Old newbie looking for some job tips!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3238 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello! I hope I'm posting this in the right place, and if I'm not, I'm sorry. 

Although I've been playing SL for a while, I've always wondered...how does one get a job on there? I've been doing lots of little things here and there to earn some lindens, but I heard some jobs can pay better, I'm looking to find one that's fairly easy, pays decent. I know sometimes most places are looking for females? I can confirm that I am one, I can't voice chat (family is always so loud) but I suppose my YouTube can confirm that lol

So, does anyone have any tips to give this old newbie? 

Edit: I do not have a RL job at the moment, as it's hard to even get a job where I live. I'm wanting to make Lindens in SL, you know, without paying real money. XD

Really depends on what you want to do and how much your trying to make. As for tips...make sure you have invested a little time in your avatar. Pick a time slot where you can work regularly, treat t like a real job that you go to daily. Focus your time working on your job. To many times I have talked to people working to find that they spent most of the time in IMs with friends or browsing marketplace.

My only other advice is to consider the pay and time investment. Most jobs in SL pay terribly small amounts of telly sorry on tips. If you only maker a few hundred lindens you are likely only making a dollar or two... Sometimes the best thing to do is set a budget of a couple real dollars a week to buy lindens and just spend your time having fun.

Most SL jobs that pay are club related. Dancers, Hosts, DJ's and even Managers. All of those are tip based. some get 100% of your tips. Most clubs take 20% of your tips for the privlage of working for them. In average club you may take home 200 to 300L if your good enough. If you dont have too much expences in sl it might be ok to have one of those jobs.

There isn't much call for unskilled labor except as pointed out clubs, where you work for tips.  Eveyone wants a job that is "fairly easy, pays decent" and they just don't exist.

The decent paying jobs require SL skills and/or a lot of time and effort  such as content creators, land barons. 

My advice is unless you really enjoy doing something for tips, is to get a part time RL job, or rearrange your RL budget priorities.

SpookyHollows wrote:

Hello! I hope I'm posting this in the right place, and if I'm not, I'm sorry. 

Although I've been playing SL for a while, I've always wondered...how does one get a job on there? I've been doing lots of little things here and there to earn some lindens, but I heard some jobs can pay better, I'm
looking to find one that's fairly easy, pays decent
. I know sometimes most places are looking for females? I can confirm that I am one, I can't voice chat (family is always so loud) but I suppose my YouTube can confirm that lol

So, does anyone have any tips to give this old newbie? 

What is 'decent'? 

• 1 month later...

I'm terribly late to responding on this topic D: yikes

I don't plan on buying Lindens, I'm fine with earning a few hundred Lindens, I basically want to make some small earnings from it. (As I've been having troubles with employment) and I live with my mom and 2 siblings. Basically all I need to pay for is my pets food, so a small job on SL and such would be able to cover that, as their food can last quite a while. 

As for my avatar...I don't think an alien zombie cat OC would earn tips LOL unless some people would find it attractive. X'D 

Time slots would depend, whenever my mom works, I have to babysit. I don't know her scheduals, so that would be a bit of an issue. 

SpookyHollows wrote:

I'm terribly late to responding on this topic D: yikes

Time slots would depend, whenever my mom works, I have to babysit. I don't know her scheduals, so that would be a bit of an issue. 

ehm... a employer should be able to depend on you, seems that the possibility you don't show up is quite high.

Next to the response on your question only comes after two months i would think twice to hire such employee

Yea, I know. I'm such a weak gamer woman anyways. But I LOOOOVE SL. So I do come on here. I've dealt with haters before, on YouTube, and many bullies at schools. Thank gosh I have my GED, I think I only liked 8th grade the most, now those teachers were nice. 

FYI, I've been dealing with sick animals (my cat had a severe UTI, and my dog is old and blind), some of my family moving, being sick myself. Sorry for the lonish comment, I talk a lot sometimes. 

If you're saying I'll get hate on the forums...I know, been screamed at in SL before for accidentally bumping into someones avi. Gamings actually one of the only things I can enjoy, so that's why I come on here, even if it's not that often. 

Designing IS fun. If you look at any  blog on real life design like http://www.designspotter.com/ you'll see that the designers are constantly redesigning things like chairs over and over with new designs every time. You could make new chair designs over and over (if chairs are your thing) and sell them in SL. Learn to put in sitting poses and your ready to go. Figure out what interests you and run with it.

Designing is only half the battle too. The other half is marketing. You have to take a good picture of your product, write a good ad copy that makes people want to buy your product, figure out what permissions to give, design a nice box to put the product in, build an in-world store, decide what sim to build it in, figure out how many of your product you need to sell to pay the store rent, write a readme file to include with your product, create an alt avatar to buy everything in your store, and more.

And you can still go out and try working at a job in SL at the same time.

Exactly! To me, it's like animating. I've been making short animations on YouTube since 2010. And I used to constantly redesign characters, at least until I had a permanent design for them. xD 
So far in Blender I made a mug, and a chair...however the chair has a small issue, whenever I try to sit on it, I just float in the air above it. xD I'm not a scripter, not sure how to set those up. But hopefully I can get that fixed soon. 

I've also heard about worm farming, is that any good? I heard people could make a decent amount from it, but I can't find very much about that online. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3238 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.