How do I unbox an item I bought in SL?

Priiyankaa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

14 answers to this question

Find somewhere that you are allowed to rezz things, like a sandbox, you can type sandbox into the map & you will find several that you can TP to.

Drag the box from your inventory onto the ground, right-click and select open.

Click the button "copy contents to inventory" & it will create a folder in your inventory with your items in it.

As the others have said, but you don't need to find somewhere to rez things.  Wear the box (yes, it looks daft but it gives you access to it), right-click it and select 'open' then 'copy to inventory'.  Finally detach the box (unless you really like it) and find the contents in your inventory.

great suggestion, peter, and very useful when there is no rezzing space available, i have done this myself many times. :) i just wanted to add that if (some of) the contents of the box is not copiable then copy to inventory will not work. or, it will only copy the copiable items and leave the no copy still in the box.

It depends on the item. Some you just Rez in-world and they give you a folder with contents. Some you have to Rez and “touch” (click). Some you have to Rez, Right-Mouse click and select open (if no script in the box).

*Edit* Don’t wear it, Rez it on the ground someplace that you have Rez rights.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Thanks 1

As Love says, the makers of boxed products have, in my view, complicated our lives...our lives as helpers, anyway...by inventing new and "easier" ways to open boxes.

• Some boxes will deliver their contents to a folder in your inventory as soon as you rez them
  • Some will do that, but prefer that you wear them (they look like a shopping bag, and will animate your avatar with an appropriate pose)
  • Some will do this when rezzed and clicked
  • A few will give you a HUD which you then wear and click a button, "deliver my items"
  • And some just sit there, waiting for you to open them manually

No matter what clever scheme the maker has included, the old fashioned way will always work:  Rez the item, right click, select Open, highlight and drag the contents to a new folder in your inventory.

• Thanks 1

I'm sure I have come across boxes containing "anti-rez" scripts which force you to wear them. And I regularly get HUDs with transparent backs which are invisible if we happen to be facing the wrong direction when rezzing them. So my order of preference is:
(1) Follow the supplier's instructions
(2) Wear the item and wait for a script to give instructions; if there are none then unwear it
(3) Rez the item; follow any instructions given, otherwise open the item and copy the contents to inventory

Of course, following instructions does not include agreeing to any silly animations. :)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, angeoco said:

I'm sure I have come across boxes containing "anti-rez" scripts which force you to wear them. And I regularly get HUDs with transparent backs which are invisible if we happen to be facing the wrong direction when rezzing them. So my order of preference is:
(1) Follow the supplier's instructions
(2) Wear the item and wait for a script to give instructions; if there are none then unwear it
(3) Rez the item; follow any instructions given, otherwise open the item and copy the contents to inventory

Of course, following instructions does not include agreeing to any silly animations. :)

Yep, if no instructions and wearing, rezzing, touching don’t work, select  “open” and “copy to inventory only” - if you “copy and wear”, that could be a big mess!

• Like 1

There are several options for unpacking.
1. Option is the easiest to lay out on the sand (without griffers) make sure that there is safe. if you are a premium account subscriber, go for premium sand. lay out the object and unpack it.
2. Option you do not know where the sand is, you add the object to your avatar. click the right mouse button, edit the content tab, (create the folder in the inventory, drag the full content into it) is ready.
3. Option! you added to yourself or laid out the object Most objects themselves have unpacking. good luck.

On 3/16/2018 at 12:01 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Ugh think I bought something the other day that said “WEAR ME” in its name, I guess that was their workaround to rezzing.  Lesson: For every rule there is an exception, and for every assumption I am wrong.

NOTE:  There are lots of legitimate items that suggest wearing them to unpack.  You don't have to do it.  You can rez these items on the ground like any other box.

FURTHER NOTE:  If you rez or wear ANYTHING and it asks for permission to take $L from your account, DO NOT CLICK "ALLOW"!  If you do, the object will have the ability to take all the $L from your account.  (exception:  some items you use in business, like tip jars, gaming tables, rental boxes and vendors, need this permission.  If you are expecting this notice AND trust the creator, you may allow it.)

debit2.jpg.6f5331904abe1e7361ddf783d4e75b57.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.