Mesh/sculpty problem for sitting

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3000 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have found through the years that with the advent of sculpty/mesh homes, sometimes people have a problem sitting on my furniture. I know it's the bounding box of the mesh/sculptie home not allowing the piece to be selected. Even a newly created wooden cube inside such a home can't be sat on - "No room to sit....etc.". But what I don't understand is how some furniture, in exactly the same situation, CAN be sat on. Does anyone know how the creator can make it so that his/her furniture can be sat on in that evironment. Have I missed something along the way?

ETA: I've remembered that poseballs work ok in that situation. It's my 'no-balls' animation system that sometimes has the 'No room to sit...' problem.

The problem is often that the bounding box of something next to the furniture is making it hard to sit, or that a transparent object is blocking your click on the furniture.  I've seen both things lappen a lot.  It's truly frustrating.  If you own everything and have mod perms, you can usually move offending prims or change the physics shape type of an adjacent object to solve the problem. (Link a small prim to the object as root and set the rest of the linkset to physics type None.) If not, all you can do is move your furniture.

Thank you Rolig. Yes it's the invisible bounding box of another object, often the building itself, that's the problem. But the thing is that some items, such as poseballs and some furniture, can actually be sat on.

However, I've been doing some experimenting since I posted, using a surrounding Convex Hull prim to test with, and I think I've cracked it. Some of my 'no-balls' furniture doesn't have a sit target in the root prim, and I've found that adding one allows me to sit on it and, of course, to perform the animations. It looks like sit targets are the reason why some furniture allows sitting when inside an invisible bounding box and other furniture doesn't.

The real test now is with the customer who is having this problem. I don't think he's having it because of the Convex Hull setting. I'm sure it's due to a mesh or sculpty building.

That'll do it.  Mesh buildings that have oddly-designed physics can make it really hard to sit on, move, or even rez objects indoors. You can sometimes get around the problem by doing some extensive triage on the house itself -- using collision prims instead of relying on the structure's own physics shape -- but that's a lot of work and it's beyond the skill level of most homeowners.

Darnit! It only works up to a point. I need a second sit target to allow a second user and, unfortunately, the current problem object is a 1 prim rug :(

I'm wondering if I can incorporate a dynamic sit target that changes when it's being used. Or a sit target that's generated according the specific point where a user clicks. I've done that before and it may be the solution. It doesn't matter where the targets are because the 'current' system animation takes over the positioning when an avatar gets on. <sigh>

Phil Deakins wrote:

OH NO! Convex Hull keeps the set at 2 LI, presumably due to the scripts inside the rug.

Probably. Depends on the number of scripts, among other things. Check the "More Info" about its Land Impact... if it's due to Server weight (and there are just two prims), then you'd need to shrink the script count. I'm not sure anymore without testing whether you can squeeze two scripts within 1 Land Impact. If not, it's a tremendous pain using only one script for two sitters and swapping animation permission between them.

no it is not, on less than five prims it is worse than leaving it as prims. Al convex does is create a rough cling film shape around the prims. Total waste of time on less than five. Also as soon as you put a script in one prim it reverts bak to a normal prim and some times can increase the prim count to a staggering number.I had one that came to 17000 with 10 prims.

I don't know why you keep saying this. Especially when it's so easy to test for yourself.

And please don't come up with a tortured torus. We all know that it can be twisted into thousands of physics weight points.That still doesen't mean that you can't have 2 prims with a script at 1 land impact.

you need to read up on the Hovak physics. I have spent too long building in SL.One target script in a prim revertts that prim into what it was in the first place. The Chull is like fixing a whatch with a hammer and using it for a few prims is a waste of resouces, also why people want to use a 1 lc  rug in mesh is beyond me as it be 1 prim anyway. BTW it may say 1 prim count but it is not.

steph Arnott wrote:

BTW it may say 1 prim count but it is not.

I've just tested this, using llOwnerSay((string)llGetParcelPrimCount(llGetPos(), PARCEL_COUNT_TOTAL, FALSE)) and the About Land tab in the Official Viewer Second Life 4.0.1 (309460) Dec 22 2015 10:23:26 (Second Life Release).

Both of them agree that switching a two-prim object (two default cubes linked together) with a sit target set by script (and with the script still inside it) to convex hull reduces its land impact from two to one, as does the land impact counter in the editor.

When I use PARCEL_COUNT_OWNER, however, switching the object between prim and convex hull doesn't seem to affect the total land impact reported.   The same is true of llGetObjectPrimCount and llGetNumberOfPrims.

However, when I measure the object's impact using 

llGetObjectDetails(llGetKey(),[OBJECT_PRIM_EQUIVALENCE,OBJECT_SERVER_COST,OBJECT_STREAMING_COST,OBJECT_PHYSICS_COST]);

the results show the difference I would expect: 2, 1.250000, 0.120000, 2.000000 for the object when it's prim, and 1, 1.000000, 0.120000, 0.200000 when it's convex hull.

To my mind, there is no particular reason to believe that the totals as reported by About Land in the viewer and by llGetObjectDetails are incorrect.

• Like 1

the problem is the target point of the prim, in order for the system to determin the central spacial ref point the system has to revert back to a primitive where the script is, so the prim count becomes a system estimate, Try and sit on it then get a count, come back an hour later and test.

steph Arnott wrote:

you need to read up on the Hovak physics. I have spent too long building in SL.One target script in a prim revertts that prim into what it was in the first place. The Chull is like fixing a whatch with a hammer and using it for a few prims is a waste of resouces,
also why people want to use a 1 lc  rug in mesh is beyond me as it be 1 prim anyway
. BTW it may say 1 prim count but it is not.

I'm not going to get into the discussion about sit targets and LI and prims. I just want to point out that the rug isn't mesh. The problem is that the house is mesh (or sculpt), which makes it impossible to sit on an object that doesn't have a sit target.

Sit targets were the solution but, in this case, the object is only 1 prim (the rug), which only supports 1 sit target. A quick solution was to add a prim with a sit target, convex hull the object, and end up with 1LI, but that doesn't work, probably due to the scripts inside the rug.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3000 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.