Garden that stays

Brat Spicy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sorry if in wrong section, but I can't seem to find any bushes or green/flowerish things for in my garden which actually stay as soon I step 1 inch of my land. I get it go at some point, but the stuff I seen is not to my liking. It becomes a ball, disappears too fast from view or glows in the dark...

Any key words I can look for?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iBrat said:

Sorry if in wrong section, but I can't seem to find any bushes or green/flowerish things for in my garden which actually stay as soon I step 1 inch of my land. I get it go at some point, but the stuff I seen is not to my liking. It becomes a ball, disappears too fast from view or glows in the dark...

Any key words I can look for?

it could also be just your LOD settings...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iBrat said:

It was me and my view.

Well, that isn't actually true. The difference between the official viewer is that it comes with default LOD factor settings, for the various graphics presets, which are lower than what Firestorm has as the default values.

I won't go any deeper into that here, but if the objects would have properly made "custom LOD" (a term you may look out for when buying mesh objects) there wouldn't be an issue with the official viewer either.

If you nevertheless want to increase the LOD Factor beyond the maximum value of 2.0 of the official viewer (which I wouldn't recommend) you can certainly do that within the Debug Settings under RenderVolumeLODFactor. Increase it slightly until you reach a point where you are satisfied with your view.

Increasing that value comes at a cost of course, which impacts your viewers performance. I wouldn't recommend going any higher than 3.0. Personally I have that setting at 1.25 which is only slightly higher than the default value of the official viewer for most presets which is 1.125. It's only set to 2.0 on the Ultra setting by default. You can indeed change the LOD Factor between 0.0 and 2.0 in the GUI as well. It's the "Object" slider under the Mesh section of the graphics advanced settings.

My recommendation would be to keep that setting as low as possible, and lookout for properly made objects, which hold at least a basic resemblance of the shape at their lowest LOD.

But, do what ever you like.:SwingingFriends:

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, arton Rotaru said:

My recommendation would be to keep that setting as low as possible, and lookout for properly made objects, which hold at least a basic resemblance of the shape at their lowest LOD.

YES - what arton said :D.   Go shopping inworld with your LOD set at 2 and find some good plants. There are plenty of them. I suggest mesh ones over sculpts for so many reasons it would be silly to start listing!  Remember that even if YOU can see you plants now, many of your visitors will not be able to :o.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arton Rotaru said:

Increasing that value comes at a cost of course, which impacts your viewers performance. I wouldn't recommend going any higher than 3.0.

I wouldn't recommend going higher than 1.25 and preferably not higher than 1. I can accept Chic's suggestion of 2 but never higher than that.

The only function that LoD factor has, is to compensate for poor quality mesh and sculpts and it comes at a significant performance loss. Firestorm chose to go for a higher default value than the standard viewer and instead reduce the graphics laod by disabling other features. That may have made sense a few years ago when everybody were trying to figure out how to make mesh with no help or documentation from Linden Lab. Toay however, no reasonably competent contentcreator with any respect for themselves or their customers will sell mesh with faulty LoD. If you buy some of that garbage, demand a refund (you probably won't get it of course but you never know). and tell them to learn how to make mesh before they start charging money for it.

Edited by ChinRey
typo

45 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

@ChinRey

Well, I just tried to put it a little less bluntly. xD

I probably should have too but I'm jsut so sick and tired of all those fakers peddling their garbage on MP to unsuspecting buyers. I just don't bother being diplomatic about it anymore.

Here's a message to everybody who make mesh in Second Life:

Have fun, build whatever you want and always try to improve your skills, no matter how good or bad you are at it. But do not under any circumstance try to sell anything that forces whoever has to look at it to increase their viewer's LoD factor beyond a reasonable level. Because if it does, it isn't worth a single Linden Dollar and then charging is cheating.

9_9  Blunt is sometimes good and we obviously don't need to agree on everything.  In a perfect world we could make mesh with high LODs at low levels and low land impact and lovely textures and the server and our computers would still be happy -- and creators would not have to worry about deciding what is the MOST important in our personal worlds. 

Each designer makes choices. I just want more to understand what those choices ARE rather than just wandering around telling folks to set their LODS to 4 (or OMG one told me 20 one time when I was blogging his homes and some things didn't show up in my photos LOL).  

I build for 2 and test at lower (and most often things are good at lower LODs too because most of the time the highest level model IS low poly :D). But I am not going to stop making pretty things because someone that has to be at LOD one won't be able to see it until they get inside the house *wink*. That's MY choice. It doesn't need to be anyone else. 

6 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

9_9  Blunt is sometimes good

It can't be effective too. A few years ago I kind'a ... mentioned in passing ... to one of the best known good old plant makers in SL that while I truly admired his sculpt works, his meshes were way below par to put it mildly. He actually saw my poitn and agreed. The meshes he makes today is just as bad as they were back then.

A few months later I had a similar talk with another of the best known good old etc. She didn't agree with me - not at all. So I spelled it out, explaining the hows and whys with all the gory details. She wasn't happy about that, I wouldn't even be surprised if she cired once or twice during that session. Today, well I won't say she's the best mesh plant maker in Second Life because there are so many great ones few people have heard of butamong those who sell well and make their meshes themselves,  think she's in a class of her own.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.