What if Second Life changed name?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it my impression only or is the name "Second Life" very 2003...? it's self descriptive, in cases even in a misleading manner?. Many people are embarrased to admit they get on "second life" nowdays. Names such as "High Fidelity" seem more mysterious and welcoming curiosity. Maybe SL has lost new registrations because the name is not motivative enough? What is your own view? What other names could it be called?

some are on the opinion that Second Life should change its name.

it was originally thought as a form to recreate life digitally, with the advancement of technology that was available at that time, it sound impressive, challenging, innovative, as the years went by more ideas were developed, and second life, like many older techonologies, were moved a little out of mainstream to let the new ideas have the spotlight, the name got in consideration, and yes, some things that could be updated were found in it.

for example, "second", second could be percieved as second class, second place, being always in the shadow of something greater, second place is never the best.

"life", as it was intended, it was to reflect a technological marvel, but during the years, mainstream took it as quiting or devalue real life, as a competitor to real life, second life users as betrayers of real life, people start saying that second life users dont have a life (meaning being very social, and having a succesful job), suggesting many negative things against what they didnt understand, showcasing their ignorance inveting things about second life users in order to defend real life, maybe they were influenced by a problem that we still see today, based on ingorance, many dont understand computers and the internet yet, or anything digital, so they are uncomfortable in not understanding something that they havent participated yet, they make up excuses for ther lack of participation in a modern society, and defend themselves creating negative concepts about technology, they still see  the use of modern phones as an ilness of society, juslt like modern phones, they attack the other life that is taking people away from real life, without knowing that people use it for their jobs, as entertainment, as a learning tool, or training.

some names have been sggested, such as Utopia, VirtualWorld, or other ones, i think it will be good for Second Life to change its name, altought many old residents have grown fond of the name for nostalgic puposes, so Linden Lab would probably find opposition from them.

what I have noticed is that people who openly mix their RL and SL have the least concerns about the name

is most noticeable in live performers. They often refer/infer to SL as a venue in their voice chat between songs. A place in which to perform. Same like Bobs Bar, Pink Club, Underground Easy, etc

they say phrases like: I really enjoy performing here in ThisVenue in SecondLife

I think if Second Life changed it's name it should be called "LIFE ENHANCEMENT".

Second Life can enhance your first life in many ways.

Also, I think people have lost the real meaning of "Second Life".

"Second Life" has become too real and too many people think that in order to 'enjoy' the company of another person they must know everything about that person's "Real Life".  Or, they think if they do not voice or video with someone on Second Life that there must be something terribly wrong with that person. They are missing the whole experience of "Second Life", in my opinion. In my opinion, people should try to experience the virtual experience of "Second Life", in that they feel and see in a virtual way or spiritual way. There is a whole new 'LIFE' in this experience. Get to know people on the inside and use your imagination. Let your imagination soar. Don't be such a realist. I am in Second Life to enhance my First Life and to enhance the life of others. The day it begins to destroy me is the day I walk away. However, I am stronger than to let it destroy. That is a decision each of us have to make. Why are you here in Second Life? Are you just skimming the surface and never let yourself get emotionally involved? Are you afraid of getting 'hurt'? Who can hurt your? You can only be hurt if you let yourself be hurt or you give too much personal life history to someone you don't even know, which is the dumbest thing you can possibly do.  Let each experience you have in SL be a lesson and don't let it take you down to a pitiful state.

Second Life is not my First Life, but it does ENHANCE my total being. Also, Second Life would be nothing if you were here alone. It is the community of wonderful thousands of humans that make up the experience. SL is an experience and you have control of what kind of experience it can be for you. I don't beleive this site was originally set up as a 'dating' site, otherwise this would exclude us married people.  You, however, have the ultimate decision of what Second Life means to you. 

tru about people mixing RL and SL.  SL was origionaly created for game designers and builders to create things. It was not intended to mix with reality. For instance so many "realistic" urban sims. Personaly sl sould stay sl and leave reality out of it. Reality in sl just ruens the whole virtual expierience. As for the name Second Life, I see no issues with the name and don't think it needs changing.

sound like looking for a second life to me,find a job,get a family,never get late lol.
for me sl is more a place to make what is impossible in real,

look like anything ,fly like a bird,swim like a fish,build a twisted building,
make a space ship an explore other world,

in second life you can go in a future city then tp to a old city then tp to a fantasy world,

world of infinity,between time,and fantasy,you can make anything.

Changing your name to cast off a tepid reputation will be seen as a hollow marketing ploy by anyone who knew the old name, which is all of us. Similarly, hanging an "Under new management!" sign in the window only works if something else about the business actually changes. This may explain why LL's never done either.

I suppose we could entertain the idea of Second Life getting a second life via a name change to attract new users, but SL's new user retention rate is currently zero percent. I don't think that 100% loss rate is due to the name. A pizzeria might not attract hungry customers if they're named "Happy Time Laundry", but if the pizza is good enough, those who enter with a basket of dirty clothes and an appetite will spread the word. SL needs better pizza, not a better name.

SL to me when I first joined up, Was Having fun, doing pretty much anything it has offered. I won't go into full detail too long, But later on I had started a Sonic Store called "Sonic Productions" the whole store is community operated not here in SL to make money just help create items for the community as it's something I do on my free time and also My Friends in SL are like my friends in RL, I care for them just as much as I do in rl no matter how far they are from me I care for them so much that I am willing to defend and fight for them.

Me being in SL I touch a lot of people and changed a lot of things through my actions, I made a lot of friends due to my extremely kind mood. I had grown attached to the Word Second Life, It gives a meaning to me that I can be anyone (Avatar) that are not possible in RL.

As I do not want to be a Human in SL if I am in RL. But yea I touched many peoples lives, I even met Korissaa who became someone vary specal to me.

Although I do not mix RL with SL for example RL Work and Drama should remain in RL. There's a thing that SL can do is change you. I changed a lot through 7 years of being in SL and I am not the same person as the day I Joined or before joining. I am a whole new "Hedgehog" I joined SL on 09/17/2007.

As for changing SL's name is a tough question, There could be many words used but I think it's current name is fine as it is even though it's rather out of date. It's more simple, I grown to liking the name but I know there are people that tend to get abit hateful or hostile mentioning it, When people do I do try to show the good side of SL. You won't like it unless you had someone there guiding you as Second Life has heavy learning curve that's hard to grasp, I am happy to be your mentor\Teacher.

I do try to recommend new residents Firestorm so it be easier on me to teach them. Anyways I think those that quit SL beacuse they hate it if mentioned by it's name, I think those should give it a second chance and If they knew me then they will have a lot of fun.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.