Project Sansar's Scripting Language will be C#, what do you think about that?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Rolig Loon wrote:

(I've forgotten a couple of RL languages that I used to be fluent in too, but that's a different story.)

And I'm forgetting the only RL language I was ever fluent in!

Pig Latin?

Some of my friends, who watched TV, spoke Ubbi-Dubbi. This must be a remake of the original Zoom, was was on when I was little (70s)...

There's also Carny Talk, which I actually heard Carnies speaking at the Ozaukee County Fair. This video goes on way too long...

Double Dutch...

There are forms of Gibberish that have rules and can be used to actually communicate. I don't know those. But I can speak true nonsense Gibberish in English and German. It's actually harder to do in English because I know the language and have to avoid making sense (which you've all seen me do here). In German, I just try to remember the little I learned from my neighbor and mess it up naturally.

Gibberish...

And here's my favorite example of Gibberish. Italian celebrity Adriano Celentano doesn't speak a word of English, and proves it by singing a song in what sounds to him (and probably most Italians) like... English...

I developed a crush on Raffaella Carrà's hair after watching that.

arton Rotaru wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

I developed a crush on Raffaella Carrà's hair after watching that.

Someone should Mo-cap her dance. :matte-motes-little-laugh:

I agree, Arton!

Near the end of her routine, Raffaella does a little Peanuts dance move that I dearly love...

If anyone's aware of an SL dance like the girl in purple (my favorite color!) does, let me know!!!

;-).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Making C# the choice pretty much eliminates the main stream software developers who work in Java.  Take a clue from the real life job market.  There's hardly any listing for C# but boat loads of job listing for Java.  I mean, really, who did the research on this selection as the programming language?  It's like choosing the worst possible option by going with the programming language that has absolutely the smallest market share.

On 8/20/2017 at 0:23 AM, Halbert Bienenstich said:

Making C# the choice pretty much eliminates the main stream software developers who work in Java.  Take a clue from the real life job market.  There's hardly any listing for C# but boat loads of job listing for Java.  I mean, really, who did the research on this selection as the programming language?  It's like choosing the worst possible option by going with the programming language that has absolutely the smallest market share.

I suppose the C# language choice was a pretty natural consequence of basing scripting on Mono, as it is in SL. I mean, there are plenty of other language bindings available, but Mono's "native" language is C#, consistent with it's .NET heritage.

All of which is kind of deck chair aesthetics, IMHO. Whatever language is used, there needs to be enough capabilities exposed in the API -- for that matter, enough capabilities at all -- to make a script worth writing. That's all still pretty tenuous in Sansar.

10 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

All of which is kind of deck chair aesthetics, IMHO. Whatever language is used, there needs to be enough capabilities exposed in the API -- for that matter, enough capabilities at all -- to make a script worth writing. That's all still pretty tenuous in Sansar.

It certainly isn't going to be game creation worthy for some time, if ever, the way it is now.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of C#. I would have liked to have seen something like Python, Javascript, maybe even Fortran?

Mostly dislike C# because of Micro$oft and their unpredictable behavior. Since Microsoft has patents on the .NET framework and Mono implements it, I see it as a very risky piece of software. Although Microsoft claims to "not assert patents" on the developers of Mono as well as the users, I don't really trust them. Remember the Windows 10 "free upgrade" fiasco? They wanted to make windows 10 a subscription service, but the backlash would be too big, as well as potential lawsuits. If it were not for the backlash and class action lawsuit potential, it would have became a subscription service. The proof is in the pudding, or in this case, the Enterprise version of windows.

My point is, I avoid microsoft "free things!" stuff like the plague. They don't like the open source/linux community no matter how much they "claim" to do so. They were good at first but then they went in the direction Apple is going.

I would love to see Mono replaced with something less patenty, like the V8 Javascript Engine, or Go, or even Python. All are as fast as Mono with zero patent lawsuit potential, because they are developed by people who use open source and develop for open source.

tl;dr: open source fanboy who hates software patents and sees microsoft as a big angry giant who wants to crush everyone

Edited by Chaser Zaks

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is one time that Sales and Marketing at Linden Labs needs to step in and overrule this decision.  That's sad too, given that I'm a real life engineer.  Someone made the C# decision based on what was convienent for engineering to implement given that its probably the same language the game engine is probably designed in.  But from the business prespective, its absolutely the wrong decision.  Java should be considered mandatory while C# is a nice to have.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.