Don't download v4.0.2 (311103), zooming into an avatar turns it into a jellybaby, no matter what.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2986 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This version sucks.  You can have avatar complexity set for no limit, and no matter what, if you zoom in on an avatar, they turn into a jellybaby.  You can't zoom into ANY avatar except your own.  You can't look at any details... it just sucks.  Really, there needs to be an update for it.  I was stupid enough to have clicked "willing to update to release candidates" in the viewer.  I'll be downgrading in a couple days if there's *still* not an upgrade to this garbage.  I can't believe this is considered a release candidate.  If this makes it to the main viewer, why would anyone use the official LL viewer anymore?

Going by Oz's comment on https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-10803 , LL appear to consider this expected behaviour unfortunately.

Currently you cannot fully disable seeing jelly avatars unless you totally disable imposters - which kills performance in busy places. That's a bug though & should be fixed before final release.

Ugh sorry, didn't notice that issue wasn't public.

Title of the issue is "Avatars turning into solid colours when zooming close" with the same complaint as yourself basically.

The issue was closed as Expected Behaviour with this comment:

Oz Linden added a comment - 30/Nov/15 6:04 PM

See also http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Avatar_Rendering_Complexity

The fact that zooming close causes this is because by getting very close you are loading a higher level of detail, increasing the cost of rendering the avatar.

That issue is set to security level "Triagers & Reporter".

When you file an issue in the BUG project, you'll see you can choose the security level to be None, Public or Triagers & Reporter.

None seems to be no different to Public. Triagers & Reporter means only the filer of the issue and those in specific JIRA groups can see it.

There are some Residents that can see issues set to Triagers & Reporter - for example those who have a CA on file with Linden Lab, third party viewer team members & those who have a history of helping to triage issues on the JIRA.

Awww .. phooey! I was gonna reply that it's because you are one of the few remaining members of a mystical civilization that exists in the netherworlds between reality and fantasy. That by dint of your species' past, you easily phase between the flat 3D realm most of us live in and the time-and-space bending physics and magic of Alternate Thinkspace.

But now you ruined it .. *pout*

steph Arnott wrote:

OK, odd that a freinfd i mine that works for LL says otherwise. Very odd that.

Any how, not important.

I probably shouldn't even bother to reply to this but anyway...  you can view the JIRA groups you are in by going to your JIRA profile here: https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/ViewProfile.jspa

Here are my JIRA groups: http://prnt.sc/aawo8s

"contrib-agreement" group is for those who have signed a CA.

"support-helpers" group is for those who regularly help triage on the JIRA.

"jira-users" is the standard jira group everyone is in.

"good-citizens" group I don't think is used now. support-helpers has replaced that.

Those Residents who are in either the "contrib-agreement" or "support-helpers" groups can see JIRA issues set to Triagers & Reporters. Those groups do not give access to internal LL projects like MAINT. Those are Linden access only.

It really isn't that important these days though. Most people leave JIRA issues set to Public security level which everyone can see. However a lot of older BUG JIRA issues were restricted to Triagers & Reporter without any means for the filer to change that so helpers need to see those to link, reference & mark as dupes etc.

Feel free to believe your "Linden" friend though :matte-motes-sunglasses-1:

Am I looking at the wrong thing here?

Fmeh Tagore wrote:

This version sucks.  You can have avatar complexity set for no limit, and no matter what, if you zoom in on an avatar, they turn into a jellybaby.  You can't zoom into ANY avatar except your own.  You can't look at any details...

Just exactly how close did you have to zoom before this happened for you?

Cause I'm all up in my alt's business and I still see her just fine.

And Max of 82942 complexity. With no problems on her if I go higher either.

Then again I keep my avatars as low in their complexity as I can. In this shot I am at 47417 and Bunny is at 31338.

- And this is with a mesh body, mesh eyes, mesh tails, mesh hair, and mesh ears on both of them. And flexi whiskers where what you are looking at is the inside of 12 hollow prims.

My alt is on my old iMac, and she can zoom into me just as well as I can into her.

About an hour ago I finally did see this bug.

The difference is that my avatar and Bunny are below the recommended values of my machine, so when I zoom in no problem.

I saw the issue when there was a jelly avatar near me, so I dialed the setting up to see her, and she rezzed - then when I zoomed in she vanished.

It looks like after a certain level of zooming, SL forces the use of your system recomended settings to prevent complications.
- that is better for people's graphic's cards. But it will mean a LOT of jellys because right now there are a LOT of people who are using abusively bad graphics complexity...

It is akin to 2010 and the scripted hair fiasco all over again. Unmonitored mesh and flexi have caused a LOT of issues...

This system is going to be a rude wake up call for a lot of people...

Smart folks have been reducing their avatar complexity for the past year or two now in preparation for this. But a lot of people out there get all "it is my world and my fantasy and I will burn it all down around myself rather than listen to some basic common sense because I don't like having to be responsible for myself"... and don't listen to all the advice we've been putting out for the past few years about avatar complexity.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2986 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.