Deleting Forum posts

Imagin Illyar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I post regularly in the Land forum to list my lots for rent.  I like to keep my listing up to date.  I noticed that there is a very limited time window to be able to edit a post and no ability to delete one.  I did a bit of quick research and found that it is a simple matter to allow users to delete their own posts, just a matter of changing permissions.  I'd like to request that this permission be implemented or the Land forums are going to be useless.

• Like 4

I also believe that the ability to delete a post is important. Almost every other forum has this. It's too restrictive with no very good reason. You should at least be able to delete a post if you are still the last poster, that way nobody has responded to you and there's no confusion. But people change their minds after hitting post. It happens often, and I know I am not alone.

I understand the benefit of being able to delete posts that become outdated when the land has been sold, or rented, or whatever, or a poster changes an opinion about something s/he wrote. I also understand the benefit of not allowing posts to be deleted because it can screw threads up. There are benefits on both sides but, on balance, I'm on the side of being able to delete posts that aren't first posts in a thread, because that benefit significantly outweighs the benefit on the other side - imo, of course - which I may subsequently change and want to delete this post :D

• Like 1

I don't think IPBoard has an option for allowing people to delete posts only if no one has responded yet. That is unfortunate because I think it is the perfect balance. And I know LL has no intention of customizing the forum software beyond what it can already do out of the box.

36 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

I vote for at least 24 hrs of being able to edit and delete a post.

I'd agree with the longer time frame.  Sometimes I will find out later on the information I posted was wrong or I'll change my opinion.

When this has happened my habit has been to strike (not delete) my post and then state my change. 

• Like 1

Too bad there's no way to set up a poll in the new forums.  I've resorted to sending people to SLU to get my listings because it's not possible to keep them accurate on my post here.  I don't like that we have less functionality now than we did with the old system.  Usually an update makes things better, I don't see much better here.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.