Do people make clothes for non-mesh bodies...?

Gylphie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2370 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all... I'm a bit disappointed right now because as much as I like fashion and want to shop, it seems like 9.5 out of 10 mesh items are fitted for maitreya, slink, belleza. But the look of those bodies is not for me and therefore I don't own one. (If I need to explain my reasoning for this, I will) Most of the up to date stores and events I'm visiting don't seem to go for standard sizing at all and I'm wondering if more experienced residents have any advice on this? Should I just deal with not entirely liking the bodies and buy one anyway because it is here to stay, is this a new thing and just overhyped right now, etc...?

8 minutes ago, Gylphie said:

Hi all... I'm a bit disappointed right now because as much as I like fashion and want to shop, it seems like 9.5 out of 10 mesh items are fitted for maitreya, slink, belleza. But the look of those bodies is not for me and therefore I don't own one. (If I need to explain my reasoning for this, I will) Most of the up to date stores and events I'm visiting don't seem to go for standard sizing at all and I'm wondering if more experienced residents have any advice on this? Should I just deal with not entirely liking the bodies and buy one anyway because it is here to stay, is this a new thing and just overhyped right now, etc...?

Creating sizes for multiple bodies plus 5 standard mesh sizes has to be a lot of work I am guessing.  I can understand why creators decided to cut down and go for creating for the most popular bodies.  I changed my body to maitreya because basically everything I seemed to like was exclusively for that body.  I dont like to shop and demo and sighs... there's much more exciting stuff to do so I just changed to free up my time.  I would never suggest you change to something you don't like but if you really do want to shop then at least demo some of the bodies.. your shape and skin can alter how it looks 

I have been in SL over 12 years, and seen many a fad come and go, but mesh is not one of those fads, if anything it has gown and expanded faster than I thought it would. So I would say no the mesh bodies are not going anywhere.  Having said that, of course mesh clothes are going to follow suit, the law of supply and demand.  I was a hold out for getting a mesh body to be sure,  as I continuously struggled to make mesh clothes in standard sizes fit my unique hand made shape.  Now after getting a mesh body, and finding all sorts of clothing for it that is made just for it, I would not look back on those frustrating days of old, especially since I can wear my own unique shape and clothing still fits..  I do design clothing in SL as well, and although I don't make original mesh myself yet (still learning)  I can see where mesh clothing makers would start to cut down on making the mesh that is no longer selling well, as making just one mesh dress in various sizes is one heck of a lot of work, way more than they can reasonably expect to get in return for sales.  So given that the majority now use mesh bodies,  I can see why making mesh in standard sizes is a chore that likely will not bring in much in returns. Presently I buy ready made blank mesh clothing templates (or shells) and texture them myself, if I can get a template shell that includes standard sizes I include those, but more often than not I don't get the standard sizes anymore.  So all I can suggest is keep looking for clothing made in standard sizes,  you might find more in bargain areas in stores where a lot of the older designs end up (they might be more likely to include standard sizes).   Or you can bite the bullet and try some mesh body demos, with your own shape then test some clothing demos for that body to see how things work.  You can do it all with demos first so you don't have to spend a linden until you are ready.  But I am afraid no amount of posting in here is going to encourage mesh makers to go backwards if it is not in their best interest to do so.  

• Like 1

On 10/17/2017 at 8:01 PM, Gylphie said:

Most of the up to date stores and events I'm visiting don't seem to go for standard sizing at all and I'm wondering if more experienced residents have any advice on this? Should I just deal with not entirely liking the bodies and buy one anyway because it is here to stay, is this a new thing and just overhyped right now, etc...?

From what I've seen, the current 'on trend' (or whatever they're calling it this week) hype is all about mesh bodies so if following that is important to you, you might have to succumb. But if you just want clothes you like and you can find a few creators whose work suits you, there's no need to change at all.

As for longevity, mesh bodies probably are here to stay in one form or another - but that form may well change at some point. Remember when the hyper-inflated mesh boobs with nipples that could impale you were all the rage? :) Brands certainly will; brands always come and go eventually, even the most lucrative.

Do what makes you happy.

You can still find system (non-mesh) clothes that will fit any body EXCEPT mesh bodies. Although some of them will make you look dated, there are some quite nice ones.

Also, mesh clothes were originally designed for the classic avatar, so if you see mesh or fitmesh clothes that don't mention any of the mesh bodies, then those clothes will work for you.

I have been having some fun looking through The Sea Hole's outlet store on marketplace (https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/76031) where (1) not only are the clothes quite nice, (2) there are almost 2000 items, (3) not even ONE of them is made for a mesh body, and (4) they are $1 each. So have a look.

Even though I have a mesh body I bought a couple of carts full -- because you can only have 11 items max in a cart. (Incidentally, to fit into standard M sizes, I have to wear an extra small shape under my mesh body.)

Also, there are clothes makers who make only mesh clothes, but NOT for mesh bodies. So don't avoid mesh or fitmesh clothes. If you are in a clothes shop, get the demo of an outfit you like, to see what that store typically does. If you find either fitmesh or the standard mesh sizes (XL, L, M, S, XS), then one of them ought to fit you.

Don't lose heart. There are plenty of nice clothes to wear, even if you don't get a mesh body. I'll try to make a list of stores.

Edited by dossiere

Anyone equating mesh bodies to a "fad" probably has zero clue on how 3D modelling works. It's the equivalent of saying "16GB RAM is a fad compared to 512MB RAM".

The TLDR version is it's here to completely replace the malformed, outdated (by at least 15 years) piece of crap known as the linden body, permanently.

Edited by Suki Hirano

28 minutes ago, Suki Hirano said:

Anyone equating mesh bodies to a "fad" probably has zero clue on how 3D modelling works. It's the equivalent of saying "16GB RAM is a fad compared to 512MB RAM".

The TLDR version is it's here to completely replace the malformed, outdated (by at least 15 years) piece of crap known as the linden body, permanently.

From a Furry perspective: I have many more prim (lion) bodies than I do Mesh bodies. The peer pressure from other furs to switch to Mesh is silly IMHO because I LIKE my prim (lion furry) bodies better.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2370 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.