You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2506 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

38 minutes ago, lucagrabacr said:

So yeah, thinking about uploading the full anthem to play inworld because I like it. Does anyone know if it's copyrighted? :) 

With music there are two levels of copyright - one for the composition and one for the performance. Even if the tune itself is in the public domain any given recording you upload probably isn't. Also, just so you know - it's illegal to perform it in certain countries like Latvia, Lithuania and the Ukraine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Anthem_of_the_Soviet_Union

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, lucagrabacr said:

So yeah, thinking about uploading the full anthem to play inworld because I like it. Does anyone know if it's copyrighted? :) 

Wikipedia : According to Russian copyright law, state symbols and signs are not protected by copyright.

BUT... that is not automaticly for the performing/recording... that might have copyright!.. you have to contact the producer of your version

The SL forums are not the best place to ask these kind of things, it's a general copyright question, not related to SL in any way. You can find those answers pretty easy yourself when using google, like Theresa and i also did ...(and post it with a minute difference :)  )

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Russian_anthem_instrumental.oga

I found a public domain file. Maybe not the right anthem.

if it's for upload to sl it has to be a 44.1K stereo WAV file ... and the fun part... i can't be larger than 10 seconds .... so a song has to be cut in 9.99 secs soundpieces... and than by a script made to one playable song again.

wrong songs guys :P Славься, Отечество наше свободное and I agree with the OP, I've always enjoyed the anthem.

Because I love copyright questions (and reasonable copyright)

Notwithstanding that it's a state song, so has slightly different rules -- The composer - Alexander Alexandrov - died in 1946. There were two Lyracists, one who died in 1945 and the other who died in 2009. Purely using the Berne convention at the time of the CCCP's dissolution, that puts copyright expiry as 1996 on the music. But the words are a real grey area.

The wikipedia page has a copy of the 1944 sung by the red army and a 1955 instrumental, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Soviet_Anthem_Instrumental_1955.ogg The instrumental 100% being unencumbered as copyright would have expired in 2005, but the earlier vocal version being iffy due to one of the authors being alive until recently, and it's best avoided, to be safe from his estate.

Honestly though, that linked ogg file is pretty good quality. Convert and slice in Audacity!

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2506 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.