"Pay Group Liabilities..." enabled in a shop's group I'm in

Vulpinus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's come to my attention that one of the shop's groups that I'm in has "Pay Group Liabilities and Receive Group Dividends" enabled in the Everyone group (which we are all in of course).

My guess is this is potentially not a good thing?

Just checking with the wiser folks around here...

It's definitely not a good thing. There are several old threads about it here, such as this one:

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Land/Pay-group-liabilities-and-receive-group-dividends-field-in-group/qaq-p/2003595

As far as I know, group liabilities is no longer enabled by default for regular members but if it's an old group it may never have been changed.

Thanks - that's what I thought and exactly what I've done. The owner seems very decent so I doubt it's anything deliberate.

Someone claimed to have had money taken, but I can't see that I have, and the few others on at the time don't think they have either. I'm taking that with a large pinch of salt.

I can't really imagine a group owner enabling group liabilities for everybody on purpose. Even the most dishonest and stupid person would think both twice and thrice before doing something with so litte to gain and so much to loose.

Yeah, having read your linked thread on what little could be taken I see what you mean. The group doesn't even have any land linked to it. I'm even more suspicious about the person who announced the fact saying what they did.

Anyway, I've sent a message to the owner so it should get sorted. Panick (not that there was on my part anyway) over.

Vulpinus wrote:

It's come to my attention that one of the shop's groups that I'm in has "Pay Group Liabilities and Receive Group Dividends" enabled in the Everyone group (which we are all in of course).

My guess is this is potentially not a good thing?

Just checking with the wiser folks around here...

Which group is this? None of The Shops groups I am in have this set to anyone by the owner role.

Vulpinus wrote:

The group doesn't even have any land linked to it.

If the group is not associated with land in any way then the group would never be indebted and therefore have zero liability.

It doesn't matter if the group has it enabled or not if there's nothing to pay. Enabled is simply the default setting.

Just a note (not accusing you or anyone else) - I've seen people "concern trolling" group-owners to fix this unnecessarily. Would assume people are getting more proactive in checking.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Vulpinus wrote:

The group doesn't even have any land linked to it.

If the group is not associated with land in any way then the group would never be indebted and therefore have zero liability.

Not exactly.  Land holdings or not,  if the group uses any classified advertising, that debt would be charged weekly.  Also, if I recall correctly, there is a small charge to have the group listed in "search" ... that too, would be a liability.

Dana Dielli wrote:

Not exactly.  Land holdings or not,  if the group uses any classified advertising, that debt would be charged weekly.  Also, if I recall correctly, there is a small charge to have the group listed in "search" ... that too, would be a liability.

Group listing in Search is free. Listing a parcel (associating the group with Land) in Search is not.

Are Classifieds still a thing? I've not seen them since Viewer 1 went out the door - when they were listed in peoples' Profiles. I'll concede the point but it's easy to imagine there's many groups where neither is likely to apply.

My point was more that people see this checkbox as ticked and react without realising that it's not necessarily a true indicator.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Dana Dielli wrote:

Group listing in Search is free. Listing a
parcel
(associating the group with Land) in Search is not.

Are Classifieds still a thing? I've not seen them since Viewer 1 went out the door - when they were listed in peoples' Profiles. I'll concede the point but it's easy to imagine there's many groups where neither is likely to apply.

My point was more that people see this checkbox as ticked and react without realising that it's not necessarily a true indicator.

I see them every so often when i am profile perving... not often though.

Yeah, I'm not understanding how a group would even go about placing a classified ad. Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

I know group-owned objects cannot llGiveMoney nor llTransferLindenDollars (because there's no way for the script to get PERMISSION_DEBIT), so that's no way for the group to incur liabilities. On the other hand, a scripted object with a money() event handler can be paid, and all proceeds are distributed equally among group members with the "Pay Group Liabilities..." ability.

Otherwise, I'm not thinking of anything involving that permission that isn't also land related.

Vulpinus wrote:

Happens often I've found...

Its one more reason to dislike groups that make you pay to join... Because then you have to decide if its worth leaving when they start using you to pay their listing fees...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.