The Forums Are Far Too Boring

Magnus Brody

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

LlazarusLlong wrote:

That would, of course, eliminate the moonlighting of most interns or probationary technical staff, inter alia, who probably believe that a semi-colon's sole purpose is to end a C statement.

and also believing Oct 31 == Dec 25 

Merrry Christmas!

TDD123 wrote:

/me crosses his arms over his chest.

You want constructive feedback ? Ok : You'd better lock this threat right now before your superiors will tell you to.

That's the only way it can be stopped.

Until you eventually decide to ban those causing all of this ... like your predecessors have. :robotindifferent.

This is presumably an excellent example of a PRIC.

(That's a Public Report of Inappropriate Content, of course.)

As an aside, is it ironic that the only thread of any interest in the forums currently is the one that claims the forums are far too boring?

(Of course, it's not actually ironic; but the ignorami will accurately misunderstand what I mean and the illuminati will forgive me my egregious error, I am sure.)

DejaHo wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

That would, of course, eliminate the moonlighting of most interns or probationary technical staff, inter alia, who probably believe that a semi-colon's sole purpose is to end a C statement.

and also believing Oct 31 == Dec 25 

Merrry Christmas!

Can I throw in my lavatory graffito that Douglas "borrowed"? 42 = 9 x 6 [base 13]

Perrie Juran wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Omg what was that tough girls name that got banned?She was always calling her parents The Rents? hehehe

She was a blast!

Darlene maybe? Oo

Last I heard she'd got a life.

Yes,it was a perma ban..

She scammed a pervert into buying an Elevator Pass from her. 

The pervert didn't take kindly to that.

The charge was "Impersonating a Linden."

Daria Afterthought

I miss her,  we had some good conversations..

Xiola Linden wrote:

Hello all,

This thread has been a very interesting read - and I wanted to touch on a few things as well as to ask some questions about what you feel would
make the forums a more interesting place for all Second Life Residents

In regards to moderation - the moderators do their best in helping to uphold the ToS and Community Participation Guidelines, however if you feel that a mistake or misunderstanding was made, the best route is to
contact support
so it can be reviewed. 

One thing we'd like to do is
start more threads that will allow feedback on announcements here in the forums
, but it sounds like you may have some additional ideas about what you would like to see and what you think would make the forums more interesting. What other channels do you think may help contribute to the community here as well?

We appreciate your constructive feedback!

This is an impossibility. 

Since when has Support been responsible for dealing with issues that occur on the forum?

Start making your announcements in the Forums FIRST as opposed to leaking them on 3rd party outlets. Make the Forum the Go To place for LL information/news, not bloody FaceBorg.

Apologise, publicly, to Void!

Xiola Linden wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

Xiola Linden wrote:

if you feel that a mistake or misunderstanding was made, the best route is to contact support so it can be reviewed. 

How?

Via the support portal here: 

And how do you do that when your account has been terminated because of a "mistake or misunderstanding"?

TDD123 wrote:

DejaHo wrote:

But I did hit the target. 

Je hersenen lijden blijkbaar gebrek aan zuurstof door je constante zoeken van spijkers op laag water .. en je verzuipt enkel in je eigen
gezeik
, sukkel ..

Godverdomme, wat ben ik al dat engelstalig schorum zat dat pretendeert slim te zijn en steeds maar oude koeien uit de sloot blijft halen ... :robotindifferent:

That is a no no word here...

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

TDD123 wrote:

DejaHo wrote:

Je hersenen lijden blijkbaar gebrek aan zuurstof door je constante zoeken van spijkers op laag water .. en je verzuipt enkel in je eigen
gezeik
, sukkel ..

Godverdomme, wat ben ik al dat engelstalig schorum zat dat pretendeert slim te zijn en steeds maar oude koeien uit de sloot blijft halen ... :robotindifferent:

Sure .. report it.

It's still true. :robotindifferent:

TDD123 wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

TDD123 wrote:

DejaHo wrote:

gezeik
, sukkel ..

Sure .. report it.

It's still true. :robotindifferent:

I don't RIC posts unless they are really nasty and blatently against the CS. Like the spammers. Personally i think the *bleep* words should be allowed in the adult section... make people have to log in to view that section and only allow adults into it..

DejaHo wrote:

Xiola Linden wrote:

1) what you think would make the forums more interesting

2) What other channels do you think may help contribute to the community here as well?

I've numbered them for readability. 

