 m height to the ground every now and then looking for encroaching items. I don't bother with that anymore since I only have good neighbors now.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yet, since you say the skyboxes overhang almost all the way, my guess is the person has anchored the root prim on their land and kept just enough on their land - probably because the vacant land doesn't allow them to rez objects on it.  In this case, if you buy the land, the objects might get returned automatically when you set the land to only allow you or group to rez - it depends on how much is on your land.  You might have to contact the neighbor or file a support ticket.

However, as Chin says - do you really want a parcel that is next to a neighbor that does this?  

If they are encroaching even by a hair you can return them even if the root prim is inside their own parcel. I've returned things even when its just the bounding box of a sculpted prim that overhangs, and the visible parts are entirely outside my property line. 

Supposedly there are 30 prims on the property the OP wishes to purchase. In that case buy it, view parcel details, view prims, highlight, and return them. 

Another thing. Has the OP actually gone up and looked at the skyboxes. There are skyboxes near my place that  I would swear over hang my parcel when in fact they are on the other side of the road.

There are skyboxes all over mainland, and just because there isn't one today doesn't mean there won't be one tomorrow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Yes but the moment you have to reduce draw distance or derender or put up privacy screens to protect yourself from the view, there's hardly any point in living on mainland anymore. It's different if you already own the parcel of course but if you're buying and it isn't a very special location you just have to have, find another place. And if you're a considerate SL'er find a place where you new neighbors don't have to protect themselves from your build. It's not as if there is a shortage of mainland parcels so there is always another one to buy.

I have to disagree a little bit, Chin - only because I did reduce my draw distance to the minimum (I'm one of those who loathes having a messy pile of wannabe 'luxury' houses shoved in my face, wiping out an otherwise gorgeous view.

With the draw distance down to 32m, my neighbours and their idea of 'good taste' no longer exist - and - I get back amazing, unadulterated, uncluttered and unspoiled views.

12 minutes ago, AnyaJurelle said:

With the draw distance down to 32m, my neighbours and their idea of 'good taste' no longer exist - and - I get back amazing, unadulterated, uncluttered and unspoiled views.

Oh yes, I do understand why that is necessary if something bad suddenly turns up in your neghborhood. But my advice was to somebody looking to buy a new parcel and then the answer is: do not buy in a dubious looking neighborhood, there are always better alternatives.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, iamyourneighbour said:

Why not turn off object entry/rez for non groups?

Also keep autoreturn on. There is an old known bug LL that occasionally allows objects to be entered onto a parcel where they're not supposed to be. Personally I don't bother limiting build and object entry at all, I only rely on autoreturn. It always works and only takes a minute or five to kick in.

But all the land settings only apply to objects centered on a parcel. Objects extending onto the parcel from outside can nly be found and returned manually and sometiems they can't be returned at all.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2372 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.