How subtle avatar looks affects relationship to others

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3261 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Becabecca wrote:

But it's interesting how even small things can have an effect on how other percieve us.

Are you talking from the male point of view now?

I speak as one whose thing is not at all small, and that makes a difference too.

[Or are you referring to letter order, which may appear trivial, but can have a massive impact on those who care.]

LaskyaClaren wrote:

ZoeTick wrote:

Here is a partial list of people that women try to make themselves attractive - in rl
and
sl - for:

1. Other women

2. Themselves

3. Potential partners

The first three on this list are surprisingly insightful, Zoe. 

Motorists and wolf-whistlers though don't even figure on the list, for most of us anyway.

I am surprised that you are surprised.

[Why do you think I put them some way down a list I specified was incomplete? And no comment on the position of existing partners - presumably too obviously true, yet uncomfortably embarrassing, to be worthy of response.]

I think you are onto something....

My sl partner use to say he didnt like it when I changed hair...until I told him 'its just different styles' lol even though some longer or curlier. (for him) I tended to stay same colour. He got use to it.

When I started talking about the mesh bodies he thought it unnecessary for me to change and also he was use to 'my looks' and wasnt keen on me changing. We talked about it for a while and I after I assured him my 'head' would remain the same, I tried the demo...I went for it.  And it was ok. 

I do feel our avis become an identity all of their own and any major changes need to be gradual (if you have someone special in your life).  

As for the 'big eyes'  that might be fun.  I do use the smile in open chat and would love some more emotions/facial expresions.  I hear the new mesh head have expressions...so maybe I try one next!

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

It took you seven years to discover fire?

Please tell me I'm the one who got you started.

;-).

haha Maddie, love that answer

but Coby  >>>>you did morph into a beautiful avi.  You wouldnt want to go back, would you?

CheriColette wrote:

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

It took you seven years to discover fire?

Please tell me I'm the one who got you started.

;-).

haha Maddie, love that answer

but Coby  >>>>you did morph into a beautiful avi.  You wouldnt want to go back, would you?

Thing is, in 2007 that look totally rocked.  It is only retrospectively when we see the change that we consider the current look the better one.  She did the best she could with the tools available in 2007.

CheriColette wrote:

I still have that 2007 avatar saved in my inventory. It comes handy in certain situations.

Such as: Out of the blue, distant IM, caller some 100 meters away:

Them: wow! hi

Me: ?

Them: u hot! let's go and and have some fun

Me: What kind of fun you have in mind?

Them: i know a place, hot animations! i can TP you. wanna go?

Me: Oh. You're so kind to invite me. Thanks. :matte-motes-smile: Just a moment I change my outfit...

Them: :smileysurprised: what did you do? :smileyindifferent: :matte-motes-sick:

Me: This is my "having fun outfit" :matte-motes-smile:. Let's go?

Them: oh crap :smileyfrustrated:! change back, change back...   pleeeaase... :matte-motes-crying:

:smileywink: :smileyvery-happy:

(I'm evil. Sometimes.) :matte-motes-evil-invert:

Hey I am gonna put it out like this and the same thing applies to men too. This has been my experiance. First most men do not care if a woman changes her av, but if your in a relationship they do like to feel some what included in on what your doing. Because if your woman just up and changes her av apearance and her reason is cause her so called guy friend said it would look better. That's your tell tell sign right there she's cheating. It ain't the fact men have a issue with ya changing your avatar, but we are gonna want to know why. lol Plus it's little things too. You get use to seeing a certain av look with your woman it's take a minute to get use to a totally new one. My last SL relationship we had taken tons of pictures and I mean tons and then certain folks got into her head and she changed her av so many times unless you read the name over her head you wouldn't recognize her. And not once were any of those changes based off my thoughts or feelings. I just logged in to change. So it's not the actual av change that effects or impacts the relationship what it is, is the reasons behind the change. That's what more often then not causes problems right there.

Venus Petrov wrote:

Is this by any chance the same boring person you're Skyping with?  Just trying to connect the dots. . .

It would be easier to do that if he used paragraph breaks occasionally after some of the dots . . .

Coby Foden wrote:

CheriColette wrote:

I still have that 2007 avatar saved in my inventory. It comes handy in certain situations.

Such as: Out of the blue, distant IM, caller some 100 meters away:

Them:
wow! hi

Me:
?

Them:
u hot! let's go and and have some fun

Me:
What kind of fun you have in mind?

Them:
i know a place, hot animations! i can TP you. wanna go?

Me:
Oh. You're so kind to invite me. Thanks. :matte-motes-smile: Just a moment I change my outfit...

Them: :smileysurprised:
what did you do? :smileyindifferent:
:matte-motes-sick:

Me:
This is my "having fun outfit" :matte-motes-smile:. Let's go?

Them:
oh crap :smileyfrustrated:! change back, change back...   pleeeaase... :matte-motes-crying:

:smileywink: :smileyvery-happy:

(I'm evil. Sometimes.) :matte-motes-evil-invert:

Dog giggles.gif

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3261 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.