How has NO ONE asked this question yet?! I want the rain (WEATHER) OFF in Secondlife. How?

Lightesword Xue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3059 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Seriously, how has no one on Planet Earth asked this?

I want the rain turned OFF in Secondlife. I hate it. I tried to look on Google for an answer.. for the what, past 3 hours, and this rain on the sim is still going strong? I want it off. I am finding how to make Secondlife make my coffee, but can't seem to learn how to turn off the rain. I go to a sim, I want it dry, I don't want rain. I don't want the weather to shift. I like it sunny, I like it dry. 

Can someone PLEASE for the LOVE OF EVERYTHING holy, show me and the rest of the planet, how you turn off the LINDEN LABS RAIN on Secondlife? I don't want it and I'm literally starting to foam at the mouth from going nuts!!!

#rain #linden labs #default rain #weather #how to turn off

14 answers to this question

Hi Lightesword,

There is no rain in Second Life. People can simulate it on their land through a variety of mechanisms, but it's not a built in feature of the SL environment simulator, as are water, clouds, haze, sun and moon. And because any rain you see is the result of a resident deployed object or objects, you can't turn it off. Just like you can't move their houses or re-arrange their furniture or landscaping.

So, if you don't like rain, teleport to a region that doesn't have it. Some rain generating systems may have controls. I created rain around a lighthouse I once rented that could be turned to snow, or turned off, by clicking on a bikini that I draped from a clothesline on the balcony. If such controls exist, you're unlikely to know where they are, or even to have access to them.

There are viewer controls for thinks like sun position, cloud density, haze and the like. Those are described here, though the page is old and the controls have changed some...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Environment_Editor

You may also find these helpful...

Stay dry!

• Like 4

There used to be "official" rain in Second Life but Linden Lab switched it off back in 2002 or 2003 even before SL went public beta so your question is a little bit late.

Rain created by various users is usually particle based and you can switch them off in your viewer with ctrl-alt-shift-=

• Like 1

What...you don't know how "weather" works in Second Life, and you a scripter!?  How could you have missed learning about PARTICLES?

Rain (and snow and fog and even lightning) are particle effects.  Particle effects are controlled by a script, which, as you know, must be placed in an object.  There is one generic particle script, with a ton of parameters that can be set to produce different effects.

To get a copy of the particle script, and see many examples of how to set it to do different things, visit The Particle Laboratory in world!

Even if you turn off particle visibility with CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+=. the sky might look gloomy.  You can fix that by going to World/Environment Editor and choosing a different sky setting.

After seeing "The Quiet", I got the idea to make a labyrinthian sculptie to carry a snow texture. I eventually did make a 256x256m wheat field using one prim. It was an alpha fighting nightmare, but it was still pretty neat to have a three prim world (ground, the field, and a dome to cover it all). I never did get around to trying to animate a snow texture. That would have made a four prim snowy world.

I'm sure you've stumbled into many ingenious methods for making cool stuff here.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3059 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.