I was wondering who can tell me?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2494 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It was one of those happenstance things, where there's talking and laughing, and then suddenly several things occur at the same time. And then there's a bunch of blinking and breathing afterward.

Edited by Ivanova Shostakovich
Because I used the wrong condiment.
  • Like 1

There is a quantum phenomenon where a single neutron can suddenly pop into existence and them immediately disappear again.  Those in the Hawking camp believe the entirety of all matter in the universe suddenly popped into existence all at the same time and at the same point.  This is everything.  There is nothing that exists outside of the universe or that would also be part of the universe.  

I don't buy it.  But that is one of the popular theories of today.  

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 3

This is as difficult for me to understand or accept as the concept of a physical infinity. I guess the idea is, at first, there was nothing.... a lot of it. Then suddenly there was something, but something filling only an infinitesimal part of that nothing? Beyond the edge of that suddenly exigent something, is still a lot of nothing?

I experience a certain, exquisite, low level fascination, confusion, and dread when I think of it, ponder it, try to imagine an endless Out There, cold and heartless, a journey in one direction that, at any velocity, would far surpass the lifetimes, added end to end, of everyone who has ever lived and will ever live. Abstractly, I can, albeit blithely, accept it. Invariably, my intellect steps in and says "No. I can't accept this. How can there be no end? Why would there not be a point where the stage ends, the curtains close, and the props all fall down, beyond which no one could possibly ever go, thus obviating the need to continue the illusion?"

It is thus that I am limited.

Edited by Ivanova Shostakovich
Because not so much an edit as a disclaimer. A pair of delicious Starburst IPAs gave their lives in influence of this post.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

There is a quantum phenomenon where a single neutron can suddenly pop into existence and them immediately disappear again.  Those in the Hawking camp believe the entirety of all matter in the universe suddenly popped into existence all at the same time and at the same point.  This is everything.  There is nothing that exists outside of the universe or that would also be part of the universe.  

I don't buy it.  But that is one of the popular theories of today.  

A lot of that to me seems like them trying to make a start point for time..When in reality they have no clue as to what caused the big bang..

Just hearing that when two galaxies collide, that two stars will never come close enough to collide because of the space between them, amazes me..

That there are stars out there that would take us one million earth years to go around them one time..I can't even picture how massive that is.

With things out there that size and in all that space,it's just hard to picture the universe as contained,when it's totally possible that there is so much space out there that our universe could have enough space to be doing it's own thing..

I don't know,I just kind of woke up and having my first cup of tea and just shooting from the hip.. hehehehe

I just love the universe and love thinking about way way out there as well as way way inward also..It's just awesome stuff where anything is possible.:)

Edited by Ceka Cianci
typo
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

This is as difficult for me to understand or accept as the concept of a physical infinity. I guess the idea is, at first, there was nothing.... a lot of it. Then suddenly there was something, but something filling only an infinitesimal part of that nothing? Beyond the edge of that suddenly exigent something, is still a lot of nothing?

I experience a certain, exquisite, low level fascination, confusion, and dread when I think of it, ponder it, try to imagine an endless Out There, cold and heartless, a journey in one direction that, at any velocity, would far surpass the lifetimes, added end to end, of everyone who has ever lived and will ever live. Abstractly, I can, albeit blithely, accept it. Invariably, my intellect steps in and says "No. I can't accept this. How can there be no end? Why would there not be a point where the stage ends, the curtains close, and the props all fall down, beyond which no one could possibly ever go, thus obviating the need to continue the illusion?"

It is thus that I am limited.

I was on my way into work today to drop in and see how things ere going..I'm on vacation this week,so just wanted to visit..

Anyways,as I was only inches away from making it to the door handle of my Jeep,someone from down the road stopped by to talk..

The conversation started off pretty normal, then somewhere in there I must have dropped some trigger word that made them think I was big into conspiracy theory or something..

For an hour I was trying to get out of there as they went into things like,why are all the stars orbiting around Polaris and how there is an ocean above us that some Hennessy booze commercial proves happened.. Just all kinds of things that I was trying to keep from absorbing into any of my brain cells..

I couldn't believe that the moment I thought I had an in to say ,oh look at the time..They would be off on another one..

Finally had to just come out and say it..I would love to stay and talk,but It's 10 till and have to get to work..still they kept going as I was pulling away as I kept driving and waving and then getting out of sight..

Soon as I got around the corner I was like,Where is my freaking Flyleaf playlist?! \o/

turned this on really loud to flush what just happened out..

I was worn out just listening to that guy..

This subject matter right now for me is so soothing to hear..hehehehe

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2494 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.