Access to Test Grid

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay, so I'm completely new to SL, been playing about 2 weeks now, but I'm very interested in creating things. I've made CC for Sims before so I know how to handle meshes and textures, but I need a way to test my objects without paying for them since it's likely I'll upload many different versions to tweak and perfect, and that would be extremely costly. I have heard of the Beta Grid/Test Grid/Aditi but it will not accept my login details and I am unable to access the Mesh Quiz for it (not the regular one, I've done that one).

Is it necessary for my account to be a certain age before I can access Aditi or am I doing something wrong? I have tried searching on the subject and read through several wiki pages but there is conflicting and outdated information. >_< Please help a newbie creator get started?

In order to access any grid other than the Main grid, you just need to indicate that you want to do that in Preferences >> Advanced.  Check the box that says "Show Grid Selection at Login".  That will produce a dropdown menu near the Login button.  Select Aditi and log in.  Head for Mesh Sandbox 1.

There's a fairly nice YouTube video that may help explain things too >>>

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both very much! I enabled Advanced grid options but didn't check the box to allow it on login, so maybe that was the problem. I'll try again. If it doesn't work then, I'll submit a support ticket. :D Thanks for being so helpful!

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, balla Ditko said:

Do i have to login to Beta grid to upload my mesh ?

Only if you want to save L$ while you are doing trial uploads.  If you are confident that you have finished uploading test models and are ready to upload the real thing (or if money is not an issue for you), then upload on the main grid.  Sooner or later, you'll have to upload there anyway.

1 hour ago, animats said:

With LL looking for ways to justify a super-premium membership tier, would creators be interested in a membership level that included uploads?

Not every creator has premium, not even every sim owner has,... "One size fits all" super premium would be a waste of time with a bad ROI.

1 hour ago, animats said:

With LL looking for ways to justify a super-premium membership tier, would creators be interested in a membership level that included uploads?

I suspect that a scheme like that would not by welcomed by LL's money counters.  If I were a big-time mesh creator, I would jump at a chance to upload a huge number of models at zero cost.  LL would lose all the revenue that I would be paying otherwise, and not getting much in return unless the money counters made the cost of a superPremium membership prohibitively high.  As Fionalein says, a bad ROI.

5 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Everybody rushes to hire a super premium member to do all their uploads for them.

That would make the uploader the "creator" for SL purposes.

Really, an upload on the beta grid costs Linden Labs the same as an upload on the main grid. Both are space in AWS.

4 hours ago, animats said:

That would make the uploader the "creator" for SL purposes.

Which is no different than using full perm template, you pay the SuperEntitlement clown to upload for you, then get your mesh back from them full perm (if they are honest, and don't simply rip you off) then you link it to a root prim cube of your own with your logo on.

Problem isn't who has their name on the mesh, it's if the SuperEntitlement clown honours the pay-them-to-upload-for-you deal, and doesn't sell your mesh as if it was theirs.

Overall, it's a bad idea...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.