how do i get a human avatar

Kikiboo2222

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

I'm not sure which cheesy cartoons you mean.  There are so many to choose from in SL.  :smileywink:  You have a selection of free avatars in the Library >>> Clothing folder at the bottom of your inventory.  Keep trying each of them until you find one that comes closest to what you're looking for.  Ultimately, of course, you'll probably want to go shopping for a skin that comes even closer to your ideal.  Before you do that, though, I suggest spending quite a long time refining your shape, using the Appearance >> Shape sliders in your viewer. Your avatar's shape makes an incredible difference to your overall appearance.  The same skin can look quite different on people who have different shapes, so it's best to be comfortable with your shape before you invest L$ in a skin.

• Like 3

Rolig gave some really good advice but I think she forgot the most important one.

I couldn't find you in-world but I assume you are new here and that you have one of those mesh newcomer avatars. They are cheesy and cartoonish indeed and you can't modify them, you have to replace them.

The fastest an easiest way to do that is Go to the "Me" menu (the one to the right in the menu line". Select "Choose an avatar" and then click on "Classic" in the window that appears. That will bring up some of the earlier beginner avatars. They're not the best avatars in Second Life but they do look human, they are infinitely better than the new ones they foist onto beginners these days - good enough you won't die of shame if somebody see you - and most important: they are modifiable. Oh, and unlike the ones in the library folder they're very easy to change into: just click on the one you want and there you go! :)

After that, look through the library folder as Rolig suggested and also visit the good freebie places, like Free Dove and FabFree and The German Newbie Center (yes, non-Germans are welcome there too). I recommend that you don't start buying avatar parts and clothing right away. The best things in Second Life are not free but you can find a lot of really good stuff that won't cost you anything and you need a bit of trial and error to get the feel of it and explore the endless possibilities. If you start buying right away, you'll probably end up spending a fortune on stuff you never ever use. (Actually you'll probably end up doing that anyway but not quite as much if you wait before starting to spend ;)

If you have problems figuring out how to modify your avatar, go to the "World" menu (third from right in the menu line). Select "Destinations" and  click on "Newcomer friendly" and then "New Citizens Incroporated" in the window that appears. That will take you straight to NCI at Kuula, the biggest of the help centers staffed by volunteers who are more than happy to give you any advice and help you need to get started here. NCI Kuula is also a great place to meet people and to learn how to dance in SL too btw.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3126 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.