LSL Editors

Chellynne Bailey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We have this discussion a couple of times a year, but it's been at least since Christmas since anyone asked, so it's about time again.

Innula convinced me a couple of years ago to try Sublime Text, and I use it pretty heavily now.  It has good diagnostic comments and some handy functions for global search and replace, and it helps keep track of where scopes begin and end.

Despite that, I still find myself using the in-world editor for doing quick and dirty scripting.  It's pretty basic and stupid, but it means not having to fire up an external editor. 

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Chellynne Bailey said:

I've used LSL Editor for ages, and it's been wonderful, but I think I've outgrown it. It's just not doing everything I need it to do.

What editor does everyone use? Frankly, I'm kinda wishing for one that'd let me save snippets for easy insertion. No idea if any of them do that, however. >.>

I use the build-in editor for small jobs, for larger or complex scripting tasks I use VisualStudio 2017 - an overkill yes, but just love VisualStudio and the advanced search/replace options and being able to work with several files open at the same time.

6 hours ago, Rachel1206 said:

I use the build-in editor for small jobs, for larger or complex scripting tasks I use VisualStudio 2017 - an overkill yes, but just love VisualStudio and the advanced search/replace options and being able to work with several files open at the same time.

Is there an LSL syntax checker for Visual Studio?  If there is, how do you get it to work?

4 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Is there an LSL syntax checker for Visual Studio?  If there is, how do you get it to work?

Not to my knowledge - the old user made does not work with newer VS.  It should be possible to import TextMate snippets, but I have not done it.

I just work on templates based on standard C++/C#, where you get the default syntax highlighting on variable definitions, values, strings. This I find adequate for my programing work with LSL. To me it is working with several open source files of a SL project which makes me prefer VS, where I find it easier to follow say  linked messages etc. and just get an overview of a more complex project with several source-files from an object and its children.

• Thanks 1

Sublime Text 2 all the way. So many useful plugins you can use for writing your script.

I use things like:
- LSL syntax highlighting (for proper color schemes)
- Autocomplete, even from other files (I use the LSL preprocessor features and my own utility snippets)
- Multiple cursors (text editing in multiple places at once, list formatting, etc)
- Column ruler (to prevent yourself from writing lines that are too long)
- Code minimap (to easily scroll through and find where of your code is)
- Code folding (hide long bits of code you don't need to see)
- Code alignment (makes your variables look all pretty and organized)
- Line shifting (up/down) and line sorting (for lists)
- Highlighting/removing trailing spaces
- More stuff I can't think off the top of my head..

None of those features are exclusive to Sublime, but it's also lightweight and fully portable.

Here's an example of what a "big script" looks like for me.
http://puu.sh/y7TdY/65ad97cfca.png (Relatively complex bolt-action rifle)
http://puu.sh/y7Uw1/dfbb4688d9.png (Relatively simple list-based text-to-symbol converter)

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

On 10/22/2017 at 2:32 AM, Innula Zenovka said:

https://code.visualstudio.com/

VS Code is a smaller cut down version on the editor side of things. ie: minus the gigabytes of SDK's. In other words, MS's sublime. I don't think anyone has made a LSL debugger for it yet. So it just has a couple of syntax highlighting extension projects so far, that may be slightly behind the latest keywords/constants. It has an integrated terminal window, so you can run your external lslint or whatever. So sublime-text 3 might still be some peoples preference to date.

The software itself has some decent in editor tooltip documentation features, that need a bit of attention and love. The highlight package I went with, doesn't really use it yet.

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2017 at 2:12 PM, Chellynne Bailey said:

I've used LSL Editor for ages, and it's been wonderful, but I think I've outgrown it. It's just not doing everything I need it to do.

What editor does everyone use? Frankly, I'm kinda wishing for one that'd let me save snippets for easy insertion. No idea if any of them do that, however. >.>

I alternate between Sublime-Text, Atom, and VS Code.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.