Just started

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there and welcome to SL :-)

I would say to start off trying to build something a bit smaller to start with, like a house or a skybox.Go to a sandbox to learn the basics. There are always people around who can help you.

To build a cathedral is a big task for even an experienced builder so I would advise  you to build up to that when you get more used to building, you need to get used to working with co-ordinates and shaping prims first :-)

Good luck and have fun!

Cait xD

There are a lot of videos on Youtube on building. And In the wiki is good resources for building.. What I did was attend an in world class to learn the basics of how to for 1 day. Then ran off to my own land and started to learn to shape and twist prims and also joined a group with a lot of helpful people who have a good deal of knowledge on building.

Search In world Second Life Events for some basic building classes.. :smileyindifferent:

You will enjoy building and creating.. Lots of fun :)

I second Caitlin's advice.  Start smaller.  If you were starting off as a painter, you wouldn't just jump up and do the Sistine Chapel.  If you were a writer, you wouldn't start off with the great american novel.  The same is true in building and scripting in second life -- learn to walk before you run.

First make a boring square home with four walls, and four prims for the roof.  Learn how to texture each side individually.  Learn how to make a triangle out of a square using the Cutout in Edit/Object.  Learn how to make a window hole in a wall using Hollow.  Spend a week getting some basics down.  Then and only then will you be ready to attack bigger projects with the skills necessary to attempt them.

Hi and welcome to SL!

1. Search and join all building relevant groups in-world, and follow the group chat, and you can do this while busy with something else. People are always asking questions there and getting lots of answers.

2. Get very familiar with edit panel and your viewer interface.

3. Enjoy while doing this! :) Good luck!

Casimire wrote:

Just started playing today with the free account.  I was interested in building a cathedral.  But have no idea where to begin on how to build it.  Any tips or help would be appreciated.  Thank you

Woohoo! I love your enthusiam and thinking BIG! A prim is a prim regardless of the size.  Why not start with something you can be proud of. :)

This is the pulpit in a cathedral I built. You gave me a great idea BTW. I will be sharing it soon. :smileyhappy:

Church1.PNG

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.