Starting with LSL

Lexie Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Builders Brewery hosts classes on scripting too. Can be easily found in world using search. And if you have issues you can ask for real time "support" in group chat. There's usually someone there willing to help where they can. I've attended a few classes now, I have the wiki bookmarked, and I also search online (usually outworldz) for open source scripts that I can learn from. But it all starts with an idea of something I want to do. Without that initial drive, learning scripting is like algebra; a lot of letters and numbers and symbols that don't make much sense until you want to solve a problem.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
On 6/3/2019 at 2:17 AM, RaeLeeH said:

Builders Brewery hosts classes on scripting too.

It's William who teaches scripting there these days and although I've never attended his classes myself (Pavl was BB's scripting teacher back when I was learning), I know him well enough I think I can strongly recommend them.

For those who want an even easier start, I'm holding a series of beginner scripters classes at the Happy Hipsters Building School in the Pandorus sim.

Once you understand the basic principles of lsl, the bar far most important resource to learn more is the wiki: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_Portal. A lot of eminent early scripters put a lot of time and effort into it so unlike msot of LL's official documentation it's very well organized and complete.

On 6/3/2019 at 2:17 AM, RaeLeeH said:

Without that initial drive, learning scripting is like algebra; a lot of letters and numbers and symbols that don't make much sense until you want to solve a problem.

Lsl and all other scripting and programming languages are very logical (except when they aren't but that's for the advanced stage) an once you've figured out the basic logic, you're more than halfway there. But they're also very unforgiving, they need you to follow exactly the right syntax, with no tyops or other deviations, so be prepared to spend more time proofreading than writing code.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Sorry to necro this...

But I believe having a subforum where beginner scripters can post their scripts asking for a Code Review will be nice.

Code Review is a mighty tool to help one become a good programmer/scripter, by pointing out where one can make things more efficient, or where one made a mistake/potential bug.

It helps scripters -- especially beginners like me -- to adopt good practices, and stamp out bad practices. And even discover new/better way of doing things.

Edited by primerib1
explain about code review

We're all learning here, and we very often post parts of our scripts that seem to be misbehaving. We post illustrative examples -- code snippets -- for each other and debate whether one approach or another is more efficient.  The whole idea of this forum is to have a space where people who are interested in improving their LSL skills can share.  That includes newbies and those of us who have been scripting for ages. I learn stuff almost every time I come here.

• Like 2

If anyone is using one of JetBrains' IDEs (IntelliJ IDEA, PyCharm, CLion, PHPStorm, etc.), you can grab the LSL.xml file from my repo:

https://github.com/clairem-sl/jetbrains-lsl-support

so the IDE will provide syntax-highlighting and some rudimentary autocomplete support.

Instructions on how to install the LSL.xml file is provided in that repo's readme.

(That repo is a fork of the original one, I of course have opened a PR for the original creator to merge, but while they haven't merged the PR, you can use my fork instead.)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 467 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.