Why video/machinima works for your venue, blog, SL marketing

Caitlin Tobias

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In 2015 I wrote an article for SL Blogger Support, about why the use of machinima/video/blogs would be good for getting their stuff known. Including some tips on the use of music in your videos.
The reason I post it here is, I see many SL Machinima, using popular tunes. That is not a problem, you are not stealing music if you do, but be aware you are limiting your audience. Videos using copy-righted music will not play on mobile devices (smartphones, tablets) and are in some countries completely unavailable.

My article is still valid and if you think you can't make videos in SL, you are wrong :P.  Even though I am talking to bloggers in the blogpost, it is information for everyone who loves to document their SL! You don't need to be a blogger or Vlogger to create awesome machinima!

Do it!

https://slbloggersupport.com/2015/06/21/machinima-how-about-adding-some-life-to-your-blog/

Also, this:

Note that YouTube can and will freeze your account if you use music that they decide you should not. I had a friend that had that happen, so beware. BETTER to use Creative Commons music (there are various levels of use - some include commercial), buy your music from a royalty free sites or use the free music available at Youtube (Vimeo also still I think). 

It is also very good to source your music both in your video and in your video subscription. Even if you use creative commons music, YouTube can (and does sometimes) put ads on your site -- separate from the video ads -- that lead to places to buy the music and pretty much saying that you it wasn't yours to use but they are compromising (sigh). This is actually not YouTube deciding, it is the people who may or may not own the rights to the music (very messy and sometimes those folks complaining about your use of the music have no rights at all).

I have found that by sourcing your creative commons music (your royalty free music would be the same, I just don't use it) with a link to where folks can download for free stops this problem.  It used to drive me nuts!

Anyway, music is copyrighted so be careful machinima makers :D 

References for those that don't know me?   Here ya go: http://hitmewithyourbestshots.blogspot.com/

Plus three years running the Machinima Open Studio Project at the Linden Endowments for the Arts.

Edited by Chic Aeon

YouTube has a database https://www.youtube.com/music_policies to look up usage for a song. No guess work involved. Record companies or rights holders let youtube user know if they can use the music, and what if any restrictions they have on it.

9452f67a6ac2f3c3414dc419cf407a59.png

f69d2317f44ed68a0a68ed18422dc149.png

The only downside is yes, a rights holder CAN change their mind at anytime, and in that case, your video could subject to new restrictions. You will only get a strike if a rights holder actually files a claim against  you with youtube! But for all the videos i have posted, music videos and weddings videos, it has only happened once, and I read that particular record co is basically a 'dick' and files a copyright claim even though permission was given to use it

If you get a copyright violation, you get a copyright 'strike' and lose some account privileges for 6 months. 3 strikes and you're out. Note though this only applies if the rights holder actually files a claim with youtube. Otherwise, the video will still go live with the restrictions outlined (like the rammstein above, blocked in 240 countries) and won't be a "strike"

Edited by Jackson Redstar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Note that YouTube can and will freeze your account if you use music that they decide you should not. I had a friend that had that happen, so beware. BETTER to use Creative Commons music (there are various levels of use - some include commercial), buy your music from a royalty free sites or use the free music available at Youtube (Vimeo also still I think). 

As I indeed pointed out, including links, in my article.

I think it is important people understand it is perfectly fine to use copyrighted music and youtube has a system in place that lets a user do that. there is so much confusion and misinformation out there on that. Youtube uses Content Aware so even if it is 5 seconds of music, it will detect it and look up the rights holder and apply  their stated usage guidelines. You don't have to put inything in the desc like "I don't own this music" or "I make no claim to this music" or anything

I think if more people were aware they could use whatever favorite song they wanted as long as the usage guidelines allow it, maybe more people would make fun SL videos!

Not only does YouTube watch/listen for copyrighted material (and the algorithms will warn you if they find anything at upload), but for any ad supported content, they'll automatically split the ad revenue with the copyright holders. A lot of copyright holders discovered they could make more money that way than by trying to shut down potential copyright violations.

Creative Commons licenses cannot be revoked. This screenshot from Creative Commons Org site.  AND you are supporting people who actually WANT you to use their work as long as you abide by their CC license. 

ccirrevokable.thumb.JPG.5a82af6563267c94b6fb81d43e543850.JPG

Also, I have found that companies tend to flag creative commons work used under the correct license terms (as I stated above) but by being VERY clear where you downloaded the music and the CC license, the folks trying to put ads on your video take them off if your do get a copyright call against you. What bothers me the most is the companies who are not flagging videos because of actual copyright infringements but just so that they can make money -- and from YOUR video LOL.  

That yellow is because I was searching a LONG page looking for "revoke" :D. 

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Not only does YouTube watch/listen for copyrighted material (and the algorithms will warn you if they find anything at upload), but for any ad supported content, they'll automatically split the ad revenue with the copyright holders. A lot of copyright holders discovered they could make more money that way than by trying to shut down potential copyright violations.

YES, but unfortunately some unscrupulous companies have repeatedly (in the past anyway) flagged songs that were released under creative commons licenses. Then you had to go through all the hoops getting the adware off of your video. I always did get it taken off as the songs had been used correctly, but  I have had no issues since -- when using creative commons work -- I put the music credits and WHERE TO DOWNLOAD FOR FREE at the top of my videos. The people trying to make money don't want folks to know that they do not have to buy the music in question :D. 

30 minutes ago, Jackson Redstar said:

YouTube has a database https://www.youtube.com/music_policies to look up usage for a song. No guess work involved. Record companies or rights holders let youtube user know if they can use the music, and what if any restrictions they have on it.

That's good to know but I tried typing in lots of artists and songs and got nothing, so whatever is in the database isn't a very extensive list. It would be much better IMHO if it had both songs you could use and songs that will get flagged. For some folks, the upload time can be VERY long and then to find out they shouldn't have used the music LOL.   So I am kinda doubting that folks can really use their favorite songs all that often. Of course mine might not be theirs.  

Onward.  

9 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

YES, but unfortunately some unscrupulous companies have repeatedly (in the past anyway) flagged songs that were released under creative commons licenses. Then you had to go through all the hoops getting the adware off of your video. I always did get it taken off as the songs had been used correctly, but  I have had no issues since -- when using creative commons work -- I put the music credits and WHERE TO DOWNLOAD FOR FREE at the top of my videos. The people trying to make money don't want folks to know that they do not have to buy the music in question :D. 

It's increasing difficult to tell the crooks from the victims, isn't it?

;-).

like i said, you will only get a strike if the rights holder actually files a claim with you tube. And yes, sometimes certain songs may be hard to find, sometimes their are spelled different or whatever, but the content aware will detect it and if it is in their data base,, apply restrictions, if any. I have had that happen a couple times with wedding music could not find it in the DB, upload it, and BAM, banned world wide, so yeah, it is a pain, re-edit the video with new music and re-upload, but, n action is taken against my account 

ef6e0023ea740d0e802706ba0675a514.png

Edited by Jackson Redstar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.