The unit of trade in Second Life is called the Linden dollar or L$. You can purchase Linden dollars both inworld and online on the LindeX.
|Important: You must have payment method on file in order to purchase Linden dollars. Register a payment method.|
To buy Linden dollars in the Second Life Viewer, click the BUY L$ button next to your current Linden dollar balance. In the BUY L$ window, simply enter the number of Linden dollars you want to buy and click Buy Now. Buying Linden dollars inworld yields the same value as a market buy on the Second Life website.
The LindeX is the official virtual exchange of Second Life run by Linden Lab where you can:
- Buy Linden dollars for the current market rate.
- Make limit buy offers at a requested exchange rate (or better).
- Sell Linden dollars.
For a list of accepted payment methods and currencies, see Billing.
All LindeX transactions are subject to transaction fees.
Market buys and sells are the quickest and easiest ways to purchase or sell Linden dollars on the Second Life website. LindeX automatically matches your order with the best exchange rate. The quoted exchange rate includes transaction fees.
To set up a market buy:
- Go to https://secondlife.com/my/lindex/buy.php.
- Enter either the quantity of Linden Dollars (L$) you wish to buy or the quantity of US Dollars (US$) you wish to spend.
- Click Place Order.
- Enter your Second Life password when prompted.
To set up a market sell:
- Go to https://secondlife.com/my/lindex/sell.php.
- Enter the Quantity of L$ you wish to sell.
- Click the Sell button.
|Note: Unlike market buys, market sells do not complete instantly.|
Limit buys and sells allow you specify the amount of Linden dollars and the exchange rate you are willing to accept. LindeX automatically matches up buy and sell offers as they come in.
In order to activate your option to perform limit buys and sells, you must set your Linden Dollar Exchange Settings to Advanced. If you are buying, you must have sufficient US$ credit on your Second Life account to pay for the buy order.
To set up a limit buy:
- Go to https://secondlife.com/my/lindex/buy.php
- Under Limit Buy, enter the Quantity of L$ you wish to purchase.
- Next to Exchange Rate in L$ / US$1.00, enter the minimum exchange rate you will accept.
- Click Offer to Buy.
- Enter your Second Life password when prompted.
To set up a limit sell:
- Go to https://secondlife.com/my/lindex/sell.php
- Under Offer to Sell Linden Dollars (Limit Sell), enter the Quantity of L$ you wish to sell.
- Next to Exchange Rate in L$ / US$1.00, enter the maximum exchange rate you will accept.
- Click Offer to Sell.
If you change your mind about how many Linden dollars you wish to buy or sell, or the rate you are willing to accept, you can cancel an offer in progress on the LindeX: Transaction History page.
|Note: Because LindeX exchange rates fluctuate, you may have to wait for some time before your limit buy or sell completes at your desired rate. If you set your minimum exchange rate too high, your transaction may be delayed indefinitely.|
You can earn Linden dollars by selling goods or offering services to other Residents. If you're interested in becoming a merchant, read about Selling in the Marketplace. Check out the Guide to Jobs in Second Life for a tour through some of the jobs our Residents have come up with.
If you bought Linden Dollars (L$) through the LindeX, they should show up in your balance more or less instantly. So if they don't appear instantly (or after a reasonable wait time), something may be wrong.
As a first step, you may want to check the Second Life Blog to see if we're already aware of the problem and working to fix it. Chances are good that if it's something that affects a large number of Residents, we're already on it.
If it looks like a problem that only affects you, then open a support case.
The rates quoted on the LindeX are approximate estimates, and not a guarantee of an exact transaction amount.
When a market order is placed, the order is filled with the lowest-priced L$ available at the time the order is placed. The market is very active, so an order seen as available might be gone by the time you place a new order.
If you'd like to purchase L$ at a specific price, consider placing a limit order.
See Billing and Trading Limits to check your limits and ensure that your difficulties are actually related to your billing and trading limits. Your level will be highlighted if you're logged in.
If this does appear to be the difficulty, you may request a review of your account to increase your limits by submitting a support case:
- Under What type of problem are you having? select Billing.
- Under Billing, select LindeX Billing and Trading Limits Review Reqest.
- Fill out the remaining fields as instructed, then click Submit.
We'll review your request and get back to you within five business days.
Don't panic! If you just logged in and your L$ amount, shown in the upper-right corner of the screen, says "Loading", it just means your L$ balance hasn't been loaded yet and will eventually appear. Sometimes, this is due to server issues, when we're experiencing heavy load and the data can't be retrieved quickly.
Remember, while you wait inworld, you can also check your Linden Dollar balance on the Your Account section of the website.
|Note: This is different from your balance unexpectedly appearing as "L$0", which does in fact mean that all your L$ are gone. To prevent such an unfortunate incident from happening, please familiarize yourself with our Terms of Service and don't share your account.|
If you have waited five full minutes and your L$ balance still reads as "Loading", you can try the following tricks to try to force your balance to appear:
- Try teleporting to another Region.
- Try logging out of Second Life, and then log back in, preferably in a different Region. Giving the viewer a second chance to load your information often resolves the problem.
- Ask a friend to pay you L$1. If you're really nice, give it back afterward!
- Try bulk uploading a single image, sound, or animation. Make sure only to try to upload one item! Each attempt costs you L$10.
Obviously we don't expect you to spend large sums of Linden dollars in order to find out how many you have; if your problem persists, you should file a help ticket via our Support Portal.
It is not currently possible to view Linden dollar (L$) transactions older than 30 days. You can download all transactions in the past 30 days as an Excel spreadsheet for later reference. To download your transaction history:
- Go to https://secondlife.com/account/transactions.php
- In the From field, choose the earliest possible date
- Click the View (up to 500) button
- View your transactions or download them in XML or XLS format.
I have sold Linden dollars. How do I transfer my money out of Second Life?
You may choose to withdraw your US dollar balance via PayPal or bank wire. To process a credit transfer, go to Process Credit. For more information about your options and limitations, see Account Balance.