SL investors?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3317 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is there a such thing that can help get businesses started? Or is it just people trusting you will provide the percentage you promise to give?

I am trying to start a business, and lindens are an issue for me. I need ways to get the money, and I am running out of ideas.

It doesn't work like that at all.

There is no market for investment, because there is no real need for it. With the marketplace people don't even need land to sell products and usually those who think they can sell something, cover the initial investment they make (for example for texture upload) with the first or the first couple of sales they make.

Also, there would be no security for the people who lend you money, that they will ever get any of it back. You could run away with it and basically nothing will happen.

Karridale wrote:

Is there a such thing that can help get businesses started? Or is it just people trusting you will provide the percentage you promise to give?

I am trying to start a business, and lindens are an issue for me. I need ways to get the money, and I am running out of ideas.

Hi Karridale

You could try your luck in the Merchant-forum ... telling a bit more about your idea about starting a business, and that you are searching for partners with money to help you, might give a response there. You can never know, if you don't try :matte-motes-smile:

Good luck....

To attract an investor, you'd need to present a decent business plan which includes how much you need, how you'd spend it, what their ROI would be and in what timeframe.  Document the risks and challenges or they'll find them anyway.

The problem that you're most likely to encounter is that the barriers to starting a business in the first place are exceptionally low, the costs are tiny (my business started from L$1000 as that's all I had at the time and I wasn't in RL employment at the time either so dumping money into SL wasn't an option.)

Similarly, if you come out with something fantastic, the barriers to someone else doing something similar are equally low, thus your opportunity to capitalise on uniqueness has to be seized rapidly in order to turn that ROI into something worth having.

Say you wanted L$20,000 or $80 US, you'd have to be returning some serious profit to turn that into something that would cause an "investor" to even raise an eyebrow.

Look at it another way, (old stats but...) most businesses, around 80% of them, take out less than $100 US a month.  What are you prepared to give up of that to interest an investor?  50%?  Is an "investor" going to get excited about $50 a month?

I dunno, maybe people like to call themselves an investor when playing with the typically tiny amounts that are usually the case?

Thank you, everyone, for the insight. I will take your opinions and suggestions to heart. I do have abusiness plan, but I feel like if I just share it with anyone they could take it as their own. I have come to a crossroads with this idea...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3317 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.