No. 1)

I think you are trying to fool us with this question.  Read again the posts above.  Many posters outside of the 10-15 everyday posters to this forum think that because of the moderation, intelligence; humor; sarcasm; irony, and wit, are forbidden.  Like I wrote, read the above posts again.  Focus on a couple of Dres's posts. 

No. 2)

Insofar as "other channels", well, that's an easy one.  Intelligent OP's, smart, humorous responses; clever people writing clever English for the purposes of entertaining other forumites. 

Imo, Xiola, and with the respect due a Linden, I think your post is fluff.

The post was a genuine and heart-felt interest in getting more feedback -  not just on the things that have been discussed already in this thread, but additional thoughts and ideas on what would make the forums more interesting to all Residents (old, new, forum-lurking, high participation, or any others who come to the forums). My hope it to take that input and feedback and try to put it to the benefit of the community here in the forums.

I understand that there are concerns about some moderation decisions. That point has been made and noted, and currently, those questions can be addressed via the support channel. 

Xiola Linden wrote:

DejaHo wrote:

Xiola Linden wrote:

1) what you think would make the forums more interesting

2) What other channels do you think may help contribute to the community here as well?

I've numbered them for readability. 

No. 1)

I think you are trying to fool us with this question.  Read again the posts above.  Many posters outside of the 10-15 everyday posters to this forum think that because of the moderation, intelligence; humor; sarcasm; irony, and wit, are forbidden.  Like I wrote, read the above posts again.  Focus on a couple of Dres's posts. 

No. 2)

Insofar as "other channels", well, that's an easy one.  Intelligent OP's, smart, humorous responses; clever people writing clever English for the purposes of entertaining other forumites. 

Imo, Xiola, and with the respect due a Linden, I think your post is fluff.

The post was a
geniune
and heart-felt interest in getting more feedback -  not just on the things that have been discussed already in this thread, but additional thoughts and ideas on what would make the forums more interesting to all Residents (old, new, forum-lurking, high
partipation
, or any others who come to the forums). My hope it to take that input and feedback and try to put it to the benefit of the community here in the forums.

I understand that there are concerns about some moderation decisions. That point has been made and noted, and currently, those questions can be 
addressed via the support channel. 

It would be really useful if the forum posting editor had a built-in spell-checker.

Oh, that's right, it does.

But some people don't have sufficient respect for their potential readers to use it.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Thank you for reading it and replying, Xiola.

The one thing which I believe would make the greatest difference is simply requiring the moderators to state which section(s) of the ToS/CG a post was in violation when issuing their warnings.  Then, we'd know that at least some thought was put into the process and wasn't simply a blind reaction to a RIC.

Plus, requiring them to reply should someone object to their warning would be nice as well.  I'm not suggesting that they get into some ridiculous back and forth with every person who questions them... just a simple acknowledgement that what they've said has been, at least, read and hopefully given a bit of consideration.  And perhaps offer a bit of clarification if need be.

...Dres

Hi Dres,

Thank you for the response. All moderation related feedback will be shared with that team. by me, in addition to taking some of the ideas that you've mentioned and seeing what steps (if any) would make them feasible. The CG and ToS should be easy for someone to interpret and understand in the event that there are questions about a decision, but also before an event even occurs. There are many things to consider, and that is what I am hoping this thread will help with. 

Thanks again for your thoughts and time.

~Xiola

LlazarusLlong wrote:

One of the things that would make the GD Forum less boring would be for the mods to be proactive about removing tedious non-general-discussion threads which should be more properly located in other, specific, forums.

Like THIS thread should be relocated to the SPECIFIC subforum called 
. . .

Careful, they are liable to put into Events.

Derek Torvalar wrote:

LlazarusLlong wrote:

One of the things that would make the GD Forum less boring would be for the mods to be proactive about removing tedious non-general-discussion threads which should be more properly located in other, specific, forums.

Like THIS thread should be relocated to the SPECIFIC subforum called 
. . .

Careful, they are liable to put into Events.

Oh, that was probably my fault.

Along with unselectively necroposting ridiculous old threads (not using my Llazarus account - that would be a dead giveaway) I have been attempting to inject a little fun into the forums by RICking threads and requesting that they be removed to other forums which I have randomly selected; the mods usually just pick the thread up and dump it where I have asked, without checking whether it is appropriate or not.

PS "Dead giveaway" - see what I did there?

