No More Authorized Linden Dollar Resellers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3018 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Tari Landar wrote:

CheriColette wrote:

Will that be a problem?

It can be for people that have to use prepaid cards, because LL is extremely hit or miss with them and has been for years.

Why they dont accept Prepaid cards to purchase L$ is beyond me. Converting $L to USD i understand the issue, but not being able to buy L$ from LL? makes no sense. None of the TPE will take them either.

• 3 weeks later...

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Why they dont accept Prepaid cards to purchase L$ is beyond me. Converting $L to USD i understand the issue, but not being able to buy L$ from LL? makes no sense. None of the TPE will take them either.

Most prepaid cards require real-time checks that the money is actually available.   Credit cards, and most debit cards, don't, so LL can debit them with the assurance that if the funds aren't available in you account, it's a problem between you and the card-issuer.    The conversation between the merchant's system and the card issuer's system is to check the card is valid and that the transaction is within your transaction limit (i.e. less than a certain amount), not your credit limit.

Prepaid cards don't generally work that way.   The merchant's system has to check with the issuer's system, which establishes the funds are actually available, debits the account and then confirms the transaction.   LL's system clearly isn't set up to wait while all that happens.

I assume that LL have taken a commerical decision, based on the cost of adapting their system and the risk of fraud vs lost business.   Their position is not uncommon.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Most prepaid cards require real-time checks that the money is actually available.   Credit cards, and most debit cards, don't, so LL can debit them with the assurance that if the funds aren't available in you account, it's a problem between you and the card-issuer.    The conversation between the merchant's system and the card issuer's system is to check the card is valid and that the transaction is within your transaction limit (i.e. less than a certain amount), not your credit limit.

Prepaid cards don't generally work that way.   The merchant's system has to check with the issuer's system, which establishes the funds are actually available, debits the account and then confirms the transaction.   LL's system clearly isn't set up to wait while all that happens.

I assume that LL have taken a commerical decision, based on the cost of adapting their system and the risk of fraud vs lost business.   Their position is not uncommon.

I know how they work, my question was why don't they accept them. Amazon does, Target, Wal-mart, every single grocery store does. It takes microseconds to verify.

Personally i think it's laziness on LL part. they don't want people to be able to cash out to a prepaid card so rather than code it so you can only buy with one they bann them all together.

One difference between LL and the companies you name is that LL's customers are international.   Another is that, generally, Amazon will need an address to which to deliver goods, and there will normally be some hours' delay between their taking payment and their dispatching the goods.  The same is true of the others if they're selling online, and if we're talking about face-to-face sales then it's a completely different story.    

Furthermore, the other stores you mention are selling goods, not virtual tokens that can readily be exchanged for money, and are thus not at risk of the same frauds as are LL,

Whether it's laziness on the part of LL or a well-founded business decision that the extra work and risks involved aren't worth the extra businss isn't really something we can know, since we lack the figures that LL presumably had in front of them when they took the decision they did.

• 6 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3018 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.