Help With Game Involving Gun - Can't Fire

Brittneie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2260 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I am a noob to Second Life. I haven't even been on here a week. But, I am trying to play a game I found that requires shooting a gun. I go into mouselook mode and I hit the left mouse button (which is what the instructions say to do) and the gun will not fire. The directions say to remove any AO I may be using. Through research, I have learned about animation overrides. I don't think that I am wearing any (at least I don't see any). I removed everything I was wearing just in case and changed into something different and I selected the 'stop animating me' option a few times. I tried to find the name of the game developer to send a message asking for advice but didn't know how to find that information. There wasn't a notecard anywhere in the world. Other people are playing the game but I couldn't get any help from them. I know that the issue is with me though if I am the only one who cannot figure it out. I am using the regular SL viewer. Any ideas what could be wrong? I'd like to think I covered all the bases but is there something I have missed? Thanks for any help!

The firing mechanism has probably become gunged up by lag. You will have to disassemble the weapon, clean each of the components with a piece of mesh and Peter's PR Snake Oil, then build it again, making sure that you don't accidentally reverse the dynamic director, otherwise you will end up shooting yourself in the foot!

If you have further problems with this just message Ebbe direct; he knows all about software that doesn't work.

In addition to are you actually wearing the gun...

Does the gun require manually loading? Try typing 'reload' into chat. Perhaps there is a HUD you need to wear to do this, or the gun might have an automatic reload feature which needs turning on (again, maybe with a HUD).

I don't think an AO actually stops the gun working, it just means you don't appear to point it. It should still work and fire at the aimpoint. Certainly that's been my experience with what I've used, so that's probably not the issue. Still best to eliminate everything you can though.

Yes, I am wearing the gun and yes, I am wearing the HUD but its weird. Neither show up in the inventory but the instructions specify that this is normal. It does not require reload. It is a simple gun that you detach at the end of the game. You do not keep it. Its really strange. Maybe I should just look for a different game? But I have tried removing it and re-equiping it and this doesn't work. I literally don't know what else to do. There is no scripting error that could cause this to happen is there? (something simple a noob could figure out?) :3

Not sure how you are wearing it if it isn't in your inventory... but.. It would help alot if we knew what the game was you are trying to play.

Some paintball games you have to activate the gun by doing stuff on the hud or clicking the gun... Other games like those by planes, trains and automobiles or shooting ranges like Taitech's just use any gun with linden damage. Grims combat system so far as I recall the Hud is for recording damage to you, rather like a hit point meter.. your gun should shoot the zombies without the hud.

Without knowing what system you are using it is hard to advise you. To find that out r-click the game and find edit. look in the first tab (I expect it will show that by default) and you should see the creators name and also the name of the game.

Ahh, so it is temporarily attached by something in-world, directly to you, rather than something you are really given and have to attach from your inventory. (using llAttachToAvatarTemp for us scripters)

I think we would need to actually take a look at the game site and try it, to know anything more. I would, anyway - I've not used that system. I have my own guns :smileywink:

I can't think of any particular reason why it would work not work for you, based on the current info.

Best bet is to try and contact the game admin.

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2260 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.