Xiola Linden wrote:

Hello all,

This thread has been a very interesting read - and I wanted to touch on a few things as well as to ask some questions about what you feel would make the forums a more interesting place for all Second Life Residents.

In regards to moderation - the moderators do their best in helping to uphold the ToS and Community Participation Guidelines, however if you feel that a mistake or misunderstanding was made, the best route is to contact support so it can be reviewed. 

One thing we'd like to do is start more threads that will allow feedback on announcements here in the forums, but it sounds like you may have some additional ideas about what you would like to see and what you think would make the forums more interesting. What other channels do you think may help contribute to the community here as well?

Well, to start you did do one thing very right here.  You posted under your actually Linden name, not some impersonal enigmatic psuedo name like Linden Lab or Commerce Team Linden that we have no idea whom we are responding to.

Sometimes things seem almost Kafkaesque, we don't know the charges against us as we are judged by unknown persons in a secret court.

Those of us who post here regularly are fairly well versed in the Community Standards.  And while I agree overall with them, they can be applied in a heavy handed way.

As an example, if someone were to call me a 'blithering idiot' so be it!  Let the people reading make up their own minds if I am or not.  That stuff doesn't always need to be deleted!

If the rhetoric is getting out of hand in a thread, a Mod should pop in and warn us to tone it down.  Not knee jerk censorship pull the posts and send people to a corner for a week.

There has been so much stuff we have discussed in the past I could write a book but it's late now for me.

And I will echo this, Void Singer still needs apologised to.  I know was a long time ago and I wouldn't expect you to do it with researching the facts.  That has been a blight on this Forum ever since it happenned. 

Perrie Juran wrote:

Xiola Linden wrote:

Hello all,

This thread has been a very interesting read - and I wanted to touch on a few things as well as to ask some questions about what you feel would make the forums a more interesting place for all Second Life Residents.

In regards to moderation - the moderators do their best in helping to uphold the ToS and Community Participation Guidelines, however if you feel that a mistake or misunderstanding was made, the best route is to contact support so it can be reviewed. 

One thing we'd like to do is start more threads that will allow feedback on announcements here in the forums, but it sounds like you may have some additional ideas about what you would like to see and what you think would make the forums more interesting. What other channels do you think may help contribute to the community here as well?

Well, to start you did do one thing very right here.  You posted under your actually Linden name, not some impersonal enigmatic psuedo name like Linden Lab or Commerce Team Linden that we have no idea whom we are responding to.

Sometimes things seem almost Kafkaesque, we don't know the charges against us as we are judged by unknown persons in a secret court.

Those of us who post here regularly are fairly well versed in the Community Standards.  And while I agree overall with them,
they can be applied in a heavy handed way.

As an example, if someone were to call me a 'blithering idiot' so be it!  Let the people reading make up their own minds if I am or not.  That stuff doesn't always need to be deleted!

If the rhetoric is getting out of hand in a thread, a Mod should pop in and warn us to tone it down.  Not knee jerk censorship pull the posts and send people to a corner for a week.

There has been so much stuff we have discussed in the past I could write a book but it's late now for me.

And I will echo this,
Void Singer
still needs apologised to.  I know was a long time ago and I wouldn't expect you to do it with researching the facts.  That has been a blight on this Forum ever since it happenned. 

This is all well and good Perrie but you are assuming that they are always acting on their own initiative. And this is not the case for the most part. Those that call attention to the 'blithering idiot' remark are forcing the knee-jerk reaction. It may be the person in question filing the AR but it also maybe just an observer not even really participating in the discussion who AR's it. And this needs to stop. The mods should be reasonable enough to let some if not most of the barbs just play, regardless of who does the ARing. Moreover, those that do AR in that circumstance should be the ones getting the week long banning.

And as for the last paragraph...you're goddammed right!!

Derek Torvalar wrote:

This is all well and good Perrie but you are assuming that they are always acting on their own initiative. And this is not the case for the most part. Those that call attention to the 'blithering idiot' remark are forcing the knee-jerk reaction. It may be the person in question filing the AR but it also maybe just an observer not even really participating in the discussion who AR's it. And this needs to stop. The mods should be reasonable enough to let some if not most of the barbs just play, regardless of who does the ARing. Moreover, those that do AR in that circumstance should be the ones getting the week long banning.

...I wonder if I could find another three or four readers who think using blue text is causing them "annoyance and alarm", and get a group-RIC going...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.