How secure is Second Life?

WakeUpPeople

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hioQC5hlVAo&spfreload=10

Should I be concerned?

Edit reason: answers show need for elaboration.

A person who has stolen accounts from people including a Linden Lab employee.

Bought $L on stolen accounts to launder $L and send them to victims who then are suspended/banned because stolen $L were sent to them with this exact intention in-mind. Should I be concerned about this type of griefing/abuse will effect myself, especially when official channels from those effected were met with words similar to 'we don't know how it happened'?

7 answers to this question

I don't know how you get all of that from a poorly-made YouTube video that doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.  It sounds like you are telling us half of some story that is really about "official channels from those effected", as if you are aware of someone who has received stolen L$.  It's hard to guess, but am I close?

In any case ... yes, there are occasional reports of people who get other people in trouble by sending them L$ that they have stolen from resident accounts.  I have never understood why they think this is funny. They may get the stolen L$ in many different ways, most of which involve using some sort of phishing exploit to get access to a resident's account.  That's not "hacking".  It's simple fraud, easy to do because there are always residents who share passwords unwisely or who click unwittingly on links that steal a password. 

Should you worry about what happens if you get stolen L$ like this?  Not much.  The best way to protect yourself is to submit an Abuse Report to Linden Lab as soon as you get the L$.  Say something like "I just received a gift of L$10,000 from a resident named XXXXX.  I have no idea why he is giving me this gift. May I keep it?"  If Linden Lab says "No" and they confiscate it, you aren't out any money, since it wasn't yours to begin with.  If they say "Yes", you are L$10,000 richer.  Either way, you have covered yourself against any accusation that you stole it, and you have possibly nailed a scumbag.

• Like 1

WakeUpPeople wrote:

Should I be concerned?

A person who has stolen accounts from people including a Linden Lab employee.

Bought $L on stolen accounts to launder $L and send them to victims who then are suspended/banned because stolen $L were sent to them with this exact intention in-mind. Should I be concerned about this type of griefing/abuse will effect myself, especially when official channels from those effected were met with words similar to 'we don't know how it happened'?

YAWN!

Rolig & Lindal have it all pretty much covered....

Note to self: Put WakeUpPeople on my Estate Ban List. Reason: Clearly he/she/it wasn't getting enough attention with their bogus YouTube video post in YouTube.

Carry on Everyone.

EDIT: I hate Jumping the Shark [mostly because it always backfires] however...

Well well well. Look what Video was deleted from YouTube:

MORAL: Never post a new YouTube Video with a new YT registration and then bring our attention to it with a new SL Answers Registration on the same day and expect us to fall for it. We really can do math. 1 + 1 = 3 1 2

Yes, there are phishing scams in Second Life.  If you fall for one, your account may be stolen.  Linden Lab is aware of the issue (See the LL blog entry just last week!), but the responsibility for protecting yourself against phishing is up to you.  Don't click on URLs that anyone gives you, whether in email, local chat, group chat, or IM.  Instead, use your web browser and your bookmarks to go to the real Second Life web site.

You are also correct that some griefers have gotten innocent people in trouble by sending them large amounts of stolen $L.  If you receive an unexpected, large gift, say $L10,000 or more, especially if you don't know the giver, don't spend it right away.  File a Support Case and include the information about the transaction.  Ask LL to verify that it is a legitimate gift.

Second Life is actually pretty secure, compared to a lot of the internet...but it's everyone's responsibility to know the potential hazards and how to avoid them.  I teach a class in Avatar Safety at Caledon Oxbridge University on Saturdays, 12 noon SL time.  The class is free to attend.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2962 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.