What is going on with SL lately?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2985 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I know im not the only one as my partner and people in various groups have mentioned this....but did SL change something recently with loading objects?

In the past 2 weeks or so my SL and others has been so clanky its crazy. Objects are derezzing behind me and when I turn around it causes my computer to lock up because its like its reloading everything at once. Its been unbearable and its worrying me that others have had the same problems. It causes me to crash sometimes and in general the game isnt nearly as smooth as it used to be.

Is this something new? I have downloaded both the newest SecondLife viewer and Firestorm viewer and have the same exact problem on both. Thanks for any help.

The server code is constantly changing. Sometimes for the better. Sometimes not. I have no issues so it isn't a "universal" thing.

According to some blogs much of the server load is now on our computers, so if your computure is less than hefty that might be it. Mine is on steroids and I have a decent bandwidth connection so that might be why I am OK.

I dont know, maybe it didnt effect you personally, but in many of the groups I am in the people, my partner and myself have been having more problems than ever lately. Clearly something changed, and it would be nice if it wasnt always behind closed doors so I could try and find a fix for it. Ive been doing everything I can and no luck. I had no problem a month ago, and now its constant freezing on this game because its doing something different with loading objects. I know its not my PC because I run other games no problem. I know its not my bandwith because I dont think SL needs 75mbps. Hopefully someone else can help me.

Jackson Redstar wrote:

It is probably Linden Labs moving servers over to Project Sansar as they prepare to dump Second Life

LL is not dumping SL. Can't/won't. Too much of a profit loss and it's their flagship/greatest achievement so far. Sansar has probably about 50 servers dedicated to it, no more. It's not that populated yet as it is in private beta.

LL has even stated they will not be shutting off SL.

I figured out the problem, limited my frame rate to 30, seems like the game is running alot less buggier. Seems my graphics card was just trying to do too much.

Next time I wont even bother posting here lol I dont need you guys starting up a complete different conversation when I ask for help. Thanks for the first response though Chic.

Jackson Redstar wrote:

Maybe. But every company that lays of thousands, or goes bankrupt, says "everything is fine" up until the last moment. You really think people would continue investing any money or time in SL if they announced SL will be phased out over the next 2 years? 

Lays off thousands? Yes, you are an LL expert.

Jandid Harcourt wrote:

I figured out the problem, limited my frame rate to 30, seems like the game is running alot less buggier. Seems my graphics card was just trying to do too much.

Next time I wont even bother posting here lol I dont need you guys starting up a complete different conversation when I ask for help. Thanks for the first response though Chic.

I wonder how your frame rate could affect all those other people in groups, etc.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Jandid Harcourt wrote:

I wonder how your frame rate could affect all those other people in groups, etc.

I couldnt tell you, I have asked other people if they were having problems while I was and they said yes I have no reason to lie about that lol do you think I was just having problems and I wouldnt ask other people if they were having similar issues? No I made that all up, I didnt bother looking for help on second life to figure out a fix for second life, that wouldnt make any sense would it? No reason to be a dick.

• 1 month later...

I am now in my 12th year in Second Life, and I have never seen this problem so fierce: lost inventory, things not rezzing.

I often require 4-5 tries even to GET logged in and seeing myself as anything other than a ghost, with at least most of my outfit loaded.

I then try to work on my rental tickets, and I see stuff simply isn't there. Sometimes it's just completely gone. Other times, it isn't rezzing. So if I see a rental box or a flower bed is missing and seems really gone, I rez another one. I relog that day or even another day and find TWO copies of that thing rezzed over each other -- I didn't see the one that was "there".

And so on. Many things like this.

I think a number of things could be at issue:

1. Inventories really can't be loaded and functioning after X cut-off point. Is that point 10,000 or 50,000 I don't know. I wish the Lindens would just establish this number and call it a day. Then we could either store things inworld (risky in its own right) or on alts (not idea either).

2. The asset server is broken, doesn't work, should be swapped out like a plane engine at 30,000 feet, whatever the metaphors are, but there it is, it's not asseting.

3. The links between the asset server and people's inventories are fragile, broken, a problem, in a database that is done in MY SQUIRREL or whatever it is the geeks call it, or not and done in some other thing that other geeks think is terrible, or -- what-have-you. 

4. There are too many gatchas for sale. The system was never intended to handle this explosion. It's supposed to save the economy and help mesh adaptation but the reality is, it is killing the world.

5. Or maybe it's all those breedables.

Prokofy Neva wrote:

I am now in my 12th year in Second Life, and I have never seen this problem so fierce: lost inventory, things not rezzing.

I've been having more than the usual degree of trouble, too, very recently. At first I attributed it to local network problems (I swapped out a hardware-failed wifi repeater last week) but just in the past couple of days things involving inventory and rezzing have really gotten flaky. So now I'm wondering:

How many folks besides me still use the Linden viewer and get the updates when pushed? 

My hare-brained theory is that something server-side (CDN, asset service, etc.) is not responding gracefully to change in demand caused by the very recent Linden viewer update, for which the release notes include:

This viewer release is a complete replacement of the under the hood HTTP infrastructure. It provides improved performance and stability by replacing the self deleting responders with coroutine implementations. These coroutines also provide a finer grained concurrency allowing the Viewer greater control over the numbers and types of HTTP requests that can be simultaneously outstanding.

I'm not saying the viewer itself is faulty, but that just maybe it's stretching the backend in subtle ways affecting everybody, regardless of viewer. (I had been using this viewer's RC prior to release, so maybe some of my earlier woes might be attributed to the viewer itself; to account for new problems of TPV users, though, it would need to be the backend that's affected by the viewer change.)

Or I may be completely wrong.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2985 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.