Firefox going slow in despite of high resources

DorianDiaz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2393 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there.
Well here it is my problem, I use Firefox, I have an 8gb ram pc, i3 processor and 2gb nvidia 750ti, however SL gameplay goes slow sometimes, it rarely crashes though. My configuration is not so high, I have graphic options between mid and high only.
I hoped that having 8gb ram and 2gb vram card would be enough to have a smooth gameplay.
So could you suggest any type of configuration for graphic options or something to avoid lag?

Thanks!

That's not that bad a hardware configuration, really. (The amount of memory on the video card won't help SL as much as you might expect, but that's neither here nor there.) In any case, it should be pretty comfortable "between mid and high" graphics -- or better, depending what's in scene and you consider "smooth gameplay."

So can we quantify this lag? What viewer frames-per-second are you getting? Is that what feels slow to you?

Also can you describe your network setup? This can cause delays in content delivery, object updates, teleporting... really, many times that SL hits the network much harder than other applications and games. If by any chance you're using a wireless router more than a couple years old, that could be a pain point.

Meanwhile, you might try reducing the draw distance and see if it helps.

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

That's not that bad a hardware configuration, really. (The amount of memory on the video card won't help SL as much as you might expect, but that's neither here nor there.) In any case, it should be pretty comfortable "between mid and high" graphics -- or better, depending what's in scene and you consider "smooth gameplay."

So can we quantify this lag? What viewer frames-per-second are you getting? Is that what feels slow to you?

Also can you describe your network setup? This can cause delays in content delivery, object updates, teleporting... really, many times that SL hits the network much harder than other applications and games. If by any chance you're using a wireless router more than a couple years old, that could be a pain point.

Meanwhile, you might try reducing the draw distance and see if it helps.

I've noticed that it happens each time that I log in for the first time in a day.

Of course it's not the same, if you have 30+ people in a sim, or just 2.

And about fps I'm not sure, didn't pay attention to that detail. But I play mmorpgs and the lag level I talk about (making a comparison) may be around 15-20 fps.

And  I use to log in on my country's peak time I guess, my average connection gets a bit slow around 8-6 Mbps.

So does it exist anything like an 'ideal' configuration for my specs?

Thanks.

FWIW, I still use a roughly comparable machine (a GTX 660, so a generation older, even, and an i5). I don't think it's possible to come up with an "'ideal' configuration" of graphics settings for a particular piece of hardware because users have different expectations based on what they do in-world. For "gamers" who want SL to behave like a first-person shooter, they'll want to render the very least they can. Others of us who are fine with any double-digit frame rate crank up the features like lighting and shadows even though we have less-capable graphics cards. And there's no accounting for personal preference: personally, I'm fine with no anti-aliasing at all, even though it would slow rendering imperceptibly at most, but I can't live without ALM even though it adds much greater rendering lag.

One reason to dial-down the draw distance is to see if graphics settings are even the problem. If sub-100m draw depth isn't dramatically snappier than 256m there's no point fiddling with graphics settings at all. Even if draw distance matters, though, it's not necessarily due to those settings: there's also a lot less network load for shorter draw distances (in-world content is delivered based on an "interest list" of objects within draw distance). And network is the first thing I'd suspect for "first time in a day" lag: that sounds like downloading... and that makes me wonder: is it possible you've put cache on a RAM drive, so it's disappearing with each reboot? (That's not necessarily bad; it would just explain that "first time in a day" thing.)

I'll just reiterate that one's local network can be a big contributor, particularly if you're connecting through a wifi link. It's not that wifi can't work for SL (despite claims), but the band is increasingly much more crowded, and older routers just don't handle it well anymore.

Ive got an Athlon 5350, 750ti and 16gb of DDR3 and SL still runs for me at around 20-30fps in 1080p on general medium/high settings.

The big FPS killer is Advance lighting, transparent water, advance shaders, etc

I usually play with a draw distance of 64 unless im in more open spaces, and i keep ALM off unless in more basic places like Social Island where i can run with ALM on and hold 30fps.

But places like New Citizens Incorporated where you got a lot of people condensed into a small area, i keep ALM settings off because otherwise i drop down to 10fps.

9 hours ago, cykarushb said:

Ive got an Athlon 5350, 750ti and 16gb of DDR3 and SL still runs for me at around 20-30fps in 1080p on general medium/high settings.

The big FPS killer is Advance lighting, transparent water, advance shaders, etc

I usually play with a draw distance of 64 unless im in more open spaces, and i keep ALM off unless in more basic places like Social Island where i can run with ALM on and hold 30fps.

But places like New Citizens Incorporated where you got a lot of people condensed into a small area, i keep ALM settings off because otherwise i drop down to 10fps.

That was the answer I was waiting for :D now I understand what elements are the reason of lag.

With a PC like yours you could run GTA V without trouble, but SL lag will continue O.o

And yeah I got the point that connection speed is important too. it's old so I think it's time to renew it.

Thanks.

SL is not a game and isn't even remotely close to a (more or less) polished and optimized game engine, that's one major difference.
You may consider it as a big sandbox environment at best completely filled with user created, unoptimized content.

However, for most activities in SL, there is no need at all to have 60fps or more anyway.

But most of all: You still haven't really answered Qie's request - what exactly constitutes as "lag" in your opinion?
You just mention that "it happens" ... but what happens?

... bottom line: your setup isn't "high resources" either, though the 750ti should be fine for ALM ...

2 hours ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

SL is not a game and isn't even remotely close to a (more or less) polished and optimized game engine, that's one major difference.
You may consider it as a big sandbox environment at best completely filled with user created, unoptimized content.

However, for most activities in SL, there is no need at all to have 60fps or more anyway.

But most of all: You still haven't really answered Qie's request - what exactly constitutes as "lag" in your opinion?
You just mention that "it happens" ... but what happens?

... bottom line: your setup isn't "high resources" either, though the 750ti should be fine for ALM ...

Yes I think it was misunderstood perhaps, I wasn't talking about speed connection when I mentioned 'lag', I was talking about the gameplay, that sometimes fps go down even being at sims with no people.

Edited by DorianDiaz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2393 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.