Are infohubs a good place to meet friends?

Suspiria Finucane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4795 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't know about Infohubs, few I go to have ever had many people, but TELEHUBS on the other hand...

The great thing about telehubs is people are ALWAYS there, because people who try to go to a region that's down are immediately sent to telehub. :smileyvery-happy:

So people are often there, sometimes very confused, and sometimes people are just sitting around watching as people fall in to see what sort of people ARE falling in. Sometimes you get some pretty weird and funny stuff happening.

The only problem is that if there's several regions across the grid offline people are trying to get to, they're all being rerouted to the telehub which can make them EXTREMELY laggy enviornments. If you go to one, just pick a place to sit cause usually in the rezz zone there's a crapload of people bumping into each other and causing 2fps for everyone.

Generally, I find telehubs to be a lot of fun and there's always a lot of people wanting to talk, and often a lot of new people too that need help. Sorry I can't help much about infohubs but if you want to meet more people, I think telehubs would be something good to try too.

There are around 20 or 30 info hubs, I forget. Some locations are shoe horned into densely packed Mainland areas and might be a bit busy.

I like to visit a few info hubs and enjoy spending some time helping newer Residents. Each info hub is home for many residents. Most hubs have a few residents who are regulars in the region.

Korea 1, 2, 3 or 4 is a good hub.

Violet

Dore is a busy hub I think

Help Island  Public 

I might have my hubs mixed up.

Just because I don't know the name of where I'm going doesn't mean I don't know how to get there.   

Ai Velde wrote:

I don't know about Infohubs, few I go to have ever had many people, but TELEHUBS on the other hand...

The great thing about telehubs is people are ALWAYS there, because people who try to go to a region that's down are immediately sent to telehub. :smileyvery-happy:

So people are often there, sometimes very confused, and sometimes people are just sitting around watching as people fall in to see what sort of people ARE falling in. Sometimes you get some pretty weird and funny stuff happening.

The only problem is that if there's several regions across the grid offline people are trying to get to, they're all being rerouted to the telehub which can make them EXTREMELY laggy enviornments. If you go to one, just pick a place to sit cause usually in the rezz zone there's a crapload of people bumping into each other and causing 2fps for everyone.

Generally, I find telehubs to be a lot of fun and there's always a lot of people wanting to talk, and often a lot of new people too that need help. Sorry I can't help much about infohubs but if you want to meet more people, I think telehubs would be something good to try too.

Thanks for the info :smileyhappy:

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

I've read a bit about infohubs but have never visited one. Are they good places to make friends?

Hi Suspiria!

Info Hubs are generally full of people, both old an new.  They are quite often the target of aggressive griefing attacks.  I go out to one most weekends, to help new people!

Peace!

Wilhiam Hydraconis wrote:

Avoid Infohubs at all costs. The most venemous scum of Second Life reside there. They're the worst places to make friends. They're the best places to make enemies.

I agree Wil!  You have to be very tough skinned to stomach an info hub!

Peace!

Wilhiam Hydraconis wrote:

Hippie Bowman wrote:

I agree Wil!  You have to be very tough skinned to stomach an info hub!

Peace!

Far out, right on and peace to you, Hippie !
;)

Here's a
of how infohubs are infested with vindictiveness ( watch it .. not for the fainthearted ).

Peace and good will to you my friend Wil!  Good video!

Peace!

Hm, calculated maneuver to dump on some people's projects?

Hippie, when you use the all-purpose term "infohubs" I don't think you're distinguishing among four types of properties the Lindens run:

1. Welcome Areas -- most trafficked, most griefed

2. Orientation Areas

3. Linden Infohubs

4. Resident Developed Infohubs on Linden Lab

I work on two infohubs, one which is part of the Resident Info Hubs in Ross and the other which is a Linden infohub Iris.

The Resident Infohubs are the legacy of a 2005 Linden program to replace the old Telehubs with Infohubs designed by residents who owned property on them (you could either sell back your infohub land to the Lindens and be compensated, or opt to develop the land for public use). There are about 14 of them. All together there are about 40 of the Linden-owned infohubs, Linden properties (like the Governor's Mansion) and resident-made hubs.

These should not be confused with the Welcome Areas like Moose Beach which are the most heavily trafficked because the new-user system currently routes everybody who skips orientation to these large areas -- people who go through orientation have the option to click on a notecard giver and be randomly delivered to one of the Linden or Resident infohubs.

In my view, welcome areas are more griefed,more filled with jerks hanging out all day and annoying other people, trying to fly under the radar not to be banned, and "wall-sitters," cliques of people who hang out and chat. The Lindens have designated on Destinations some areas as "chat locations" to try to make virtue out of a necessity.

It's a good thing that there are open public places like this in SL. But it seems that the Lindens simply don't have the manpower to police them and they easily fall prey to gangs.

The resident-made infohubs are better kept up, more frequently updated and more orderly because there are residents at them invested in making and refreshing the content, helping people and also regularly abuse-reporting griefers. They don't have any special powers to ban anyone or anything like that, and are not in a guild like the old Mentors as Linden pretty much ignore them, but I think many people are happy with their resident infohub experience and come back frequently for visits or hang out.

Many people indeed make friends at infohubs, I see it all the time. And even the more sleazy welcome areas are in fact places for people to make connections, like it or not. There needs to be better circuit-riding of Lindens through them, however.

Prokofy Neva wrote:

Hm, calculated maneuver to dump on some people's projects?

Hippie, when you use the all-purpose term "infohubs" I don't think you're distinguishing among four types of properties the Lindens run:

1. Welcome Areas -- most trafficked, most griefed

2. Orientation Areas

3. Linden Infohubs

4. Resident Developed Infohubs on Linden Lab

I work on two infohubs, one which is part of the Resident Info Hubs in Ross and the other which is a Linden infohub Iris.

The Resident Infohubs are the legacy of a 2005 Linden program to replace the old Telehubs with Infohubs designed by residents who owned property on them (you could either sell back your infohub land to the Lindens and be compensated, or opt to develop the land for public use). There are about 14 of them. All together there are about 40 of the Linden-owned infohubs, Linden properties (like the Governor's Mansion) and resident-made hubs.

These should not be confused with the Welcome Areas like Moose Beach which are the most heavily trafficked because the new-user system currently routes everybody who skips orientation to these large areas -- people who go through orientation have the option to click on a notecard giver and be randomly delivered to one of the Linden or Resident infohubs.

In my view, welcome areas are more griefed,more filled with jerks hanging out all day and annoying other people, trying to fly under the radar not to be banned, and "wall-sitters," cliques of people who hang out and chat. The Lindens have designated on Destinations some areas as "chat locations" to try to make virtue out of a necessity.

It's a good thing that there are open public places like this in SL. But it seems that the Lindens simply don't have the manpower to police them and they easily fall prey to gangs.

The resident-made infohubs are better kept up, more frequently updated and more orderly because there are residents at them invested in making and refreshing the content, helping people and also regularly abuse-reporting griefers. They don't have any special powers to ban anyone or anything like that, and are not in a guild like the old Mentors as Linden pretty much ignore them, but I think many people are happy with their resident infohub experience and come back frequently for visits or hang out.

Many people indeed make friends at infohubs, I see it all the time. And even the more sleazy welcome areas are in fact places for people to make connections, like it or not. There needs to be better circuit-riding of Lindens through them, however.

You are right Prokofy.  I stand corrected!

Peace!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4795 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.