How many do you use?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4780 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

At present, 6. But I don't have some open that I normally do. (I'd mention them but they are "Names That Must Not Be Spoken" in these forums.) I will sometimes get upwards of 20 or so .. especially when I'm doing a lot of search analysis or deep research into something (while blogging etc.).

I tend to look first at the "answers" tab to see what the latest issues are, then I click on "view all" in that category, then same for "forums". After that, I tend to take a look at whose online currently and see what they're posting on. Then I usually start responding, and 99% of the time, save the draft and don't post.

Here's how I do it. It isn't ideal yet but it gets me closer. First off, I have my preferences set to show threads in date order, which helps. Then:

1. Click on a main forum category, like "Your Avatar"
  2. Right-click and open in a new tab any topic of interest.
  3. Read through the tabs, closing each as I go.
  4. When I close the last one, use "Go Back" to get back to the main categories and start over with a new category.

Sometimes I get 30 or 40 tabs open at once, but they get closed pretty quickly as I work my way through the messages.

Keli Kyrie wrote:

Now that the forum has been broken up into all these sub-forums I find the best way to get around is by the use of tabs. Do you use tabs? If so how many?

Picture 4.png

I don't start a tab for each topic.  I use one tab to go though all the topics looking for threads with some signs of life, if I find any I will open each one I find in a new tab.  Sadly I don't find many.  There's not much to talk about 'round here.  It's a pity.

I use one...

and the "float this forum" to the top button, which lets me put the ones that i care about up top, and the rest I ignore.

then when a forum accumulates a few posts I know, and open it in a new window, and the individual posts in a new window... and close them as I finish.... (other than the float, this is how I've always handled forums that are too stupid to take you up one level when mark the whole thing read)

why new windows? because I find it's quicker to use alt+tab to cycle between different windows AND applications, and because I'm gunshy from having a single window/tab freeze in the past locking up all the others I was working on.... as a side benefit I get more viewable screen space

I've always used brwoser tabs for reading forums for ages. I just find it the easiest way to work. I tend to browse through the various sub forums looking for topics I'm interested in and opening them in a new tab. I'll go through all the forums first before even reading what I've opened. Then I'll work my way through the open tabs so, if it's a good day with lots of interesting topics I can have maybe 20 tabs open at once. That's pretty rare though! :smileyvery-happy:

Keli Kyrie asked: How many do you use?

It always changes, constantly, sometimes i may get up to a dozen or more.  Right now I have 2, but the first one i just closed because I got bored of it, so now I just have this one tab "Reply to Message".  Should I post a screenshot, if it makes things easier?

and I probably should have mentioned that I have one mouse button programed to alt+tab, another to alt+F4, and the whel click is programmed to shift (so I can open links in new windows, and shift+scroll moves you through the history of the current window)

it's a setup I came up with back before popup blockers were included, so that I could close them as fast as they opened while browsing.

I don't open each subforum in a tab. As a couple of others have already mentioned, I browse the forums in one tab and open individual threads that look interesting in their own tabs. Usually it's only a small handful, but since I've been away for a while and am just now trying to catch up, I have quite a few open. Maybe 20+. Doubt I'll respond in all of them, though.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4780 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.