Evidence of a 9th Planet

CheriColette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3020 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Astronomers think that they've discovered a ninth, previously unknown planet in OUR solar system. The planet,  "Planet Nine," is thought  to be a massive and lives beyond Pluto,  at the edge of our solar system.

"There have only been two true planets discovered since ancient times, and this would be a third," one researcher said. 

And this will be the second true planet discovered indirectly, via its effects on the orbits of other solar system objects. Pluto was also discovered indirectly, but the indirect discovery of other bodies like Ceres ultimately led to Pluto being banished to dwarf planet status along with other Kuiper belt objects.

It's pretty exciting to see all the planets we're discovering as our measurement techniques become more sensitive. We now know of more than 2000 exoplanets, and I just heard that some scientists think the average star probably has 10 planets. The last estimate I saw for planets in the Milky Way was around 100 billion, but at 10 per star it would be between two and four trillion.

And that's just our galaxy, not one far, far away. And there might be 500 billion of those. Think of all the sequels!

;-).

If the planet is as massive as they think, it may be the one that causes the "pull" seen on Uranus and Neptune rather than Pluto. We'll see as they investigate further.

Oh..and of course, we all know the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter is a planet wannabe that never got it's act together, right?

CheriColette wrote:

"There have only been two true planets discovered since ancient times, and this would be a third," one researcher said.

Wow! How many years do you think that astronomy researcher spent in advanced mathematical classes to be able to work that out?

***Call me when you can count up to four, eh?

I like to think of the asteroid belt as the second life of our solar system. Rather than uniting into a coherent singularity, thanks to the mutual opposition and the generally repellant nature of the components involved, they remain a collection of insignificant lumps fundamentally opposed to each other.

Radium Soup wrote:

I like to think of the asteroid belt as the second life of our solar system. Rather than uniting into a coherent singularity, thanks to the mutual opposition and the generally repellant nature of the components involved, they remain a collection of insignificant lumps fundamentally opposed to each other.

Now, that has got me thinking! When my internet killer app, the anti-social network is launched, I will call the website, the Asteroid Belt! Thank you Rad.

***Call me if you want to get an answering machine asking you not to leave a message

Dresden wrote:

DejaHo wrote:

It's my understanding that Dres's left testicle was discovered to be the ninth planet. 

But as you know everyone in SL exaggerates a little.

It's actually the nearby black hole of which you should be most mindful.

That's a really bad play on Uranus.   Planet envy?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3020 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.