No more free temporary texture uploads?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4803 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Josh Susanto wrote:

This is beginning to fulfill my prophecy from last year that free temporary uploads will eventually be thwarted by LL, regardless of how amicably they speak about preferred 3rd party viewers.

PS
The method by which free temp uploads are achieved could not be blocked by SL , without a huge server end rewrite and large chunks of bandwidth permanently used to check validity... so, not gonna happen.

• Like 1

check that you don't have VBO enabled in Prefs > Graphics > Hardware options, you might also want to make sure you don't have HTTPget textures on too if your using phoenix it will be i page 2 of the phoenix tab in prefs disabling these two has been known to cure crashing on paid and temp uploads

I don`t know about Imprudence but as you are on Phoenix there is also Local textures, accessed from your texture selector in edit, where you can test textures direct from your HD without uploading at all. This may be a good workaround for you until you resolve the issue.

I agree with disabling VBO thing, I crash on uploads if I enable that.

• Like 1

Just as mysteriously as it began, the problem has ended.

I had not enabled anything or otherewise changed any settings.

It just happened for about 16 hours and then stopped.

It just creeped me out because I had always expected something like it to happen more permanently, and I still do.

That's on my list of try-me's, thanks.

After repeatedly examining every step that leads to a succesful upload and every step that leads to an unsuccessful upload, I have found only one clear difference.

1) An image produced by Pixenate crashes 3rd party viewers when selected for loading.

2) The same image produced by Pixenate, but then put through Lunapic and reproduced as a Lunapic product DOES NOT crash 3rd party viewers.

I'm still having some other problems with SL, such as transfer failures and incredibly long delays in getting the contents tab to open on my magic box, but the only thing I see as clearly persistent is the Pixenate issue.

I can vouch for the safety and utility of Lunapic, but it doesn't like to do certain things with images larger than 1000x1000, so I recently started using Pixenate for cropping (again) after I realized it would actually work on the new version of Firefox.

Oddly, I didn't have this issue with images cropped with Pixenate while using Google Chrome, but I immediately stopped using Lunapic and Pixenate on Google Chrome when I realized that both sites somehow keep kicking image dimensions down to the next smallest odd number on each side when used with Google Chrome (try it if you don't believe me). I can only guess that this is some subtle way that Google has decided to prevent images from being endlessly copied without data loss.

Summary advice:

1) Use Firefox rather than Google Chrome for online image editing.

2) Always do the last edit with Lunapic.

I haven't been able to upload textures for 2 days now, temporary or otherwise. I don't crash, but get an error message staing their server is experience difficulties and to try again later. Last weekend was the same. Started on Friday and did not start working again until Monday.

Mercedes Avon wrote:

I haven't been able to upload textures for 2 days now, temporary or otherwise. I don't crash, but get an error message staing their server is experience difficulties and to try again later. Last weekend was the same. Started on Friday and did not start working again until Monday.

that's often caused by the region being slow... usually moving to a different region will allow you to upload... you see the same thing with script/notecard saves.

Void Singer wrote:

Mercedes Avon wrote:

that's often caused by the region being slow... usually moving to a different region will allow you to upload... you see the same thing with script/notecard saves.

Thank you for the advice. I will try a new region and see if that fixes my issue.

The problem occurred in multiple regions and multiple accounts on both Phoenix and Imprudence.

I haven't tested the problem textures again today yet.

If I post one of them somewhere, should the problem also post with it ?

I'm not technical enough to know how that works, but if that's how it works, how close could we then be to identifying the problem?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4803 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.